I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 11:19:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do you get comfortable?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you get comfortable?  (Read 18551 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 01:40:59 PM »

I'm not on dialysis yet, but always trying to prepare for my future. Do ya'll need to drag a u-haul truck into your units? Looking at the lists of items needed to stay comfortable and entertained for hours on end, how do you carry it all? Especially when you're talking about multiple pillows, bulky blankets, etc.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

i take a small pillow for my arm, a neck pillow and a blanket. everything (and then some) fits nicely into an extra large l l bean boat tote. one lady brings a dog bed foam pad to line her chair with. she let me try it out. very comfy. part of what helps is that when we started the nocturnal shift the center bought new chairs. they are softer, you can recline them or sit up on your own without a techs help, and they have heat.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
statesidela

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »

I have just been sucking it up....until now I will try out some pillows for sure...wonder if I could buy one of those vibrating comfy chairs n take it in with me...lol oO(wonders)
casper2636

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

Thegranmalady-gezze, sign me up for you center...mine is freezing cold. I keep my coat on and bring a blanket (king sized and doubled over) and a wool hat! Even with that I still freeze! Its hard when all your blood is being taken out in tubes in the "open" being cleaned then put back in with being cooled down by the process. Heated chairs...Who'd of thunk?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 11:31:04 PM »

ooohhhh.. I wish we had heated chairs.. but, I guess the chairs we got are ok.. at least they're not the lazyboy chairs that they have in the centre I go to in Manhattan.  I have to remember next time I go that I need to take my own pillow for my arm too.  They have nothing there.

oh, and we have heated blankets.. so I guess that makes up for the non heated chairs

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 02:12:51 AM »

I'm not on dialysis yet, but always trying to prepare for my future. Do ya'll need to drag a u-haul truck into your units? Looking at the lists of items needed to stay comfortable and entertained for hours on end, how do you carry it all? Especially when you're talking about multiple pillows, bulky blankets, etc.

Our unit has lockers there so we can store pillows, blankets etc - that really helps. That way I keep my stuff there and only take stuff out to wash (eg: blanket, pillow cases etc).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »

where are these in center units that have vibrating and heated dialysis chairs?  dialysis urban legend!!  :rofl;

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
greg10

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »

where are these in center units that have vibrating and heated dialysis chairs?  dialysis urban legend!!  :rofl;
Have you tried Dialyspa?  It is dialysis in a spa like atmosphere  ;)

http://dialyspa.localplacement.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=68&phpMyAdmin=u0me%2CImSy0wxz2SlH1HcNCyFzh6

Rich amenities
Welcoming, friendly staff
Professionally designed décor with warm colors and textures and a soothing waterwall
Ambient lighting with no bright, clinical lighting
18 heated dialysis chairs
Flat-panel televisions at each heated dialysis chair
Internet access via touch-screen monitors at each heated dialysis chair
Complimentary coffee and crushed ice bar
Industry-leading 3:1 patient to technician ratios (versus industry standard of 4:1) and 9:1 patient to nurse ratios (versus industry standard of 12:1) for the most attentive care available
Open Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. – 9 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday by appointment, for maximum flexibility

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20561.msg342887#msg342887
http://dialyspa.localplacement.net/the-dialyspa-difference

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

very cool.. but I'll bet it's expensive...

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 02:51:45 PM »

thanks greg10!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »

Ok I officially laughed my behind off on this one... not good, no more cushion for those chairs! LOL
Numb ass really is a terrible feeling, as is numb appendage... I dont move my arm at all duirng D, because infultrating happens to me entirely too easily. So by the end, when I get them needles pulled and I move my arm for the first time in over 4 hrs and its (forgive me for saying but so true) orgasmic!

riki "Getting up at the end of the run always feels good, with the full body stretch, and pulling my underwear out of my butt crack.  I"m told that I'm not the only one who does that." I too have this problem... a good cure, skip wearing them LOL actually, man undies are better than womans... Idk why, but they dont tend to ride as badly. I usually go comando when i can though, that way i dont have to dig them out lol

Ok Ok, for real... Here is what I think would WORK but they cost... Mattress Pads, those "Temperpedic" (or the generic form anyway) for a twin bed, should fit nicely. I have seen a few folks who made something similar, I keep meaning to ask what they used...Those temperpedic things are flippin awesome, i have the generic version of the pillow, ahhhh its nice. I often want to buy one just for my poor tushy. 

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

I wear pj pants, which are fairly loose fitting.. I would think that after 4 hours or so, they'd be creeping up there too..

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
hexoffender

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »

I never had my ass go numb, but my fistula arm goes numb all the time. I think it hasto do with the pump speed being high, like 550 or so.(Is that High, I really am not sure). I always thought the chairs were pretty comfortable, but we just got these new chairs that have massage and heat and a little control panel on the right side.
kamar55

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »

Aha...I suffer from NA every session. For relief, I lay flat and put my feet flat on the foot rest. Then I lift my butt a few inches up and squeeze my butt muscles. I will also just slowly flip myself to my left side so my butt is not pressed into the chair. Ah, relief!!   :yahoo;

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
murf

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »

When I eventually go back to HD, I think I will take along my snuggie. You know the one, the blanket that has sleeves.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:50 AM »

I wear pj pants, which are fairly loose fitting.. I would think that after 4 hours or so, they'd be creeping up there too..

I wear Kami-knickers. :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Ken
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »

We have heat/vibrating chairs but for some reason I always get a non-working chair. I can't even get the tech open the left side to see if its disconnected on the bottom. sigh :( I guess I'll have to wait until a tech who I know will do it has me.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »

I used a foam mattress on the chair for nocturnal when I was on a chair in the center.
For the cold I bring the ski hand warmers and put it on my chest under a doubled blanket.
I have not figured out the wedgie problem, commando style sounds interesting.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:28 AM »

The worst part about the wedgie problem for me is the disdainful and icy looks I get from the fellow sufferers near me. I always say very loudly when I adjust myself 'JUST ADJUSTING MY WEDGIE' but I am concerned that my explanation is falling on deaf ears. I can distinctly hear muttered comments like "Disgusting", "Filthy habit" even "Dirty old fart'. I know 15 minutes is a long time to manipulate a wedgie so perhaps my technique is at fault
Have you FWS (fellow wedgie sufferers) any advice to proffer?
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 04:04:07 AM »

steps on how to undo a wedgie:
1. look around to see if anyone is awake and looking your way (do not anounce the action before you do it Bruno  :Kit n Stik;)
2. secretly and very descretely turn onto your left side (you can turn onto the right side if you prefer)
3. again view if anyone is noticing
4. rub/ scratch your back
5. when the time is right just dive in there and dislodge it quickly

This is a fool proof method (it won't work for everyone only for fools) :rofl; (like me) :rofl; :2thumbsup;

To prevent a wedgie : just don't move - at all.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »

I sometimes feel like i need a shovel to dislodge the wad of fabric entering my throat via my colon.

The wiggle ur booty method is always a fun one, and then of course the oh streeeeeeeeeetchhhhh lift leg pull on pant legs method lol

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
casper2636

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »

Well, I guess when it comes down to it, the wedgie problem is all to common to be embarrassed by it. You all have made me feel non too ashamed to pick at my ass in public, because I know that everyone rides down in their chair at one point in treatment or another. Your support has been priceless! And I've learned what it feels like to wear a thong (I don't know why anyone would do that voluntarily!). Thank you! :clap;
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 04:56:32 AM »

The worst part about the wedgie problem for me is the disdainful and icy looks I get from the fellow sufferers near me. I always say very loudly when I adjust myself 'JUST ADJUSTING MY WEDGIE' but I am concerned that my explanation is falling on deaf ears. I can distinctly hear muttered comments like "Disgusting", "Filthy habit" even "Dirty old fart'. I know 15 minutes is a long time to manipulate a wedgie so perhaps my technique is at fault
Have you FWS (fellow wedgie sufferers) any advice to proffer?

What is a wedgie? are we talking about an erection here or just a little bit of genital husbandry. I usually look round to make sure no-one is looking and then do some little adjustments or better still just have a good SCRATCH!! :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

If anyone complained I'd just reply '' Betty Swallocks (anag.)  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Ken
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »

The "technical" definition of a wedgie follows.  In this discussion though, wedgie refers to one's undies getting wedged in one's backside from the action of sliding slowly down the chair.  Well,  I guess.   NB, I didn't start this discussion, but I can see that the problem of the naturally occurring chair wedgie would be pretty dire if it were happening to you.

Wedgie (from Urban Dictionary.    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Wedgie&defid=1439289 )

A wedgie is a schoolyard prank in which one person grabs the back of the waistband of another person's underwear, while he or she is still wearing them, and pulls them up. This wedges their underwear between their butt cheeks. A wedgie can be painful, depending upon how hard it is performed or how high the underwear is pulled up. In the schoolyard, wedgies are most often performed on uncool male children who wear briefs or tighty whities by cool male children who wear boxers. However, wedgies can also be performed on males who wear boxers and on women, too. A wedgie can also be called a gotch pull. A wedgie can also refer to underwear riding up on its own.

There are many different types of wedgies. A wedgie from the front is called a melvin. A wedgie from both sides, often performed by two people, is called a mervin. A wedgie in which the victim's underwear is hung on a doorknob or something high up is called a hanging wedgie. A wedgie in which the underwear rips or tears; or in some cases, rips completely off is called a turbo wedgie or a ripper wedgie. A wedgie in which the pants of the victim are ripped completely off is called a cosmic wedgie. A wedgie in which the female victim is wearing a thong is called a thwedgie. A wedgie on a female from the front is called a vedgie. A wedgie in which the person performing the wedgie jumps up and down in order to wedge the underwear further is called a sky high wedgie. A wedgie in which the victim is given a wedgie and lifted off the ground and then spun around is called the flying dutchman. A wedgie in which after the wedgie is first performed, some kind of a pole is inserted between the legholes and twisted around to give the victim more of a wedgie is called a propeller wedgie. A wedgie in which the victim's underwear is lifted up over their head and rests on their forehead is called an atomic wedgie. A wedgie in which the victim is lifted up the ground by their underwear and the underwear is pulled above their head but does not rest on their forehead is called a nuclear wedgie.

Yesterday after school, my friend Chris gave me a hanging wedgie and left me for two hours.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »

:rofl; :clap; i love urban dictionary!  :rofl;

I gave my son a wedgie last night, on accident(I swear!!! it was an accident!!).... it was commical!

HemoDialysis since 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »