I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Lean Body Mass Linked to Better Mental Health, Survival in Dialysis Patients
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lean Body Mass Linked to Better Mental Health, Survival in Dialysis Patients  (Read 2482 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: October 16, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »

Lean Body Mass Linked to Better Mental Health, Survival in Dialysis Patients

Laurie Barclay, MD

October 15, 2010 — Higher midarm muscle circumference (MAMC) is a marker for larger lean body mass (LBM) and an independent predictor of better mental health and greater survival in patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis (MHD), according to the results of a study reported online October 14 in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

"[Patients receiving MHD] with larger body or fat mass have greater survival than [those with] normal to low mass," write Nazanin Noori, MD, PhD, from Harold Simmons Center for Chronic Disease Research and Epidemiology and Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor–University of California–Los Angeles Medical Center in Torrance, and colleagues. "We hypothesized that [MAMC], a conveniently measured surrogate of [LBM], has stronger association with clinical outcomes than triceps skinfold (TSF), a surrogate of fat mass."

In this study, 792 patients receiving MHD underwent measurements of TSF, MAMC, and serum creatinine as another marker for LBM. The investigators studied the associations of these measurements with baseline Short Form 36 quality-of-life scores and 5-year survival. LBM was measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in a randomly selected subsample of 118 participants.

LBM was most strongly correlated with MAMC and serum creatinine. After adjustment for case mix, malnutrition-inflammation-cachexia syndrome, and inflammatory markers, higher MAMC was associated with better hazard ratio (HR) for the Short Form 36 mental health scale and lower HR for death. For the first to fourth MAMC quartiles, adjusted death HRs were 1.00, 0.86, 0.69, and 0.63.

Although higher serum creatinine and TSF were also associated with lower HRs for death, these associations were attenuated after multivariate adjustments. Survival was greatest with combined high MAMC with either high or low TSF (vs low MAMC/TSF) when median values of TSF and MAMC were used to dichotomize. HRs for death were 0.52 and 0.59, respectively.

"Higher MAMC is a surrogate of larger LBM and an independent predictor of better mental health and greater survival in MHD patients," the study authors write. "Sarcopenia-correcting interventions to improve clinical outcomes in this patient population warrant controlled trials."

Limitations of this study include possible selection bias during enrollment, lack of detailed information about hemodialysis treatment and technique, use of skinfold measurements quantifying peripheral rather than central fat tissue, and observational design with possible unmeasured or residual confounding.

"It is possible that interventions that can improve muscle mass or increase lean body mass can lead to better clinical outcomes and greater survival in tens of thousands of dialysis patients and probably millions of individuals with other stages of chronic kidney disease or other chronic disease states," senior author Kamyar Kalantar-Zadeh, MD, PhD, from the University of California–Los Angeles School of Public Health, said in a news release.

In an accompanying editorial, Kirsten L. Johansen, MD, from the San Francisco VA Medical Center in California, notes that both body fat and muscle mass are correlated with survival among patients who are receiving HD.

"Certainly, one could argue that anthropometry is not a perfect means of measuring body composition in the dialysis population, [but] it seems unlikely that TSF and MAMC are so flawed as to produce false associations," Dr. Johansen writes. "On the basis of these studies, we can be relatively confident that the association of high [body mass index] with improved survival among HD patients is more complex than a simple association with greater body fat. The next challenge will be to address the mechanisms underlying the associations between body composition and survival so that we can consider strategies to change body composition and determine whether such intervention can improve outcomes, and this challenge may require more precise measures of body composition than [body mass index] or anthropometry."

The National Institutes of Health, DaVita Clinical Research, Mr. Harold Simmons, and the National Center for Research Resources supported this study. The study authors and Dr. Johansen have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. Published online October 14, 2010.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/730628

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »

It's time to pump you up!
 :boxing;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »

Ya, it is better not to be a girly maan. You need to be properly pumped.
greg10

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »

Anyone here taking steriods or human growth hormones?

No, seriously, if a patient is losing lean body mass, could such treatments be prescribed?

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

Anyone here taking steriods or human growth hormones?

No, seriously, if a patient is losing lean body mass, could such treatments be prescribed?

One current study:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00250536

Before EPO was developed, Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin) --the injectable anabolic steroid--  was given to male dialysis patients to raise hemoglobin levels.

"Before 1988, steroids were only prescription drugs, as classified by by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)...

1988 ... marked the passage of the Anti-Drug Abuse Act, which put steroids in a totally different prescription category, one that stipulated very severe legal penalties for illegal sale or possession with intent to distribute. Now, steroid possession and/or distribution was considered a felony. Next, the United States Congress added steroids to the Controlled Substances Act as an amendment known as the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 1990. Steroids were now placed in "Schedule III" classification, along with amphetamines, methamphetamines, opium, and morphine, and carrying the same penalties for buying or selling them..."
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3y-QZuWPeNQJ:www.steroid.com/+what+are+anabolic+steroids+classified+as&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Human growth hormone has been studied for use in dialysis patients, but it's costs are high.

8)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:33:07 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »

Time to get muscled up, gotta get out there and exercise. :bow; :boxing; :Kit n

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
greg10

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:00:35 AM »

Thank you Zach for the detailed response.

re: exercise: Trying to get some dialysis patients who are often tired and anemic to exercise is often futile.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »

hhmmmm....Muscles, steroids, pumping up, this iis interesting that the posts so far are from males.  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; Just my obversation.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »