I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Potential Donors
| | | |-+  Isn't it irksome ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isn't it irksome ...  (Read 40506 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: October 15, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

... when the living donor coordinator doesn't reply to your emails?  Four to six weeks they said, when they took copious amounts of my blood ... it's been seven.  Surely the tissue has been typed by now? I want to know if I'm a friggin' match! I wouldn't mind but it's either knowing I'm compatible with Blokey so that we can get on with it, or knowing I'm not so that we can start trying for a baby.  Either way, our future is in their hands.

>:( < angry-ish face.

Of course, she might just be on holiday this week, but even so ... tsk.

(Just needed to rant in a quiet space.)

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

How fantastic that you have looked into being a donor for blokey!  This is even better news than your new bathroom!  Do you think it might be a good idea to phone the coordinator directly for some answers?  I don't see why it should be taking this long!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »

Do you think it might be a good idea to phone the coordinator directly for some answers?  I don't see why it should be taking this long!
Quite possibly, but I have a phone phobia so I have to do everything by email.  However much I want to know, I just can't pick up the phone to find out.

;D

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »

ohhhhhh poppylicious....... this should probably be 'priviat' message butttttttttttt, seems we have some of the same issues :(  I see your "shy" icon (or waht ever thats called..lol) (im social phobic not 'just' ha! shy) and now the phone thing, and i have ohhhh so many more than that.  Now, i will say that i can pick up the phone and 'initiate' a call, but i for the life of me cannot answer a phone, even if i know whos calling.  I dont need to change this into an 'issue' thread,,lol, but just to show that we here have other things in common besides kidney stuff..  .......... Is that a good thing?  lol

oh yea,,, congratulations on your efforts to be a possible donner for hubby.  I 'finally' offered myself up for that as well, but so far, they're saying hubby needs much more than kidney  :'(  so havent gone further.   I will love to follow your pregnancy if it goes that way too. Either way, im hoping for someone to get to gettin so you can get the show on the road :-)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:26:15 PM by boswife » Logged

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »

This is mind-blowing. I have a phone phobia as well, or did have. I am over it now and actually enjoy talking to people on the phone but I used to ask my husband to make every call for me. That doesn't work so well when one is seeking personal medical details, needless to say.

Poppy, I know it's easier said than done, but you may well have to take a deep breath and just make that call.

If I were there I would phone for you (and would probably enjoy it, too - I like asserting my rights and the rights of others with medical people). Could you get someone else to call for you? Emails are too easy to ignore.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »

I have a huge phone issue too!  Always----hated the phone as a teenager!  Love caller ID!   Love, love email and facebook!    Who knew so many had a problem with phones?

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »

Ha!  I love this place!  Most people I know in Real Life find my phone phonia really odd, and they just don't understand it.  I didn't mind the phone when I was a teenager, my problems came later.  I never think twice about ringing/picking up the phone when it's Mumsy or Blokey, but anyone else (even my siblings) and I panic.  Oddly, if I *have* to talk to someone I *can* do it (for example, when the transplant coordinator rang me when I first enquired, and when the bathroom man rang, and when I *had* to ring my mobile provider for something.)  I think my main issue is the actual thought of using the phone.  It's really weird, and so difficult to explain to people who just don't get it.  I'm sure that if I sat down and thought about it, I'd probably be able to pinpoint the cause.

Yay! for you lovely folk for understanding!

;D

Poppy, I know it's easier said than done, but you may well have to take a deep breath and just make that call.
You're right, and I will if it gets to Wednesday and I haven't heard anything.  Of course, on Wednesday I'll probably just say, 'Oh, I'll just wait till Friday, maybe they've posted me something ...'

:urcrazy;

Pam

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »

I want to join this club also! I will answer the phone if its my  parents or children. Any one else better leave a message and then I decide if I want to talk. Thank heaven for caller ID.

Poppy don't put that call off until Wed, call mon and get it over with! Hope it will be good news.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »

I also have to join this club, but I cant be president, because I dont go into a turmoil or anything when the phone rings, I just HATE talking on it. HATE it. It is like such a big intrusion into my life that sometimes I just wont answer it. Like Poppy, tho, I wll always put off making calls until the last minute.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:49:18 AM »

I tell my husband, just because it is a good time for someone to call me, doesn't mean it is a good time for me!   I now turn the ringer off if I am napping or resting.  Our rest is too important to interupt.   I sound very anti-social, don't I?

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 10:06:16 PM »

I have a phone phobia too.  I don't answer the phone unless it's my parents, and sometimes, even if it's my dad, I don't answer, or my little brother.  He calls my cell, and I answer cuz his ring is Stephen Colbert saying, "show us your t*ts" and it makes me laugh.  I don't like making phone calls, and when I know I have to make a call, like when it's something to do with credit cards or some kind of govt thing, I have to psych myself up to do it.  I think it comes from working in call centres, and hating the last year of it.  I've never been more happy to leave a job in my entire life

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

Well damn there goes my secret plan to phone you and breathe deeply at you (hey, I breathe with a accent)  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:28:06 AM »

I have to psych myself up to do it.
Exactly!  Sometimes it can take days, and sometimes I never get psyched up enough and just don't bother.

Well, I emailed the lady again.  The second one was a little bit shirty.  She sent me an email back apologising for the delay and asking me to ring her back

*screams*

then,

*laughs*

So, I just did it.  I took a deep breath and phoned. I decided it was important enough. Yay me!

She wasn't there, so a nice chap said he'd get her to ring me back.  Now I'm panicking slightly as I wait for the phone to ring.

*sigh*

Well damn there goes my secret plan to phone you and breathe deeply at you (hey, I breathe with a accent)  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :rofl;
Was this aimed at all the lovely phone phobic ladies?!

;D

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »

aimed at whoever wants to send me their phone number - and then panic!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »

I've spoken to the lady.  She waffled on for a bit, but the general gist is that I can give Blokey one of my kidney's.  Next up is a fasting blood test, treadmill test, a meeting with the renal counsellor and a kidney scan (to make sure I have two of the little buggers.) She mentioned numbers, I became confused, she said she'd explain it all to me when she sees me (probably two weeks.)

The only issue is my weight ... I need to lose about a stone (14 pounds).  Unfortunately I think that's going to be hard.  I've lost six stone, one and a half pounds (85.5 Ibs)

*pauses for the applause*

in the last 16 months and have plateau'd.  My body just doesn't want to lose anymore at the moment; I've only lost about 9 Ibs in the last three months.  I'm hoping it's not psychological (my mind and body could be working against me because of the kidney donation) and that knowing I can donate - and on top of that, knowing that the sooner it happens, the sooner I can have a baby - will be the incentive I now need to shift the extra poundage.

So, regardless of whether anyone comes here to cheer me on, I'm going to promise myself that I'll come here every week to plot my progress (I go to WW meetings on Wednesday evenings).

I'm quite good at breaking promises, mind.

;D

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »

Oh, Good For You!!! :clap; :clap; :clap;   Just think...maybe in the not too distant future, you'll have a closer to normal life with a healthy blokey and a happy little punkin!!  Your svelte self will be able to make all of your dreams come true.  If that's not incentive, I don't know what is.  To be able to relieve suffering and bring new life into the world...Poppy, think about that!  How wonderful!!!!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »

Here is a standing ovation    :clap;   :clap;    :clap;   :clap;     85.5 pounds!!!  Amazing!  You can do these last few pounds   :2thumbsup;    I just can't say enough about what you have accomplished.  Not many people could do what you have done.   :cuddle;     I'll be looking for your next update.    Go Poppy!!!!!

vcarmody

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »

Good for you Poppylicious!!  :yahoo;  Here our BMI has to be under 30.  I want to be a possible donor for my husband and since July I have lost 27 lbs.  I was stuck at 86.7 for a while and then one day I stepped on the scale and I was 85 on the nose.  Now I am lingering between 85 and 85.5.  I want to get down to 80 by Jan or Feb it is so hard, but I am gonna keep battling  :boxing; !  As for the phone.  I am a 911 telecommunicator, Police, Fire, EMS dispatcher for a Township police department.  I used to love the phone, but now I hate it.  Even when my husband or my mom call I dread having to answer and talk.  I do it for 12 hours a day and by the time I am home the last thing I want to do is talk on the phone.  Keep up the good work Poppylicious that is something to be proud of, losing weight is hard work!

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

well, there's always voice mail.........

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 02:16:32 PM »

@ Richard     .......and texting!   Oh, never mind.  You have problems with cyper space eating your texts so the intended receiver never gets them.   :rofl; 

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »

I don't know.. texting might not be too bad.. at least it's not so hard to do with one hand......  :shy;

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 10:56:14 PM »

RichMel you can call me and breathe deep anytime!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »

RichMel you can call me and breathe deep anytime!
*gasps*

;D

Just an update ... my Facebook status currently reads:  "Poppylicious is proud to announce that her ultrasound this morning revealed two (perfect) specimens, despite one being a tad hard to find ... (this will not mean what you think it does *chuckles*)"

Oh, and I've now lost 89Ibs (3 and a half in the last month).  Now that they've changed the WeightWatchers to ProPoints I'm a little more motivated.

;D

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »

Okay, 96Ibs.  It's sooooo slow.

And my adventures with the whole evaluation process are in my 'dialysis' blog (link below) if anyone is interested.

;D

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »

Oooo Poppy, you are getting there!  Congratulations and keep up the good fight, my friend.   :cuddle;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »