I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant Prep. I have a date penciled in...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant Prep. I have a date penciled in...  (Read 1928 times)
carol1987

« on: December 10, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »

I have a penciled in date for a transplant.   January 6th... it will be a paired exchange (perhaps chain). 

My DH will donate on my behalf and I will receive from an altruistic donor!  I am amazed , frightened , grateful... you name it!!!!

Any tips on how to prepare for this???   I have 3 kids 21, 16 and 8 .....  The 21 year old will be between semesters ... thank goodness and both grandmas will be here.. (though they are both older...)   It is so overwhelming , thinking of both DH and  having surgery at the same time!!!

I can hardly begin to think about this.......

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:00:34 AM »

Awww, that's fantabulous Carol!  So exciting! 

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

What a great way to start the new year!  :bandance;

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »

holy cow!! this is great news!!  PLEASE keep us informed.. It's a wonderful feeling knowing you will be getting this soon.  SCARRY for sure, but for such a good reason..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »

oh great news!! That's wonderful! You could be one of the first of the 2011 IHD transplants!!!  :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow;

As for preparing... I would prepare the family for what it will be like after your surgeries - that likely it will be harder on DH - and that they will need to be very careful around you - if anyone's got a caugh or feels unwell to stay away and also to try to not overwhealm you with visitors (you will have enough medical types bugging you at all hours - at least initially). Tell them to not take any of that personally - that's the way it is and the priority is for you to recover as quickly and safely as you can. It also might be useful to remind them of some of the potential changes you face like being careful in the sun, and needing to be extra clean and all that stuff - so they know that you're not being anal with the antibacterials around you but it's important for you - and some foods like raw fish, pate, grapefruit juice and stuff will still be out for various reasons.

As for how do YOU prepare??? I think all you really can do is go in knowing that whatever happens will happen.Be aware of the risks and that if you wake up and it's not going straight out this is NOT the end of the world - it's a trauma for the kidney. Be reassured that 93% of transplants take and are still going a year later and 50% then go on to make 10 years - those are odds I like!!!!

:) :) :)

In a way I like that I had no real time to prepare - everything happened so quickly I didn't have time to panic or anything!!  :rofl; I think you will be fine and just try and take it in your stride knolwing that things will be in flux.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:06:40 AM »

2011 wil be a great year for you, Carol.

Galvo
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:12:07 AM »

I'm excited for you Carol, although I can totally relate to the nervousness too.  Another IHD member, KimCanada, just came through her paired exchange..she had her transplant in Halifax while her son donated here in Toronto.  Both are doing well.
It sounds as though you have some excellent support and that's pretty key.  2011 sounds very promising indeed!   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 06:52:41 AM »

Congratulations!  Sounds wonderful!   And what a wonderful husband you have!   :clap;

I can tell you what I did to prepare, because I had a little over a month's notice before I transplanted.  Not everyone does all this, keep in mind.  I spent my days just cleaning my home and prepairing it for me to come home.  I didn't want my husband to have to do all that and he wouldn't have really cleaned anyway.  I cleaned things that have never been cleaned before.  lol  I called my A/C people and had them come and do a thorough evaluation and cleaning on my system.  Exchanged out all the filters, cleaned the floors, had the livingroom furniture steam cleaned (I have two dogs), went through the pantry and got rid of any and all items that might have been expired or close to expiration (same with my spice rack), made some meals for the freezer, took both dogs to the vet to be sure they were clean and ready to cohabitate with me, etc., etc.  Some stuff I did just because I had been wanting to do it for the longest time and not just because I was freaking out about being clean and sanitized.  I don't freak out that much now.  I do replace my toothbrush regularly and keep it in it's own little container in the drawer, I replace my kitchen sponges very regularly, clean counters and kitchen appliances regularly, etc.  I'm more concerned about the other homes and places I go then my own home, but you should prepair nonetheless.

I agree with Richard.  Prepair your family.  Trash will need to be taken out by others for at least the first three months, no cleaning up after pets for the first 3 months (let someone else do that), etc.  Keep the kitchen sink clean and dish free whenever possible.  Watch foods in fridge and never leave stuff out.  Anything left out by accident I just throw away.  Sometimes we waste food that way, but we don't take that chance.  When we go to parties and such I always try to eat first when it's a buffet type party.  Stay away from kids for a while, too.  Yours are okay, but other kids.

Oh and the hardest part was no hugging/kissing friends and family for a while.  Especially since you'll be transplanting in the winter.    Is that enough stuff?  Truly I'm not a crazy person.  It sounds like a lot, but I did it over a six week period.

Congratulations!   OOOH!  And I went and splurged on some really good bed sheets!!  Mmmmmm!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:55:03 AM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
phyl1215

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:59:39 AM »

So happy for you.  Please let us know how everything goes for you and your husband and the others involved.  Good lluck.  :2thumbsup;

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »

I set up a caringbridge page so I could update friends and family before the surgery. My sister posted updates during and following the transplant as I had no internet access. It was great because it cut down on answering the same questions over and over. Here's Jenna's page if you want to take a look. http://caringbridge.org/visit/jennafranks It's FREE and people can sign your guest book.
Good luck to you both!  :cheer:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:12:18 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
carol1987

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 05:25:26 AM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and detailed answers!   Getting ready for Christmas and transplant at the same time has me quite loco....  :)
but it is all good!!!

I appreciate the good wishes and will sit the kids down and discuss  what we need....

A caringbridge site may be a good idea... not only for friends/family to keep informed but it may help my kids have a positive way to participate....

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »