I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  What is your total UF for cyler users
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your total UF for cyler users  (Read 7834 times)
Bette

« on: December 21, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »

Hi,

I've been on the cycler for about a week now and my total uf is running 800ml.  I am not sure if that is good or bad.  I haven't put on a lot of fluid and I'm using all 2.5% solution bags.  Is this normal? ???
Ginger

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:36:24 AM »

I've been on the cycler for over 2 years and my UF ranges 350-800cc using only 1.5% solution. I still put out about 2L of urine though. There are a lot of variables--how much urine put out and how much you drink and how much salt in the food you eat.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »

What the ??, lol,  ok, i think i am doing something wrong, lol,  my UF is always over 2,000 at the end of therapy and when i do my last manual drain it is usually 3500-3700 (i do 3000ml dwells) .   i always use 2 greens and 1 red, maybe thats why??  I do drink a little more than the average hemo patient, maybe that is why?  :-\  But my dry weight is still the same as when i first started, actually, i lost 2 more kilo's this last time i went in.   :2thumbsup;  just please dont ask me how cuz i'll be damned if i knew ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bette

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »

I think you're ok.  I only do 1500 dwells and have only been using 2 green bags.  I was getting so much fluid off when I was doing CAPD, that to me the UF rate seems really low.  I'm going to call the nurse after Christmas.  She said if I start to gain weight use a red bag.  I'm going to try that tonight.
anja

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »

:clap; Congrats, Bette, that's great!  Mine usually runs 400 to 800 UF on a 1.5 and 2.5 a night.  If I use 2 -2.5's I have 1000-1450 UF.  I have never used a red for I was told that strength can scar your peritoneum.   So try to use the lowest solution possible for the best outcome.  I also urinate still, so that makes a difference too.
  Goofynina, you are using dwells of more cc's , aren't you?  I only use 2000cc's per 1'45" dwells, with a daytime dwell of 1500. Plus I use one each of 1.5 & 2.5.  I wonder how they figure all these different "prescriptions" ~ is it a shot in the dark to begin with, then adjust it according to our labs???   ::)
melshell

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

Great question!! I've been curious as well!! I'm still not clear on which factors determine which bags you're supposed to use....I'm 2-3 weeks in, I generally use 2 greens and pull anywhere from 1500-2000. I still urinate too, and have only done a manual drain once when I pulled less than 1000 and got an additional 300...tonight I used a yellow and a green because my blood pressure was lower than normal. My blood pressure has been fluctuating a lot since I started PD though, and I've been instructed to hold the med if my systolic is below 130.  I've only taken the med twice. My diastolic is creeping up though: 90's-100, and my weight is still way above my pre-dialysis weight...??? My blood sugar has gone haywire as well. I know it's a sugar solution, and I'm insulin dependent secondary to nephrotic syndrome, but I'm beginning to worry that maybe I won't be able to tolerate PD as a result??? I've asked what the norms are with no definitive answers, so I'm glad to read everyone else's results.

FSGS since 1991
ESRD 9/06
PD since 12/06

"...atleast I didn't wake up dead this morning..."

sqzagapeach@yahoo.com
myspace.com/mel8675309
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »

Everyone's prescription is different because each person is different. So many things contribute to our prescriptions such as if we still urinate, how our labs are, how tall we are, how much we weigh, our creatnine... and so on.

Each night your supposed to determine which strength bags to use by how much you weigh. If you don't need to take a lot of fluids off, then your going to use the green bags and white bags. However, if you have a little extra fluid to take off, you might use all green bags, and if you have a lot of fluid to take off you might use green and red bags. You determine which bags you will use by how much you drinks, how much salt you eat... your weight at the end of the day and your blood pressure.

I use 3 green bags each night, except when I have a lot of fluids I use 2 greens and 1 red. I have never had a problem using the red, and I will continue to use them when needed.

I do 6 fills of 2400cc's, and I dwell 45 mins (I am a high transporter), and I usually UF between 800-1000, just depends on which bags I use, and how much fluid I needed to pull off that day.

Sounds like your doing good to me, pulling off a good amount. If you urinate any, your going to pull less fluid off since you will have less fluid built up. Also depending on how much you drink that day and so on...

When I wake up in the morning, I do an extra drain, I just start my machine up by pressing start and when it says Drain I let it drain, and it usually pulls off another 200-500cc's... so just a thought, you might consider doing an extra drain when you wake up in the morning to make sure the machine got all the fluid off. (HOwever this dont work if u do a last fill... lol)  The reason why sometimes you may not pull off fluid or a lot of fluid doing CCPD is because while ur sleeping, you may have kinked the line a little, or the way your laying may not have been able to drain all of it... and so on.. so sometimes you wont get all the fluid out and you need to another drain at the end.  Just a thought, it helps me.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:12:41 AM »

Bette
If you're using a Baxter Cycler you can do a manual drain at the end of therapy. Just scroll through till you see 'Manual Drain' then press the blue arrow key. You'll probably get even more off if you stand up during the drain. It's the only way that I can get any + UF. After normal therapy I get negative UF usually about
minus 80. After a stand up drain it then amounts to about 200 to 250. It's not much but maybe it's the fact that I do a normal  urine output. I use the lowest strength yellow bags but that may change because I've just had my first adequacy test and I'll know the results Monday.

Ken
shay_pcb

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »

I use one 1.5% bag every night, 2000ml dwells. I usually get off 300ml or less, sometimes a negative number. I guess that means I don't drink enough during the day or I pee more than most?? I do pee more than I think a dialysis patient should... ??? Oh, well, I guess that's a good thing!! lol
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »