I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:21:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  struggling with sensipar
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: struggling with sensipar  (Read 6104 times)
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« on: November 03, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »

My doctor has started me on sensipar. I have been on dialysis for 3 years now and my pth has always been high. I just started sensipar but I am having a hard time getting use to it. Feeling some of the side effects. I wanted to know if anybody had any issues when they started using sensipar? thanks in advance
greg10

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »

I am sorry to hear about your problem with sensipar.  What is your dosage?  I know most people seem to be okay with 30mg to 60mg daily.

There are indications that slower and longer dialysis may help, in fact most in center dialysis patients could do with slower and longer regiments of dialysis, but the reality of in center is that they want a quick turn-over and optimize their labor cost per patient.  Look into in center nocturnal or even home dialysis for the long term solution if possible.  Your nephrologist would likely tell you that your pth level has nothing to do with adequacy of dialysis, but it is more complicated than that.  Most neph do not fully understand the complicated cycle of pth-ca-phosphorus-vitD regulation and the effect of dialysis and they will refer you to an endocrinologist instead.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3366.20

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Restorer

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »

Thanks for reminding me to take my Sensipar!  :clap;

I have to take it (30 mg) with a big meal or it upsets my stomach and makes me feel almost like I have a cold for hours afterward.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »

thanks to ev1 that has given me input @restorer you just pointed out something when you mentioned you felt like you had a cold, it is some of the same symptoms I have been having, maybe I should try what you do and eat with a heavy meal :thumbup;
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »

I'm allergic to Sensipar.

That's a great shame because it could have kept me from an eventual parathyroidectomy.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »

I've been taking 30mg in varying doses (eg: 4x/week up to daily now) for about 2 years with no side effects and it keeps my PTH at a reasonable level. Once my PTH got too low and we had to cut back!  :rofl; Sorry to hear some of you are feeling the side effects - for me it's been a bit of a miracle drug!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »

I've  been taking  sensipar  for  a few yrs now,   I  works  beautifully.               
Although  when I  first  started  taking it  my  B/P  was  always  really  low, I  read  that  sensipar  can  lower  B/P.   I  was  getting  ready  to  tell my  Dr  I  didn't  want  to  take it.  But,  I  gave  it  time.
At  first  I would  have to  take it  with  a  heavy  meal,  or  I  would  have nausea  for  a few  hours.
Lately  I've  started  taking  it  at  bedtime  and  I have  no  nausea  at  all.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

To everyone, thank you for sharing your experiences and advice. I just started taking at night with a heavy meal. so I'll see how it goes. The dietitian told me to give it a few weeks and I was like "for real!!" cause I really don't want take it at least not in the daytime :puke;
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:40:54 AM »

Hubby has been on sensipar for about 3 months now with no side effects.  He started with 30 mg and it has increased to 60 mg. He takes it with his breakfast - was told to take it with meal.  His PTH has gone from 1300 down to 800 and waiting for the results from this months test!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »

Hello everyone, I had to stop taking sensipar, they got the results and said nothing is happening. I had told them the side effects do more damage than help. I had really become unusually weak which is one of the side effects. I usually try to go out on the days off but it made me so lazy that I would lay in bed all day. I was taking 30 mg and they said if it doing that much damage that it would be best to stop taking it. I've been taking it for 3 months. I stop about 2-3 weeks ago and started getting my energy back. It really set me back alot. So for the new year my resolution is to play turbo and catch up on alot of things I missed.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »

Ive recently been put on Cinacalet , our doctors dont rate Sensipar at all ! My side effects for the first few weeks were  :puke; then my legs turned to jelly and a total  lack of energy. Now in this last week its all starting to change and i can tell , i feel a lot brighter for one and my joints seem to be a lot better. My knees kept giving way when going up and down stairs and now they are fine. My bloods are being monitored and ive been told that they have never seen such rapid changes !!! Do you not have Cinacalet over there? Its worth going through the side effects for a few weeks (about 4-5) to get the end results ! After all you dont want your bone structure to change so much that nothing can be done.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
greg10

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:49 AM »

Ive recently been put on Cinacalet , our doctors dont rate Sensipar at all ! .. Do you not have Cinacalet over there? Its worth going through the side effects for a few weeks (about 4-5) to get the end results ! After all you dont want your bone structure to change so much that nothing can be done.
Cinacalcet is the generic name for Sensipar, although as far as I know, it is still under patent and there are no authorized generic manufacturer, perhaps why it costs upwards of $15 to $30 per pill (30mg to 90mg).  I believe your spelling of Cinacalet is that of the generic name, dropping the third 'c'.  It is sold by Amgen under the trade name Sensipar in North America and Australia and as Mimpara in Europe

Cinacalcet is perhaps the only commercial drug capable of reducing serum calcium levels independent of Vitamin D effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinacalcet

Code: [Select]
Summary

Cinacalcet is an oral calcimimetic indicated for the treatment of
secondary hyperparathyroidism (HPT) in patients on dialysis with end-
stage renal disease (ESRD), and in patients with parathyroid carcinoma
to reduce hypercalcaemia.
Three key phase III studies have investigated the use of cinacalcet in
patients with ESRD on dialysis. A pooled analysis of two of these studies
involving 741 patients reported that 43% of patients on cinacalcet
achieved the primary endpoint of a mean parathyroid hormone (PTH)
level <250pg/ml compared to 5% of those on placebo (p<0.001). The
effects of cinacalcet were consistent across a range of subgroups and
independent of vitamin D dosage.
Several unpublished studies have investigated the use of cinacalcet for
parathyroid carcinoma. The largest of these, which included 78 patients
with primary HPT, reported cinacalcet to be more effective than placebo
in reducing serum calcium levels to within the normal range, with
concurrent significant reductions in PTH levels.
The most common adverse effects associated with cinacalcet are nausea
and vomiting; these are usually transient and of mild to moderate
severity but lead to discontinuation of therapy in some patients.
The use of cinacalcet represents a potentially important therapeutic
development in the treatment of these two groups of patients. However,
efficacy has generally been assessed on surrogate markers of disease. A
retrospective analysis showed significant reductions in parathyroidectomy
and fractures in patients treated with cinacalcet compared to placebo,
but these results need to be confirmed in larger, prospective studies.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »

My bad ..my spelling ! missed a c ! According to our dietician Cinacalcet and Sensipar are 2 different things (same objective) As she said to me they didnt rate Sensipar and it didnt seem to be very effective as compared to Cinacalcet . So that to my understanding points to it being 2 different things ! Is Cinacalcet a newer upgraded version then ? Its certainly having great and fast results for me !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »

Umm... the dietician? What the hell would they know? It's definitely the same thing. If you like I can scan in my sensipar package that shows the active ingredient......

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »

Amgen manufactures cinacalcet and markets it as Sensipar in America and Australia.

NICE didn't rate Sensipar presumably because it's not available in the UK under that name.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:31:02 PM by Stoday » Logged

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »

Isnt that strange ? RM ..our dieticians obviously have a lot more power than yours , as they can get you put on it !

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »