I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Laxatives and Detox???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxatives and Detox???  (Read 8694 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:49 AM »

The other day I asked my nephro if I could use a laxative.  I don't have constipation, but I had such irregular BMs that I felt like taking something to just clean me out.  Plus, I thought that would take care of some fluid the same time.  He advised me not to.
I have been also thinking of those herbal detoxes that are about the place.  I wonder if that would be okay, since one of our problems as a renal patient is that toxins accumulate in our system.
Anyone have an idea about these things?  Or use any of them?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
melshell

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 07:22:21 AM »

Hi! I was wondering; your neph. told you not to use a laxative, but he didn't recommend any other solution to your problem? My neph. is a firm believer that modern day meds are based on herbal "remedies" of the past, therefore herbal preparations should be treated with the same caution as any prescription medication. I try to be diligent about clearing any and all meds with him prior to taking, even over the counter ones. The ONE time I didn't clear an ordinary prescription for an antibiotic with him cost me dearly!!

FSGS since 1991
ESRD 9/06
PD since 12/06

"...atleast I didn't wake up dead this morning..."

sqzagapeach@yahoo.com
myspace.com/mel8675309
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 07:28:42 AM »

My neph doesn't think I need a laxative.  I have BMs everyday, several times a day.  I just wanted to have something to make me feel like I was being 'cleaned out', I guess.  I don't need it, but I certainly want it.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »

If you feel you need it then ask the doctor the mechanics of why he doesn't suggest it.  He/she needs to fully explain themselves as to why they do not recommend it and the basis for such an opinion.

Too many doctors are quick on the draw to discount something suggested by the patient.   :banghead; >:(

Any risks involved need laid out for you to decide if they are worth taking or not.  It is your peace of mind at hand, not theirs.

I do not know if this will help or not.  But it is said that most dialysis patients do not take in enough fiber in their diet.  You may want to add some fiber to your diet via one of the psyllium  type fiber products.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »

Bajanne, please whatever you do decide to do, make sure it is cleared with your nephro first.  I remember asking about some herbal vitamins and they explained why i cant, geeeze, never knew something that is supposed to be natural would hurt me, but it can, and i would hate anything to happen to you.  I know when i am feeling a little "sluggish" and i feel that my "pipes" are feeling a little "clogged" :P  i do drink some hot prune juice (careful with the potassium though)  Please keep us posted as to what helps you best, i am sure others would really like to know as well as myself.  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:56:24 PM »

That prune juice is a great idea.  Actually, my potassium has always shown up as low, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:11:16 PM »

Would whole, pitted prunes be better maybe?  Same effect but not so much fluid? 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:15:06 PM »

Actually, that is what I was saying I would do.  I remembered that at our Christian Fellowship camps when I was a teenager, there was always one day when the dessert would be prunes (whole, pitted) and custard to help those who might have had problems since they were away from home and with a different diet.  It used to work!!  Gonna buy me some tomorrow!!

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »

I tried eating prunes to begin with and it just wasnt helping,  that is when i tried 8 oz. of very warm (almost hot) but not really, prune juice, then after i finished that, i drank like 6 oz. of water to really get it into my system, let me tell you, ummm, lets just say, it worked faster than i wanted it to  :-\  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
nextnoel

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 06:08:57 AM »

Goofynina, for a less spectacular but still effective response, next time try apricot nectar; learned about this after I had my daughter (34 years ago!), and it's served me well ever since.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 04:56:03 AM »

Well, I got both prunes and prune juice, and at the risk of TMI, IT WORKED!!!!!!! (and worked and worked....)

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »

Well, I got both prunes and prune juice, and at the risk of TMI, IT WORKED!!!!!!! (and worked and worked....)

WOOHOOO :2thumbsup;  Ladies and gentlemen,  Elvis has left the building ;) ;) ;)
glad to hear it Bajanne

www.kidneyoogle.com
susie q

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »

:rofl;
Glad everything  came out  ok..   :2thumbsup;
Panda_9

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 04:15:55 AM »

Be careful of prunes as they are high in potassium. If you were "going" several times a day then I wouldnt suggest a laxative either. Be careful you dont dehydrate yourself, and definitely ask the doctor about any herbal medicines before taking, as they can be toxic and can cause alot of damage.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »