I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Blood in urine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood in urine  (Read 11773 times)
EnglishBelle

« on: October 10, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

Hi Everyone,
                 Got a little problem regarding blood in urine. I have Polycystic Kidney disease and I have had numerous cyst ruptures, so I have an idea as to what to expect but this has got me concerned. On Thursday after coming home from dialysis (hemo in centre) I had slight flank pain, here we go I thought and yup, I was right, dark horrible urine. This continued till Friday afternoon, when suddenly the urine was bright red, fresh blood. Now I was getting really concerned at this, check the internet etc....made things worse.
             On Sat morning at the centre, armed with a sample, I explained what was happening and the nurses said they would call a Doctor down. Well this doctor came down just as I was finishing dialysis, he checked my notes etc, asked the usual questions about pain, was I bleeding from back passage etc etc. He then ordered a "blood clotting test"...even though my access's had clotted quickly for me, then muttered something about camera to view bladder etc and that was it. Now on Sunday it seemed as if this bleeding was stopping, clear since this morning but now it has come back with a vengeance, really red, dark but lots of it. It is now scaring me.
                 Do I wait for this doc to organise the test, do I go to the emergency dept or do I wait until I go to the dialysis unit on Tuesday ?, I am worried about losing too much blood here, the pain in the sides and back I can handle, it is just the amount of blood that has me worried.

Oh btw..in the UK here.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »

I'd go to the ER.. you don't know what's causing the bleeding, and if it's that strong coming out, think what it's like inside you. Even if you have to explain a million things to clueless people, at least hey can look

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »

Go to the ER.  Peace of mind and if something is really wrong you'll be in the right place.

Hazmat35

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »

Definetly go to the ER. 

I have PKD and that happens to me All the time!  It scares the HELL out of you!  The 1st time it happened they took me to the ER, and admitted me, and ran all kinds of tests only to find out nothing. 

My Neph says that the cysts sometimes fill with blood instead of bodily fluids, and when they burst, it comes out in your urine.  I can have this go sometimes for 2 or 3 days.  Then it slowly fades away until the cycle happens again in a few months. 

Mine is more of a "dark" red, not a bright red.  Sounds like you might need to get a lower G.I done.  Could be internal bleeding. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »

Blood in your urine is NEVER something to brush aside. The blood clotting test I beleive is called a PTT. (partial thromboplastin time). It helps determine how long it takes for your blood to clot. Platelets, the smallest of the blood cells, are responsible for your blood clotting. Blood in your urine though sounds more like a bleed from somewhere but that's just my opinon. I hope this gets resolved soon.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »

Blood in the urine is how i found out i had PKD.
I had a deep tissue massage and the next day was peeing blood.  Went to the ER and after they ran my insurance for all it was worth they told me i had PKD.  This came five days later before discharging me.

Since then i bleed off and on for a few days at a time.  Usually after doing Manuel hard work or lifting to much.  My Neph says there isnt really anything to do for it.  Depending on how long the blood has been in the cysts determines the color.  I have had from bloodred to a dark rusty looking color.

I have come to live with it. 
But by all means it have it checked out.  It could be something unrelated. Though my bet wold be just cysts bursting inside you.
Also the pain in my sides and back increases when cysts in me start to break. 

Good Luck

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
EnglishBelle

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41:24 AM »

Hi Everyone,
                 Thanks for the responses, went to the A&E (ER) last Sun night 10th. Nightmare, had a saline drip attached to me and was admitted to a ward and what a ward. There were patients running around asking for wine at 2am, two patients having a snoring contest and to top it off, a nurse checking my BP and temp every 30mins. Saw Doc, did not get anywhere, was sent for a ct, where I had to remind the nurse doing it that I was a PKD patient with enlarged kidneys...she still tried to burst them  >:( . Doc came back at 5pm and said I could go home, bleeding was slowing down and to him it was a ruptured cyst. Tuesday at dialysis I was in agony, neph just said take some painkillers, it will go in a few days. Wed spent day in bed with electric blanket on and duvet over me, shivering my socks off, infection somewhere I thought (had them before). Thursday, my dialysis nurse did blood tests and blood cultures and when a normal bacteria score is 5.0...mine came back at 269, a nice infection of the cysts. When Neph came round and I pointed this out to him, he was like "Oh..where did that come from" >:( . Today my blood is finally thinning out in the urine, like a very watered down coke at the moment, still got flank pain but I think the antibiotics are doing something good down there.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »