I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:19:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fosrenol vs Renvela
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fosrenol vs Renvela  (Read 6655 times)
noahvale
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:52:35 AM by noahvale » Logged
greg10

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:53:40 AM »

I've been taking Fosrenol (500 mg-750 mg with meals depending on what/how much I'm eating) for 6 years and am now contemplating switching to Renvela (nephrologist wrote a script for 2 - 800 mg. tabs w/meals).

My phosphorus runs between 3.1-3.9, so that is not an issue with Fosrenol.  Plus, I tolerate it well except when taking too much for the amount of food I eat.  Horrible nauseousness. 

However, my concerns are over long term effects of lanthanum on the gut/liver and the high cost of the med (seems it goes up by 15% every year - Chinese dirt is quite expensive). I've done the required reading and now would like "real world" feedback from those of you who have used both. 

Thanks - Noahvale
Lanthanum Carbonate, "Chinese dirt" as you called it because of the supposedly 'rare earth' element content, is not expensive at all.  In fact you can buy 5 kilograms of 99.9% pure lanthanum carbonate for about $250, so it is about $50 per kilo or 5 cents per gram.  Shire Pharmaceutical, the maker of Fosrenol, charges about $7.50 per gram, so you do the math and see who is profiting.

You are right to be concerned about the long term effect of Fosrenol because not too many long term human studies have been done and you can search this and other forums for the lack of long term data.

The other binder you mentioned, Renvela, has side effects as well, so you may just have to do a trial.  If you search this forum, you may find some reports that some patients prefer the older drug Renagel to Renvela for the lesser side effects, mainly stomach problems.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=9497.0

You may also find that longer and slower dialysis could effectively remove the phosphorus and that someone on a more complete dialysis may not need binders at all with an average phosphorus limited diet.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:24:46 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
cookie2008

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »

Ive tried Renagel and it upset my stomach bad, then we tried Phoslo and it did the same thing, now I am on Renvela now and it seems to be alot better.  I have not tried Fosrenol.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:51:45 AM by noahvale » Logged
noahvale
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:51:24 AM by noahvale » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »