I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 05:15:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Problem with techs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with techs  (Read 2450 times)
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« on: November 14, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

The techs at my clinic seem to be afraid of me. They are always sticking me wrong and that can't seem to differ from vertical from horizontal. When I complain they seem to think it is my fault. It is my body I know what and how they need to adminster the needles. Don't understand their holier than thou attitude.

LarryG

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »

I'm sorry Larry, sounds painful.
Have you considered self-cannulation?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »

Larry it is your body.....  you know best....  and you should take control.....  tackfully of course....  So many people go in stick their arms out and then complain....  I was in center and did exactly that the first month...  I didnt know anybetter.......  but I learn fast  ( for the most part LOL)  .... Dont let them do anything they want to you .... stick up for your self.....  maybe consider home Dialysis.....   and self cannulation.... even if you are in center.... lots of people do it....   and you can too......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »

Try demanding to speak directly to the head nurse of your dialysis center about this issue.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »

ask your doc for the unit to start button holes. makes cannulation so much easier....
xo
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
LarryG

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »

I have been trying to be more communicative with my techs. I think they need to be more professional in dealing with me and other patients. Most of the patience don't seem to speak up when there is a problem and need to be more assertive. I have spoken to the head nurse and at times I have been the designated patient leader in the group that has had to put together a petition at one point to complain about issues in the clinic. I think every clinic should have a patient representative because our social worker is pretty useless in that area. Non the less because I seem to be the only "educated" one in the clinic I had to get Wi-Fi and other TV stations implemented because after all these years that this clinic was running no one had brought a computer which surprises me. Anyway my approach with the techs and asking them why they are afraid and their answer is they are afraid to hurt me. Well if you are a professional is it not your duty to find a way to stick me without hurting me? I tell them shallow, not deep and you know there are times when what ever you do it just is going to hurt.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 02:29:57 PM by LarryG » Logged

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
GraphicBass

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »

I just started dialysis last month and treat the center team just like I would any other member of "my" medical team: friendly, but professional. After all, I am the one paying for their services (through my insurance premiums) and I choose to come to their center, thereby providing income. But like anyone, they appreciate being treated in a cordial, respectful manner.

My very first day, I introduced myself to the charge nurse and half the technicians, as well as the unit secretary. Over the next two sessions, i tracked down the medical director, the dietician, and the social worker. Each of them stops by to see me at least weekly, if not more often. I always have something to chat or ask them about, and make it clear that I am informed about my condition and the treatment they are offering.

This way, they know a face to go with a chart, and I know what each of them "do" at the center, just by engaging in conversations. I say "good morning" each session and chat while they're hooking me up, watching the process they go through.

So far, they've been extremely respectful and considerate when make a request (such as a chair with good light near a wall outlet, so I can use my laptop; or schedule changes). I have not yet run into someone who is careless or unresponsive, but if I did, center management would hear about it, and changes would be expected to be made.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to be appreciative in other ways. I brought some little gifts back from vacation for those who most closely work with me. A little bribery - er - appreciation goes a long way!

Personnel changes, of course, and I'll report back if I start to run into difficulties.

My $.02.

gary
LarryG

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »

I agree with everything you say. I feel some in centers think they are in control only and don't have anyone to answer to. They need to be reminded that it is your body and you know what is best for you. In business I had learned that the customer is always right. The mission of the center is make the patient comfortable within reason.

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »

At my unit, the nurses don't touch me until I'm ready, and I tell them where the best spots are to stick me, and I"m usually right.  When I was in NYC, I did the same with the techs there. They were quite friendly with me (though, I think they may have been told to be friendly with me, cuz I was paying cash. *L*) and I was able to tell them where to stick me as well, and they had no problems.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »