I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Info on medic alert bracelets
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Info on medic alert bracelets  (Read 28575 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »

I've decided to get a medic alert tattoo on the inside of my fistula arm instead, and hope to have it before Vegas.

is it a good idea to have a tattoo on your fistula arm?  I would think that would be a nono, you know, in case the tattoo got infected

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »

jbeany, no ICE on mine, you can't program it with ICE, just has a favorites section that I put Emergency contacts in. My other phonces had the ICE functionality, but apparently Apple didn't think it was a good idea even though they put accessability functions on it.

riki, one thought I have is will the EMS even look for that tattoo. Bracelets and necklesses are the norm and then there is what if something changes that you need to either add or remove information besides the risk.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Desert Dancer

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »

I've decided to get a medic alert tattoo on the inside of my fistula arm instead, and hope to have it before Vegas.

is it a good idea to have a tattoo on your fistula arm?  I would think that would be a nono, you know, in case the tattoo got infected

That's why you need to go to a reputable shop and ask good questions. This is from the home page of my shop:

In order to provide our clients an environment free of possible exposure to blood borne pathogens, Divinity Tattoo participates in OSHA inspections conducted by a certified occupational safety consultant. Additionally, all employees receive annual blood borne pathogen training, which includes, but is not limited to, information on sterilization of instruments, proper handling of disposable sharps, and disinfection procedures for all work and sterilization areas. Divinity Tattoo uses hospital grade Mid Mark M7 Speed Clave, which is monitored monthly by an independent biological monitoring service. All bio hazardous waste is picked up bi-weekly and disposed of by a certified bio hazard waste removal company. Divinity Tattoo adheres to the highest level of professional industry standards, and strictly follow universal precautions set by OSHA and the Red Cross.

Any shop worth their salt will let you see the autoclave and will provide current spore test results. They'll also open the autoclaved instruments in front of you. And I think Paolo (the artist who did Andy's sleeve) probably changed gloves more often than I do!

I'm a little more concerned about the initial swelling, but I think it will be far enough away from my fistula not to interfere. It's only 4" x 1".

Chris, if they can miss this tattoo then they'd have to have their eyes closed! I think it's general enough that it will never need to be changed:

DO NOT use this arm for any reason!
NO BPs - NO IVs - NO Draws
Dialysis Access In Use

One of my big concerns is that the bracelet I DO have can't be worn on my fistula arm because it rides up onto my fistula.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »

Instead of using "this", I would be more technical in using Lt, Lft, Left, or Rt, Right. In an emergency situation being technical is better due to the mindset that EMS is in when they have to call in information about patient anatomy. While we may know this means that...... or maybe I justhave to many trips in the ambulance along with technical writing class, anatomy classes, or a combination of all... :rofl;
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:16:32 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Desert Dancer

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »

Instead of using "this", I would be more technical in using Lt, Lft, Left, or Rt, Right. In an emergency situation being technical is better due to the mindset that EMS is in when they have to call in information about patient anatomy. While we may know this means that...... or maybe I justhave to many trips in the ambulance along with technical writing class, oanatomy classes, or a combination of all... :rofl;

That's a much better idea, Chris, thanks! Although I hope they don't take it to mean THEIR left, as happened to someone else here!

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
pagandialysis

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »

That's a much better idea, Chris, thanks! Although I hope they don't take it to mean THEIR left, as happened to someone else here!

Wait, there is a story here and for the sake of my amusement it must be told.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »

I thought there were was to be nothing done to that arm at all.  My dialysis nurses got mad when I told them that my cat bit me on the wrist of my fistula arm, and I have an upper arm fistula.  I don't think I would feel comfortable letting anyone do anything to my fistula arm, no matter what their hygiene standards are

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »