I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Cycler cart............
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cycler cart............  (Read 8507 times)
lillinny

« on: October 28, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

We live on the second floor and have a flight of stairs to content with when transporting the cycler.  We haven't borrowed the carrier that is available to us but was advised that it wouldn't be very effective going up or down stairs.  does anyone have a suggest as to the best way to transport?  Could do with some creative ideas!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »

What kind of cycler do you have?  The one I had fit in a suitcase and weighed about 30lbs

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
lillinny

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »

It weighs more like 70 lbs.  Its for hemo dialysis. . . if that helps. . . .
greg10

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »

If you put the cycler in a case, it would likely be 100 lbs instead of 70 lbs.

1. Have you considered moving to a first floor apartment or house?
2. Have you tried mover's straps such as this:  http://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Dolly-LD1000-2-Person-Lifting/dp/B00022749Q/ref=pd_sim_hi_4_img

3. Instead of #2, a similar idea is to use a "Megamover transport stair chair" such as this : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270522625968

Both 2 and 3 require two persons to transport the cycler.

Should you decide to take my advice on any of these, just remember I am a newbie and I don't know what I am talking about  :)

edited:

I just looked at the NxStage site, they have both a hard case and a soft case.  Couldn't you just get either one and put that on a small hand truck or luggage carrier?  The soft case actually looked like it has wheels and a pulling handle.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:55:29 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Holly cow lady... and how do they delever all the boxes needed too ??  (sorry, that was my first response ) But as far as *your* question ;) are you talking about the occasional trip or more frequent?  I just think of a dolly.. I tote my chicken feed that way now as it's not as easy as it once was.  I've also moved lots of things like desks and chairs with one.  I sure hope you find a good answer here..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:29:44 AM »

The purpose built baxter cycler case has wheels and a pull out handle just like today's modern suit cases. The best way to get it up and down stairs is to go down with the case in front of you whilst pulling back on the handle at every stair drop so that it just lowers gently onto each stair. When going up stand in front the cycler and gently pull it up the stairs.

If you don't have the proper case then I'd recomend that you ordered one. 

Ken
greg10

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:07:02 AM »

If you don't have the proper case then I'd recomend that you ordered one.
There is a thread here on cost and loan availability from center.  Apparently the case is not cheap ($800) and not always available for loan from center: http://www.nxstageusers.com/forum/showthread.php?165-Hard-Case

I say just wrap it up in mover's blanket and move it with a small hand truck in the manner Ken suggests.  Be sure to strap it securely to the hand truck.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
*kana*

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 03:23:20 PM »

Well, according to my nurse(the one I can't tolerate) these machines DO come in shipping boxes, just use that.   :boxing;
My nurse wouldnt understand why you need a case with wheels etc.

I found a nice Storm/Pelican case for my machine.   

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Jie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

For PD cycler, there are a softcase and a hardcase. The softcase is for hand carrying on, being provided to each patient free. The hardcase has wheels and is for checked in, and it needs to be purchased.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »