I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 07:29:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Questions regarding in-center hemodialysis - your input needed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions regarding in-center hemodialysis - your input needed  (Read 2350 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 05, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »

Your input here is appreciated. A school that trains hemodialysis technicians can benefit by learning from patients.

1.) Have you ever been worked on from a technician "trainee" and if so what was your experience?
2.) Were you aware of where or what training the trainee received?
3.) Do you think that schools owned by members of the clinic should have unrestricted practice on patients? Is this a potential conflict on the part of the school owner?
4.) If you had a say, what would the requirements be for a technician trainee to enter a actual dialysis facility?
5.) Do you think that machine and cannulation skills should be taught in a non-patient environment until mastered?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »

1.) Yes. My fistula was so well done, I was usually the "stick dummy" for new techs. I tell you, in my case, the trainees were sometime better stickers then techs or even nurses that have been doing treatments for years.
2.) Yes, most of the time our center was on the job training.
3.) This is a 50 - 50 toss up to me. After all, if the techs were that bad, I am positive word of mouth would bring the school and center down. On the other hand, there ARE people who are in it for money only, where we the patient becomes just a number and prescription.
4.) I would somehow check to what motivation students in training have - money or care.
5.) No - I would think in center training is the best situation                                                                     
Your input here is appreciated. A school that trains hemodialysis technicians can benefit by learning from patients.

1.) Have you ever been worked on from a technician "trainee" and if so what was your experience?
3.) Do you think that schools owned by members of the clinic should have unrestricted practice on patients? Is this a potential conflict on the part of the school owner?
4.) If you had a say, what would the requirements be for a technician trainee to enter a actual dialysis facility?
5.) Do you think that machine and cannulation skills should be taught in a non-patient environment until mastered?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:23:48 PM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
brandi1leigh

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »

1) Yes. Only once. The trainee was very good. She shadowed techs for a week, then worked only with machines for a week (under supervision), then began removing needles (under supervision), and finally began sticking patients (under supervision).
2) I was not aware of pre-floor training; however, on the floor the supervising tech was very vocal with the trainee.
3) I don't think they should have unrestricted access; however, I think some access is necessary for them to learn the ropes and see what it's really like.
4) Before interacting with patients I think they need a basic knowledge of what dialysis is, symptoms of ESRD, detailed knowledge of the machines, detailed knowledge of emergency procedures, etc They should not walk on the floor without some basic knowledge.
5) Some. I definitely think that trainees should practice off the floor before they are put in an actual situation with patients. However, I don't think it's possible for trainees to master this without some practice in the real environment on actual patients.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »

I do not like tech trainees being used to stick me.  They used to send the newly trained techs to me because if they could get through me, thent hey would probably be okay at the clinic.  I tended to scare new people.
God no, they tell patients nothing about training and such. Keep us in the dark.
I think schools should not have unrestricted practice on patients, supervised practice, not unrestricted.
Two years of college and a six to ten week training on dialysis. Then supervised practice in clinic. 
Yes, machine practice and patient cannulation should be mastered before seeing the patient.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »

Not applicable to me.  We don't have techs.  We only have qualified nurses (most with at least a bachelor's degree, some even more).  In our system, techs are the ones who fix machines, or deal with water or other technical problems, but never with the patients.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:35:00 AM »

Same here...qualified nurses only...techs fix the machines.
casper2636

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »

As an ex-nurse, I think the best way of learning is by watching and, with close supervision , slowly by doing. I have no problem having a "trainee" work on me because there is always a tech. or nurse close by. You ( as a trainee) have to learn some time and I've been stuck so many times and been infiltrated (no fun) so many times, it's really not a big deal to me anymore. We need more people in the Field to help us that are dependant on dialysis. I look at it as putting into the system to help us in the end.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:20:31 AM »

They used to send the newly trained techs to me because if they could get through me, thent hey would probably be okay at the clinic.  I tended to scare new people.

:rofl;

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »