I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Info on medic alert bracelets
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info on medic alert bracelets  (Read 28578 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: December 07, 2010, 08:42:09 PM »

I'm seriously thinking of getting a medic alert bracelet.  I spend most of my time alone while my husband is at work, and it occurs to me that if I'm in some sort of situation where I can't tell emergency responders that I have a fistula and NOT to mess with my left arm, it might be worth the expense.  What should I have engraved on it?  "AV fistula...do not use this arm"?  Something like that?  That seems a bit stupid and wordy.  Any suggestions?

Do any of you have some sort of medical alert jewelry that you wear each day?  Do any of you subscribe to one of those medic-Alert services?

If I get a bracelet, I would wear it every day 'cause you never know when you'll be in an emergency, so I want something that looks nice.  I would like a simple gold bracelet; I was at an art fair this summer and came across this goldsmith from Wisconsin who handmakes his own medical bracelets.  His wife needed one, so he just made her one, and now he takes special orders.  They are 14K gold, and with the price of gold these days, the cheapest one is $625!   :o  I've done searches for all kinds of bracelets and there are plenty out there, but of course I like the really expensive ones. ::)

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should have engraved on the bracelet, that would be great.  I have registered with the state's database, the purpose of which is to provide info to docs once you get to the hospital, I guess, but I think it's important to let paramedics on the scene know you have a fistula before they pop a blood pressure cuff on you.  They may not notice my fab fistula.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »

related thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3207.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »

You have to find out which style of bracelet you are getting first - each one has a certain number of character spaces allowed per line, and the number of lines varies by style as well.

I'd vote for "Kidney Failure," not ESRD - if you pass out and a non-medical person finds you, ERSD isn't going to mean a thing.  Not sure on a short version of "Do not touch fistula arm!" though.  I never put that on mine - never thought to do it.

Mine never comes off.  I've got name, kidney/pancreas transplant, and my hospital's 800 phone number to the transplant clinic.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:40 PM »

But if you just have "kidney failure" on it, would a paramedic automatically know not to put a bp cuff or a needle in that arm?  Someone is always screaming at us to look after the fistula, etc, so that's my primary concern.  I don't know how well paramedics are trained regarding fistulas.

Okarol, I had already searched and read that thread,but there were no suggestions on what exactly to say on the bracelet.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:54:24 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »

I just looked, and mine says "kidney transplant, immunosuppression"  I guess it's a little out of date.. *L*

it does have a registration number, and the medic alert 800 number.. so as long as your info is up to date with medic alart, then you're ok.  I really  should be wearing my old one, as it's closer to accurate.. I think it does say "AV Fistula L arm" on it, but I don't remember for sure

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cloud393

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »

I would not  trust a paramedic or anyone to know you have a fistula by reading a tag that says kidney failure.  It amazes me how many medical personnell I have come across that just have no clue when it comes to dialysis patients.  I was having a CT scan once and one of the techs wanted to use my perma cath (in my chest) because they were having trouble getting an i.v. in for the contrast.  I said, "I  don't think so, you can't do that".  And many of them don't know they can't do a blood pressure on your fistula arm.  Maybe you could have your bracelet say something like - no IV or BP on L arm
                                                                                                                                                                           Dialysis Patient
Of course, use a R for right arm.  Maybe it would fit or maybe it would need to be on 3 lines. 
I have thought about getting one of those too but wasn't sure what to have put on it.  It seems we have so much info. that is pertinent to medical
emergencies but those info tags just aren't big enough.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »

I have a silver one I NEVER take off.

My name
RENAL FAILURE
HYPERTENSION
FISTULA LEFT ARM NO
BP CUFF/NEEDLE STICKS
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »

On mine, part of my bracelet says NO BP/VP ON LEFT ARM, then it list my other top problems. They can help you figure out what to put on the engraving, but best you have an idea what you want by prioritizing you medical problems first. Also have all your medication and dosage and times in front of you because they will ask for that if you order over the phone (Somewhat better than sending through the mail). Depending on what you get, bracelet or necklace, you will need to measure your wrist and add a 1/2 inch, but this is stated on their website also. Forgot, you can order through the website. Which reminds me, they will ask for emergency contact and doctors to be contacted.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:49 PM »

Oh ya...I carry a card in my wallet that has that same information plus all my meds and dosages as well as my neph's number and an ICE number.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »

That is one thing I can not do on my iPhone, create an ICE list. Medic Alert also gives you a card, but it is in very small print that comes in plastic or you can print one out if you update your meds online, but have to call nowdays to get it in hard plastic to where you could use to order it online.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Desert Dancer

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:52:07 AM »

Hi, MooseMom -

When I was shopping for medic alert bracelets I went over to the EMT forums and asked them: "What should I put on my bracelet?" They were all adamant that the presence of a fistula should be spelled out explicitly. One of them even said, "Buy two bracelets. The more info the better".  My takeaway is that not all EMTs will know what a 'fistula' is or will recognize one if they see it. So here's what I put on mine:

Hemodialyis Patient
Do Not Use Left Arm
For Any Reason!!!!
See Other Side

No BPs, No IVs, No Draws L Arm
No Potassium
Husband: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Doctor: xxx-xxx-xxxx

I tried wearing it on my left arm, but it kept riding up and cutting off my fistula so that's out.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »

In the UK we actually have 'medic alert' bracelets. Sorry i dont have a link. Do you not have them over there ? I think a paramedic would recognise that more than an engraved bracelet (and think its a little love token ! ) Funny ive never thought about wearing one before.. hmmmm.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 08:58:28 AM »

In the UK we actually have 'medic alert' bracelets. Sorry i dont have a link. Do you not have them over there ? I think a paramedic would recognise that more than an engraved bracelet (and think its a little love token ! ) Funny ive never thought about wearing one before.. hmmmm.

When you order one from a private jeweler, they have a medical symbol on them as well.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:10 AM »

I ordered a whole stack of cards...like business cards...that have my name, my neph's name and phone number, allergies and "No contrast dye" printed on them, but that was before I got my fistula.  I now need something with updated info and a warning about my arm, something easily seen in an emergency.

Desert Dancer,, I like the idea of going to the EMT forums for their suggestion.  I actually may just phone up our town's fire dept and ask them what wording would be clearest to them.  I hadn't thought about the "no potassium" part...what would they use potassium for?

What's an ICE number?

Riki, I take it you subscribe to some sort of medical alert service where emergency personnel just call the number on your bracelet and get all of the info they need because I can see how ALL of my info wouldn't fit in a small novel, much less a bracelet!

Desert Dancer

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »

Hi, MooseMom -

If you're interested, here's a link to the thread I started on the EMTLife.com forums asking about bracelets:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=20001

I'm not entirely sure WHAT they would use potassium for, but I know somebody on these forums had an incident where they showed up in the ER and - even though they told the doctors over and over not to use potassium - they did anyway and it precipitated a crisis. I'm really sorry I can't remember who that was; I read it here several months ago. Better safe than sorry.

ICE = In Case of Emergency  I have all my emergency contacts programmed into my phone like this: Andy (ICE - Husband). Some people list them this way: ICE (Andy - Husband) so all the emergency contacts are together under the 'I's and the EMTs know who to call.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:18:27 AM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »

Cool!  I just spoke to Gwen on ambulance 142, and she thought that having a bracelet referring to a fistula was a brilliant idea.  We came up with "AV Fistula L arm/Do Not Use", but she is going to consult her partner and various other paramedics and ask them if they can think of better instructions.

Desert Dancer, that's a briliant idea re putting ICE numbers in your phone.  I have my husband's number and my neph's number in my phone but not listed as "ICE".  I'll go do that now.  Thanks for that suggestion.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 10:10:06 AM »

I had a Medic Alert Bracelet as a kid - just the cheap metal kind (which is all a kid should have, of course). My parents put it on me and the moment I discovered how to take it off by myself - which was quite a feat of dexterity if I do say so myself - I did. Never lost it, but the info is hopelessly outdated. Mine just said "kidney transplant - takes Imuran and prednisone".

I went through a phase where I decided I was going to take my health seriously and had my mother order me another - I think it was gold or something. I wanted to wear it as an anklet, and everyone told me that paramedics would never think to look there, but I did not care. People seem to have little sense of boundaries out in the world - and people would see the bracelet and say something like "What's the bracelet for" and take the liberty of flipping it over to read for themselves. The bracelet was delivered but I think I ordered the wrong size and in the end I never wore it and naturally the "take kidney failure seriously" phase blew over quickly. It is probably buried in the cellar somewhere even still.

I've had 35 years without ever needing that bracelet, and at this point there is precious little that they could do that would damage anything so for me personally there is no point. However, fistulas are another matter entirely.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »

Gwen the Paramedic just phone and said that her partner suggested that a bracelet that said "Dialysis patient" would clue them in to looking for a fistula.  Well, I'm not on dialysis yet, so this doesn't seem to be a good idea.  I may be on dialysis in a month or maybe it will be a year, but whenever it is, TODAY I have a fistula that needs to be protected.

I found some nice sterling silver bracelets by Oneida that aren't really expensive.  I don't usually wear silver, but these look nice.  Worst case scenario is that I order one bracelet now but need an updated one later.

I think for now, I'll order one that says, "AV fistula L arm/Do not use."  That seems to addressed my current concerns.

I'd really like your opinions on this.  Thank you.  I know I may be being paranoid, but it comforts me to know that I am as prepared as possible.  This has been something that I've been thinking about doing for a while now, and it's time to do it.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

I just looked at my old Medic Alert brand bracelet and I had NO BP/VP LEFT ARM, AV FISTULA LT ARM, RENAL FAILURE, DIABETIC, and BLIND RT EYE.

Now with transplant it says KIDNEY & PANCREAS TRANSPLANT, IMMUNOSUPPRESSED, NO BP/VP LT ARM, and BLIND RT EYE.

Cariad, I to hated wearing the bracelt or the necklace. I tried to loose it, but was returned to my house a couple days later.  Since we lived in a small town, it was easy to find someone once an address was given that I am sure Medic Alert no longer does.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Mizar

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »

I was in Walgreens, the other Day, at the Pharmacy Counter. They now have lots of Keychains, one of them said, " Dialysis Patient " They were Inexpensive.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »

I found some nice sterling silver bracelets by Oneida that aren't really expensive.  I don't usually wear silver, but these look nice.  Worst case scenario is that I order one bracelet now but need an updated one later.

I think for now, I'll order one that says, "AV fistula L arm/Do not use."  That seems to addressed my current concerns.

I'd really like your opinions on this.  Thank you.
I think a silver (or gold) bracelet would be perceived as just another piece of jewelry and the message wouldn't even be read.

A red on white embroidered cloth bracelet would be best, I think. Modern sewing machines can embroider characters, so even if you don't have one if you ask around it's likely you'll find someone who will do it on their machine for free.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »

I don't know about cloth - I'd forget to put it back on after the shower, or worse, forget to take it off and it would end up pink instead of red and white.

Brightsky69

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »

When i was on dialysis my bracelet just said "on dialysis' I was on PD. And i added "see wallet card" I read online somewhere that emergency personnel should know to find your emergency alert card behind your driver license. So that is where I keep it.
Now that i have my 2nd transplant my bracelet says Kidney transplant 1991 & 2010 See wallet card. It's a little stainless steal bracelet with the typical medical alert symbol. And they are expensive no matter how you slice it. I think i paid around $65.00 for my new one.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 08:04:36 PM »

$65 for one? Wow is that one of the designer ones? I usually pay $15 for the usual stainless steel one and $35 for the flex band bracelet and put more information than what you put.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

I think a silver (or gold) bracelet would be perceived as just another piece of jewelry and the message wouldn't even be read.

You can get medical bracelets made of all kinds of stuff...silver, gold, rope, Swarovski crystal, Pandora-like beads, rubber...so I assume that the only thing that would ensure any bracelet would be read would be the red cross symbol or meniscus.

I am a middle aged woman and don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb, so I don't want anything funky or cutesy or overly clever.  I want something simple, elegant without dangly bits (ie, no charms).

I'm considering bracelet G...http://www.oneida-medical-jewelry.com/sterlingsilver.html#JR   I have several gold rope chain necklaces, so I thought keeping with the same motif, though not in gold, might be a nice choice.  If I'm going to wear the thing every day, I don't want to hate it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »