I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Arterial Blood Spout
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arterial Blood Spout  (Read 1447 times)
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« on: October 05, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »

I was holding the pad over the arterial access (usually for 10 minutes on blunts) and when it removed it the access looked OK...it appeared to have scabbed over...so I reached for a pad and tape to seal it ...and bingo! Blood spouted everywhere, it must have gone a foot into the air...a veritable fountain.
That was yesterday...today the venous site did the same thing, but not nearly as dramatic. I haven't changed any part of the procedure and everything has been OK for 2 months.
What is happening? 
vcarmody

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »

I know this is going to sound strange way of doing this, but I used to have the same problem. Now when I put the needles in, I place a band aid over top then finish taping it down.  When his treatment is over I take off the tape, and then kinda lift the band aid so I can get the needle out with out removing the band aid.  This way if my husband does not clot the blood just kinda oozes from the band aid instead of squirting like a water fountain.  Plus this kinda makes me feel a little better that the band aids are at least sterile and the pads they give me to stop the bleeding are not.  I always keep a sterile band aid over his button holes from the time I stick him until he takes his bandages off.  I always hated the fact that they are so worried about infection but they choose not to use sterile 2X2's.
Oh and by lifting the band aid I mean I just un-stick the wings of the needle (I don't really lift the band aid off).

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »