I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 07:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I am tired
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am tired  (Read 12707 times)
needlephobic

« on: November 06, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »

I am so tired of dialysis. I am tired of the cramps tired of feeling like I am going to  :puke; Everytime i go in that one tech that hooks me up takes to much fluid off of me and my BP drops I cramp and feel like crap. If the other tech is working she comes over and adjust my machine so it won't take the fluids off. I still pee alot so there is no reason to take the fluids off. She just gets in a big hurry to get me in and out that it puts them behind cause I cramp  and BP falls and i feel like I am going to  :puke; grrrrrrrrrrrr I want to feel like i did before all this happened
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

im so sorry..  This is not how your suppose to feel.  I know there's an adjustment period, but i still think (and it seems obvious in your case) that there IS a difference in "who" is setting you up.  They need to take everything your going through and work better with it.  Hubby only had a few adjustments, and only rarly now cramps, but danged if that what just the worst ever for both of us ALL night long.  I deeply hope that this will change for you real soon ...as in nOW! 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »

So, you're made to feel like crap because a tech can't be bothered to do her job properly???  What's wrong with this picture??

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

Complain to your neph and anyone else who will listen.  You should not have to put up with a tech who really isn't doing their job.  They work for you, not the other way around!

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
needlephobic

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »

I hate going to dialysis if that tech is there it seems like everytime she sets up the machine she takes to much fluids off. I tell her not to and she tells me I am over my dry weight and has to take it off. The tech I like comes over from her section and looks and see that there taken to much off and stops it she know me well and hates to see me cramp up and get sick when BP falls. There has been many times I have spent a extra hour setting there as they try to get BP up or getting moved around so they can get other people in. One time i spent a extra hour and 30 mins waiting for BP to rise and no tech no nurse anywhere near me just alone setting there feeling like crap. its like am i worth it to be going through this :puke; or are they just in a hurry to get off on time.  sorry for all the ranting I am just tired of being tired and sick> Neph doesn't listen to me seams like nobody but one nurse and 2 techs no not to pull of fluidss 
Pam

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

I do not know what kind of clinic you go to. I go to a Fresenius and they have to tell us how much fluid is going to be removed and it is our right to disagree with them. You also have the right to request a conference to discuss your treatment. You also have the right to refuse treatment from a tech that is not competent.  Don't worry about stepping on their toes, just wear your biggest boots :rofl;

don'
needlephobic

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »

I do not know what kind of clinic you go to. I go to a Fresenius and they have to tell us how much fluid is going to be removed and it is our right to disagree with them. You also have the right to request a conference to discuss your treatment. You also have the right to refuse treatment from a tech that is not competent.  Don't worry about stepping on their toes, just wear your biggest boots :rofl;

The clinic i go to use to be a fresenius but now privately owned by the I guess you would call him the
head neph and his partner my neph they are into for the money. My neph always has a fake look on his face like he cares but don't I asked him for something for my restless leg prob he didn't say a word his partner walks in like a super star he makes a grand entrance waving and saying as loud as he can hello everybody as he waves his hand I am like please. These people don't listen so it gets frustrating only the one nurse and the 2 techs i like that deal with me listen

EDITED: Fixed quote tag error- kitkatz-Moderator

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:53:01 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Mercurial

Building a Zen deathray.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »

Talk to the charge nurse, your nephrologist, and the manager of the unit. Get in there and make some noise--no reason to be passive since these people are getting paid for your care.

Stay away from salt.

"Tick tock tick tock tick tick."  -   six word story by Neal Stephenson
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 02:47:24 AM »

needlephobic, I really feel for you, start to kick arse, get your treatment sorted out. Talk to Kickstart she will give you some tips. Probley get you kicked out the unit. Only joking KS
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:19:25 AM »

Someone mention my name ?   All i can tell you is LEARN all about your machine , then take control ! I am now left to do my own settings, i take off what i want. If part way through i feel  :puke; i stop the machine from pulling fluid off for a while. Basically i alter the machine all the way through my treatment to suit me ! and its been the best option yet , that and coming off HDF to go on HD. Im sorry but just because you still 'go' doesnt mean you dont need fluid pulling off ! I still 'go' after 7 years but that doesnt mean i dont pull fluid off. One thing i can suggest , although its not the best solution tbh is to take a drink in with you , then if your bp drops and you have the horrible nurse on , have a drink ..not much say 100-200mls and that will bring your bp up a bit quicker  :2thumbsup; But the best answer is to learn about your machine and its settings .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Brightsky69

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 05:42:43 AM »

My guess is techs don't make a lot of money so they don't really care about what they are doing.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Pam

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 06:01:33 AM »

Do you have PAs? We have 2 and see them every week. Both of them are great. They can write scripts and make decisions regarding your care.
Those techs should have a better attitude. In this economy they are darn lucky they have a steady job.
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

I feel so bad you. Do you not have any choice where you have dialysis? Do you use a bed or a chair? I used to cramp a lot when I started dialysis but the nurses and techs worked hard to eliminate that. Sitting in a chair helped me as well as we have the choice. I also have leanred to control my machine for the times when the place is very busy.
It is important to take the liquids off but a lot can be done to mitigate the problems you are having. Maybe your personal doctor can help you get their attention.
This situation does not need to exist. I live in the UK where we are in a hospital with nurses and techs and doctor available. In the states in Florida on holiday, I had a small bit of the same problem you are having. However, I was able to talk to the powers and get the situation corrected.
Fight them!
Good luck

WMoriarty
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »

maybe you should have the dr lower your dry weight, after all it's really for the most part a wild ass guess. and next time the tech says no, you're over your dry weight and we have to take it off...speak up loudly, and tell he that's not her call, it's yours and she's only to take this much. and keep making noise until she does it your way. if i visit a new clinic i tell them what to take. at my clinic they ask.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:06 PM »

I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble.

Can you cut your sodium intake down any further?  Keeping my daily sodium intake under 1,000 mg has made a big difference in both my blood pressure and my fluid retention.
needlephobic

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »

The thing is If they take fluids from me my BP will fall and i feel like crap if they don't take fluids then I am ok no BP drop and i feel find it makes me wonder how much kidney function i have or is that have anything to do with it? They have ajusted my dry weight many times do to gaining weight somehow or there scales are wrong. So I really don't understand whats going on with me. Been at this alone since starting this crazy journey and found this site and found a lot of answers here  I am just tired of feeling like crap on the days i have dialysis when they take too much off
VintageVera

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 03:56:39 PM »

NEEDLEPHOBIC: Is it possible for you to switch to peritoneal dialysis? I was fortunate to have my nephrologist's support to do this and it's done at home so YOU're in charge. I wasn't needle phobic before my ESRD but, like most of us here, have had too many bad experiences with needles and blood drawing since then. This is another reason why I am doing well on the PD -- somewhat less invasive. Hope to hear that you're doing better. VERA
needlephobic

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »

NEEDLEPHOBIC: Is it possible for you to switch to peritoneal dialysis? I was fortunate to have my nephrologist's support to do this and it's done at home so YOU're in charge. I wasn't needle phobic before my ESRD but, like most of us here, have had too many bad experiences with needles and blood drawing since then. This is another reason why I am doing well on the PD -- somewhat less invasive. Hope to hear that you're doing better. VERA

I have thought about doing PD for sometime now just don't have the room for all the supplies my self caths take up to much room. the self caths are for peeing since my bladder can't empty it all so don't know I am scared to death of needles the tech who takes to much fluids off of me is known to screw up fistulas seen her mess one up by stupidity she ask the lady if she wanted a pillow she said yes so she lifted the arm with the needles in it and blew the fistula she was to lazy to go look for one. I bring my own pillow with me. 
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »

maybe you should have the dr lower your dry weight, after all it's really for the most part a wild ass guess. and next time the tech says no, you're over your dry weight and we have to take it off...speak up loudly, and tell he that's not her call, it's yours and she's only to take this much. and keep making noise until she does it your way. if i visit a new clinic i tell them what to take. at my clinic they ask.

ummm surely lowering the dry weight is the exact worst thing to do?! np is already cramping and feeling ill which suggests too much fluid is being taken off - lowering the dry weight would make them want to take MORE fluid off, and he already still has reasonable output. I'd say raise the dry weight OR just put in a order to take the usual 500ml rinseback amount out and no more and see how it goes.

If they insist on taking fluid, I'd request a BVM/crit line (whatever you want to call it) to profile how well you're refilling and get a much more accurate idea of how "wet" or "dry" you are. That will also give a good indication of where your dry weight really should be set.

Just my two cents.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »

Helloooooooooo.  You're the patient.  If a tech takes off too much fluid, then complain.  You don't have to put up with that.  That's why I went with PD, so I can be the one in control.
Hazmat35

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »

I am sitting at work, putting on my numbing cream, and taking my anxiety pills, before I leave for Dialysis. 

I'm am sitting here, beating my self in the head  :Kit n Stik; and making myself sick  :puke; just thinking about going.

I thought about it over the weekend and just decided to give up and go without Dialysis anymore and take my chances!!!!!!! Work is starting to become a major problem, and I can not afford to wait 5 months for disability to kick in.  Hell, even then I can't afford LIFE.   :banghead; :sos;

But at the last minute, I said SCREW IT!  Now, I'm getting ready to go!  I HATE DIALYSIS!!!!  And everything that goes along with it!!!!!

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »

You are in a place that we all go to from time to time. Do not give up on Dialysis it is keeping you a live, yes we all hate dialysis.
The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »

Look, you said at the very start that you still pee allot.  There are TWO reasons for Dialysis, 1) to remove the poisons from your blood and 2) remove any EXCESS fluids.  There is a major problem brewing if they continue to remove to much fluids.  Your DRY weight should not be a wild ass guess, and it is a bit of a moving target.  The nurses I work with would have a real problem with your treatment.  You have got to take control of this.  You need Dialysis to live, you do not need Dialysis to kill you off an inch at a time.

know what you weighted out at the end of the last treatment, keep exact track of what fluids you take in after each treatment, track how much you pee. you will know about how much needs to be removed for your next treatment.  Pain in the ass, you bet....better than feeling like crap during and after each treatment, for sure.

Your Body, Your Treatment...You take control

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
kamar55

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »

But at the last minute, I said SCREW IT!  Now, I'm getting ready to go!  I HATE DIALYSIS!!!!  And everything that goes along with it!!!!!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more....I hate dialysis and all the problems that go along with it. The only thing worse than dialysis is NO dialysis. When I missed 2 sessions this past winter due to blizzards, I felt SO much worse. I didn't gain that much fluid, but all the toxin build up made me so sick. So that's what keeps me going...knowing how much worse I'll feel if I don't......

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 02:29:45 AM »

Needlephobic, Richard is right, if you are cramping your dry weight needs adjusting UP until the cramping stops...and if you have some residual urinary function that keeps kicking in your dry weight can be extremely variable. The trick is to see how much you have to lose at weigh in and how long yor session time is...then you will know how much you are going to lose per hour and that also can have a big bearing on things...ie your goal to take off 4 litres might be correct, but if the session is 4 hours your body will just not tolerate 1 litre per hour coming off. Personally, if I get over 500 ml per hour I start to have problems.
So remember...dry weight is variable so your session goal should vary, and too much off per hour even though the goal is correct is not good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »