I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 06, 2024, 07:14:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Keeping the old, the sick and the homeless safe
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Keeping the old, the sick and the homeless safe  (Read 5407 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 16, 2006, 12:38:24 AM »

Keeping the old, the sick and the homeless safe

By Marsha King, Sonia Krishnan and Kyung M. Song
Seattle Times staff reporters

For the homeless of the region, the lacerating winds Thursday night simply became too much, driving overflow crowds to shelters.

In Shoreline, at least a few adult family homes tried to warm residents with portable heaters, fireplaces or bundled blankets. And five out of the 12 Northwest Kidney Centers were without power Friday, triggering an emergency dialysis regimen for some patients.

But for the most part, the institutions for the region's most vulnerable people managed to weather the storm just fine.

Thanks to backup generators and batteries, hospitals and nursing homes in Seattle and King County were among the few places that kept operating, mostly uninterrupted, protecting critical patients and keeping computers running as the power crashed Thursday night.

"As bad as this storm was, we've been pretty fortunate," said Darren Redick, vice president of facilities for Swedish Medical Center. "Our staff made it in and we've been running pretty well."

Two shelters operated by Hopelink in Kenmore and Redmond remained without power Friday afternoon. The agency said it might put people up in motels if the outage continues.

In Snohomish County, staff at the Everett Gospel Mission scurried to find 30 extra cots and made sleeping spaces in hallways and offices. A boarding home in Edmonds was evacuated when a tree fell into it, and a similar home in Mill Creek was cleared out when it lost power.

Several hospitals, including Children's Hospital & Regional Medical Center in Seattle and Stevens Hospital in Edmonds, lost electricity overnight before it was restored Thursday morning. Hospitals canceled many elective surgeries to conserve power.

But in general, hospitals fared relatively well because of sophisticated emergency systems.

Generators kept things running at Swedish's Providence campus in Seattle and Group Health Cooperative's Eastside Hospital in Redmond. Several trees fell on Group Health's woodsy campus, but spokeswoman Katie McCarthy said none hit the hospital.

Northwest Kidney Centers was redirecting patients to locations with electricity. The patients' dialysis treatments will be shortened, from three or four hours to 2 ½ hours, to accommodate the patient load, said spokeswoman Ingrid Goodwin. All patients are asked to call 206-292-2771, extension 0.

Meanwhile, one hospital's emergency capabilities ended up helping its community in a different way:

Kirkland residents discovered that emergency diesel generators at the public Evergreen Hospital Medical Center made it a choice dining spot, and they streamed into the hospital cafe. Officials said they planned to stay open late Friday night — until 10 p.m. — to serve the hungry people.

Kyung Song: 206-464-2423 or ksong@seattletimes.com

Sonia Krishnan: 206-515-5546 or skrishnan@seattletimes.com

Marsha King: 206-464-2232 or mking@seattletimes.com

URL: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003480670_stormvulnerable16m.html?syndication=rss

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:27:13 AM »

In Canada where I live the winters are so cold that during those months we live in a perpetual state of emergency with respect to the lethal temperatures outside.  I can never believe that society is content to let the homeless sleep on the streets under such circumstances, but in a city like Winnipeg, for example, on cold winter mornings you can often see the police collecting frozen bodies of homeless people out of the snow.  In Ottawa I was amused by the irony that the Episcopal church, in whose doorway the homeless used to crowd for shelter on cold nights, eventually built an iron gate to keep them out!  How Christian!  I guess the reason the government doesn't have enough money to build adequate free housing for the homeless is that we are spending so much ($2 billion a year) "helping" the people in Afghanistan.  Isn't it odd, though, how it is the very same countries which are so reluctant to spend any money helping their own needy which are also always so eager to "help" the needy by invading foreign countries which are either rich in oil or occupy an important geopolitical position on the map?
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:54:36 AM »

Stauffenberg, care to share how many random homeless people you have let sleep on your couch?  ::)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 06:59:51 PM »

Stauffenberg, care to share how many random homeless people you have let sleep on your couch?  ::)
:thumbup;  Sara

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »

Now that you have a transplant stauffenberg, are you working full time?

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
vandie

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:15:24 PM »

In Canada where I live the winters are so cold that during those months we live in a perpetual state of emergency with respect to the lethal temperatures outside.  I can never believe that society is content to let the homeless sleep on the streets under such circumstances, but in a city like Winnipeg, for example, on cold winter mornings you can often see the police collecting frozen bodies of homeless people out of the snow.  In Ottawa I was amused by the irony that the Episcopal church, in whose doorway the homeless used to crowd for shelter on cold nights, eventually built an iron gate to keep them out!  How Christian!  I guess the reason the government doesn't have enough money to build adequate free housing for the homeless is that we are spending so much ($2 billion a year) "helping" the people in Afghanistan.  Isn't it odd, though, how it is the very same countries which are so reluctant to spend any money helping their own needy which are also always so eager to "help" the needy by invading foreign countries which are either rich in oil or occupy an important geopolitical position on the map?
Holy Crap!!  Quit moaning about the government and throw some money at these problems you are so quick to complain about.  If you think the homeless need more aid, offer your time at a homeless shelter, offer donations to one.  Spouting off statistics at every turn just gets absurd.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 04:56:54 AM »

I have been watching the direction of this thread and have not commented until now. We need to stay on topic. The thread is about keeping the old, sick and homeless safe.

The two most controversial subjects are religion and politics. If you want a debate about religion or politics then go to off-topic and start a thread on of those topics.

-Sluff

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:39:17 PM »

I only wish I could help the less fortunate but I'm strapped myself. If I could I would help in less than a heartbeat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »