I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  dialysis tonight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dialysis tonight  (Read 3180 times)
billmoria

Living life to my max

« on: November 03, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »

Iam on the twilight shift at Queen hospital in Romford (east london) in the UK. Our target start time is 5:30 pm. Today there is a tube (underground or subway) strike in London so traffic was much worse than normal. Start today is 6pm so will be off machine in 4 short hours - lol. Since I switched to the button hole technique I know bleed 4 minutes in each hole - excellent!
I have just finished my tea and sandwich and I have just taken a picture. I use a acer netbook at dialysis. I am on a FRESENIUS 5008 machine. Is my normal machine although we have a variety of machines and I sometimes  use other machines. My pump speed today is 380 And if my venus pressure stays low I will raise it to 400. If pressure goes high I will lower it.  At the moment it is at 205.

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISTULA!

WMoriarty
calypso

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »

Happy times!

Wait... dialysis...happy times? I'm a little confused...Must be the toxins...

So what do you do on that Acer netbook of yours? I have a droid x cellphone that I bring to dialysis to watch all the old Star Trek: TNG episodes I missed years ago when I thought school and work was more important than tv.....(what was I thinking? ;-) )

I don't have a laptop but I suppose if I did I might try my hand at terragen 2 or perhaps go back to blender3d and render out a few scenes.

here's one I did a while ago:

It's a statue of Lucy the angel of light that was scanned at Stanford University and freely available for download as a 3D model. I put it in a scene added an HDRI background put some lights in the scene and a simple plane (as the table) and a reflective sphere just to see the HDRI background and rendered it. Just a little hobby of mine, 3D rendering.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
greg10

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »

Iam on the twilight shift at Queen hospital in Romford (east london) in the UK. ... I am on a FRESENIUS 5008 machine. Is my normal machine although we have a variety of machines and I sometimes  use other machines. My pump speed today is 380 And if my venus pressure stays low I will raise it to 400. If pressure goes high I will lower it.  At the moment it is at 205.

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISTULA!
Welcome to the forum! Bill.  That is one interesting dialysis machine you are using.  There were a few discussion in this forum a few years ago about the Fresenius 5008, they called it the Cadillac of dialysis machines, I would imagine you would call it a Rolls Royce.  In any case I don't believe there are any patients on the 5008 in the US because hemodiafiltration may not be US FDA approved.

Is it true that you are having hemodiafiltration that is nearly equivalent to 20-40L of ultrafiltration (QF or UF) on a normal hemodialysis machine.  Of course the 5008 is supposed to know how to replace that fluid properly.  Have you ever experienced the sudden drop of blood pressure common to too much ultrafiltration on a regular HD, some refer to it as "crashing", on the 5008?  Thanks for your response.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1502.0

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:19 PM »

Yeah people crash on HDF all the time at our unit. I myself havent been able to do 4 hours of dialysis for over a year,i was so ill by the 3rd hour and being  :puke;. Turns out it was HDF , so now they programme my machine just to do HD. Who would think taking a step backwards would be better !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »

About 18 months ago we had a 5008 machine in to "evaluate" - it was indeed the funkiest thing I've seen in D and there were many ooohs and aaahs going around (but I never got to be put on it, natch!). In the end I heard we didn't go with them due to 'cost" but I wonder if it was the HDF thing. We use 4008's and 2008's currently.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:48:32 PM »

I have never had low BP while doing HDF on the 5008. It has happened on other machines a few times. Many people in our unit have had low B but I have been lucky. Greg  nice 3d rendering - keep it up. Calypso, every day dialysis allows me one more day to be with the person I love is a happy day. I don't feel well all the time but I am always thankful. I watch sports, chat on chat lines, and generally try to get the 4 hours over with the least irritation and the netbook really helps. I have a Kindle to read as well.
I had a lot of trouble at Davita in Florida - sick after each session. At a Frenisus clinic in Connecticut the results were much better. Never again Davita! Kickstart, for some reason, some people tolerate HD much better than HDF,  I love the 5008's Richard. Next time you hear some politicians say bad things about the National Health service you might remember that it is free and great in the UK.

HOW CAN I REPLY INDIVIDUALLY TO PEOPLE WHO REPLY TO MY POSTS? i CAN'T SEE A WAY TO DO IT.

WMoriarty
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »

Bill, if you want to "quote" someone, you hit REPLY, then scroll until you find the persons post and click on "Insert Quote" and it will appear in the box for you to add your comment below it.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:11:29 AM »

I'm on a Fresenius 4008 and its great fault (as I understand it) is its inability to warn you when your blood pressure drops, especially if you are too close to your IW. ie you are taking off too much fluid. So I have learnt to watch my BP like a bloody hawk and how to back off quickly...either grab some saline or reduce/cancel your UF goal.
How do you find the Kindle?...I've been thinking about getting one.
The Lone IT from HM

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »

I'm on a Fresenius 4008 and its great fault (as I understand it) is its inability to warn you when your blood pressure drops, especially if you are too close to your IW. ie you are taking off too much fluid. So I have learnt to watch my BP like a bloody hawk and how to back off quickly...either grab some saline or reduce/cancel your UF goal.
How do you find the Kindle?...I've been thinking about getting one.

MY wife got one of the very first Kindles, and she loves it.  All the Classic novels are free, and there are several New book that come out that are free also.....New story lines that an author wants to try out, things like that.  She is even thinking about replacing the one she has with the newer one coming out now.  If you like the feel of a book in your hands, or think you will miss turning the pages, don't spend the money.  Other than that, the Kindle is a great choice....you can even load music from your computer to it (found that out last night).

James C. Reed
Director of Information Systems
Hema Metrics LLc
Office: 801 549-9203
Mobile:801 682-7614
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »

The Kindle is much easier to use when on dialysis. It is light, easy to read and you won't move your fistula arm!  I have the 2nd generation which makes buying books even easier. Many books are cheaper than paperbacks.
Bill

WMoriarty
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »