I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:18:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Arms and legs tingling???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arms and legs tingling???  (Read 5834 times)
jojosmommy

« on: October 07, 2010, 05:52:22 AM »

First, thanks to everyone who gave me advice about getting started on dialysis a couple of weeks ago.  It was all very helpful.  I"m in my second week of D now.  I spent last week in the hospital getting started and was treated for 5 days in a row.  Needless to say by Friday I felt terrible.  Not exactly the outcome I was looking for. 

As for my question this morning, I had dialysis last night and felt ok.  Woke up this morning and I"m noticing that my hands/arms are going to sleep (tingling as if there is limited circulation) and my legs are doing the same when I sit down.  Should I consider this as a bad thing or something that should be expected?  It's a little strange. 

Thanks!

PKD
Diagnosed Feb. '06
Fistula May '09
Dialysis Sept. '10
Fistulagram- Christmas '10
karen547

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:03:25 AM »

you should have your calcium levels checked, they could be low. Good luck!~!  :flower;
greg10

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »

As for my question this morning, I had dialysis last night and felt ok.  Woke up this morning and I"m noticing that my hands/arms are going to sleep (tingling as if there is limited circulation) and my legs are doing the same when I sit down.  Should I consider this as a bad thing or something that should be expected?  It's a little strange. 
Thanks!
This is a sign that you may be becoming less uremic and that the dialysis is working, but of course you should consult your nephrologist and endocrinologist (if you have diabetes).  Studies have shown that the nerves that were poisoned and inactivated with kidney failure can be reactivated with dialysis and when they recovered, the nerves become sensitive, resulting in the tingling sensation:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11284054

The present findings indicate that in the process of dialysis some of the previously inactive axons become activated. The reason for the inactivation of the axons may be due to the accumulation of toxic substances in the body as a result of renal failure. After hemodialysis, most the toxic substances are removed from the body and this leads to an increase in the number of active axons.

You should also read this article which deals with dialysis and neuropathy:
http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200706/

and this thread here on tingling:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20090.msg337046#msg337046
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:04:42 AM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »

I don't have that answer as I'm just a caregiver but ALWAYS tell your center anything different that is going on with you. THEY need to know as well to help you be the best you can be.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
carson

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »

texasstyle, caregivers are EXTREMELY important to us. Without your support we'd find dealing with the disease and dialysis much more difficult. So please, next time don't refer to yourself as "just a caregiver". What you have to say is just as valuable as one of the patients!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
calypso

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »

I had tingling when my potassium was too high. Mostly in my extremities (hands and feet).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:06:30 AM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »