I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 06:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  I don't know what to do
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I don't know what to do  (Read 7615 times)
Kitty Cat

Lila & Smudgie

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »

Thank you rsudock, with your guidance, I have found that the NKF is going to help us with my husband's portion of COBRA!!! This is such a huge relief, I can't even describe it.

We have been given a 60 day extension on our jobs, which will be nice, but I decided what I want to do when I grow up.....I'm going to return to college to become a social worker to work with dialysis patients. What I want to see happen is the patient being treated with dignity, their family as well. Not many social workers understand that you're not only treating a patient you are treating the family as well. This is my passion.

Since I made this decision, everything has been falling into place very nicely. Everything I've learned about it has been positive, I found out about a program where I can get my degree in 2 yrs. I haven't been this excited about anything in such a long time. I can't wait to get started. Since I wouldn't ever have imagined myself returning to school at 47, I want to start slow by beginning at the local community college, transferring to the school with the program. I've already requested information. In my heart, I am at peace, I know I am on the right path. I love to help people, this is a small way that I can contribute.

This board has made such a huge difference in my life between helping me with my husband and everything he's been through and continues to go through as well as learning things I wouldn't have thought about, you have all helped me start on this path. This is a whole new world opening up and I am so excited to cross through the door. It'll be difficult working full time, going to school and helping my husband, (sadly his dialysis days are so very hard on him that he just wants to sleep afterward now). But I know I am going to be able to do this.

Thank you all so very much for everything. We all share the world of kidneys and dialysis, but the experiences we carry with us forever. This site makes that world much easier to comprehend. I'm grateful from the bottom of my heart for each and every one of you.  :2thumbsup;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »

You haven't merely opened a new door for yourself, you damn well kicked it in!  Good for you for not panicking but, rather, creating a new circumstance for yourself.  I hope everything continues to go well for you.  You've had so very much to worry about; it is a travesty that access to health insurance in this country is dependent upon your employment status.  That's not freedom at all, which is what this country is supposed to be all about.  But that's a whole 'nuther topic.

Please keep us posted, OK!?  I'm really interested in your story. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

Kitty Cat always happy to help another D family member! I am so relieved that things are looking up for you and yours. Congrats on the decision to go back to school and pursue something you are passionate about. Their are too many folks that work "jobs" and have never gotten the chance to have a "career" about something they love and getting paid is a bonus! Good luck in your endeavors! I will think of you often.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »