I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:28:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  The real numbers... How long before you can return to "normal" activities?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The real numbers... How long before you can return to "normal" activities?  (Read 4176 times)
Sax-O-Trix

« on: October 31, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »

I am hoping for a premptive transplant in the near future.  How long should I expect to be off work?  8 weeks?  12 weeks? Longer?  I realize everyone is different, but what is the realistic average? 

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »

When I has my last transplant, recovery time was 3 months, and I could take another 3 months if I needed it.. I had a sit down job, but those with more labor intensive jobs were told to take 6 months off work

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbrock

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »

I had a liver transplant 4 years ago and I was back to work in 9 weeks. I have heard a kidney transplant is a quicker recovery time. I don't know this from experience....just what they tell me. I would say everyone is different as you mentioned.
:)

Save A Life....Be A Donor!
Liver Transplant Recipient ~ 5 Years Ago ~ Blessed :)
Diagnosed in Kidney Failure ~ March 2009
Fistula Placement ~ Upper left Arm ~ Aug. 17th 2010
PD Cath placement - 5 months ago
D started 3 months ago - Manual's 3x a day. Going to try the cycler in a couple of weeks :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »

My transplant was complicated so I am not a great person to ask, but I would say I felt mostly recovered by 4 months after the fact. My first transplant I think I was back at school within a few weeks. I think age was really on my side for that one. Not so much anymore.... :laugh:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
BASSMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »

Back to work in 8 Weeks, but I still am not 100% even now.  It has been 13 weeks since my transplant.  I still wear out rather quick but I have more stamina than before my transplant and it keeps improving.  What I noticed right away was being clear headed and able to think clearly and I felt good.  Feeling good and being fatigued is better than feeling bad and being fatigued.  That is about the best way I can put it.

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »

When I went to a transplant seminar about 6 or so years ago, they suggested that the recovery is actually harder on the donor than the recipient. My understanding was that it would be at least a month off most activities. Mostly though I got the feeling that was due to the daily lab requirements more than the lack of ability to do a job.

There's also the issue that dueing the first 3 months or so when you're on the highest levels of anti-rejection drugs, the risks of picking something up are that much higher, so you'd really want to limit exposure to public places as much as possible.

So i guess a reasonable answer or expectation should be between say 1 and 3 months?

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:50:32 PM »

Mine was 8 weeks ago.  Age also factors in recovery time and if there are other physical problems.   I feel so much better than before and can do almost anything.  Like Bassman said, you still get tired.  I am working on stamina.   I think if you have a desk job, you could return in 8 weeks.  I also think there is no reason to push yourself too hard.    I hope eveyone's answers help   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »

My job is not so much manual labor intensive, but potentially germ intensive...  (Public school teacher.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:17:01 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »

For me, the 1st three weeks it was 3 times a week.  Then down to 2 times and at 8 weeks, it is now once a week.  And I have them done at my local lab draw and they fax the results to the transplant center within hours. 

I taught 4 year olds -- they are full of germs.  I would talk to your co-ordinator their opinion, since you will be around so many people and their diseases, flus, germs, etc.     

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

My job is not so much manual labor intensive, but potentially germ intensive...  (Public school teacher.) 

Oh, man, Sax! What age group? I would be extra cautious if I were you, because you could well get slammed. I was on extremely low doses of immunosuppresants when my kids started preschool and I contracted pretty much everything, often just by walking in the room to pick up my kids. My husband with his show-offy immune system never came down with anything. I am not normally a worrier (read my posts and I think you will find corroborating evidence), but unless you are teaching upper or middle school, I would wait to return until your immunosuppressants have been lowered substantially which is going to depend on how you do post-transplant (possibly as early as 3 months post)

Daily labs should only be while you're still in hospital. I think my three times a week labs ended by the second month or so, I cannot remember. I am not on a typical schedule though. I believe once a month should be standard by six months unless you are unstable for some reason. Before you know it, you will be on twice a year. Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »

twice a year???? are you kidding me?? I'd never go less than once a month.. stuff can happen so quickly, I'd think it would be better to stay on top of things, then letting it go so long

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
BASSMAN

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »

The first two weeks after transplant I had lab twice a week.  Then it went down to once a week.  I am now down to every other week at 3 months post transplant.  I am also off all antibacterials, anti-fungal and and antibiotics now too.

Teaching school would be very scary.  So many germs.  I would consult my transplant team, however, there was a little girl, maybe 8 years old, at my transplant center and they let her go back to school at 3 months post transplant.

I am sure it will depend on how stable your creatinine is.

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

My donor went home two days after surgery, couldn't drive for two weeks and I believe she was off work for 4-6 weeks.
I went home five days after surgery (no problems, just hospital policy), took it easy until the pain went away and then began my normal routine at home.  I don't work outside the house, so I'm not sure how long you should take off work.  Personally, I would take off 2 months minimum and 3 months preferably.  You're immune system is the big issue the first three months or so.  My doctor said that for the first 6+ weeks your body is very interested in the new organ and after about 6 weeks or so it begins to focus on other things and not so much on the new kidney. 

Also, take into consideration when your transplant takes place.  If its during cold and flu season (like mine was) you definitely want to stay home as much as possible.  You don't want to get sick right out of the gate.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »

twice a year???? are you kidding me?? I'd never go less than once a month.. stuff can happen so quickly, I'd think it would be better to stay on top of things, then letting it go so long

I was on twice a year for ages and ages. And to be honest, I probably went less than that, especially while at prep school. I think once a month is much too frequent for longterm patients, but if your medical system allows it and your doctors recommend it, then by all means do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »

The thing is that we all react differently. You can be less or more even though you are doing a pre emptive transplant. You really won't know till it happens. Thing to do is be cautious, use hand sanitizers, handi wipes, clorox wipes if sharing a computer at the school, even phones (have you seen the stories on germ test)

I would bring these concern up before and after transplant to get a general idea from the patients they have dealt with and what their back up plan is if your body does not like the anti rejection meds you are on. Also ask about what immunizations you should get pre and post. Some we can't have post transplant.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 07:04:42 PM »

I'm interested in the different ways you all seem to be managed post transplant. Some people go to labs 3x/week, some daily for a month, some ramp down pretty quickly etc. I guess that just underlines that each transplant is unique, and if you're doing well and able to lower meds quicker you may be able to return to more normal activities(like work) quicker.

I have to say while I'm dying for my transplant (pun intended!) I don't relish NOT working for 2-3 months. I would be bored out of my brain!  :rofl; Still I can spend all that time drinking water so that sounds good too :)

:bandance;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »

That's why I went back to work after the required 3 months, instead of taking the optional 6 months.  I was bored, and getting tired of my boyfriend and his nieces.  They were driving me crazy and I couldn't get away.. *LOL*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »

Funny, I can't remember exactly what I did in the beginning.   I think I was daily for the first few weeks and then I was twice a week, then once a week, etc. on down the line.  I was five months out when they found the lymphocele, so my schedule got off track and I went back to weekly for a while until they were confident that my labs were stable and the lymphocele was not returning.  Currently, two years out, I see my neph and have labs drawn every four months.  I can tell when my Prograf levels are up and if I feel they are he'll do an immediate lab.  I know that I can call my neph anytime and say "I want my labs drawn" and he'll do it.  I was terrified when we went off weekly checks.  I would have my labs drawn monthly if he and my insurance would allow it.  :)

Richard, I am so happy that you might soon be telling us your transplant story!  I hope it's sooner than later, my friend.  If you're on the Prednisone you will be doing more than just sitting around and drinking water.  You'll be eating!  lol  You'll enjoy that, too.  :)  Maybe you could take on some work while at home.  But why???  You'll be adjusting to the potty and the faucet.   :rofl;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »