I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Did you accomplish anything today?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 73 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you accomplish anything today?  (Read 306472 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

I love this thread because it reminds me that I'm not always to blobby to do anything.  And it does, like Stoday says, give us a peek into each others' lives.

We've had beautiful autumn weather here in Chicagoland, so I walked to the hardware store and bought some gardening supplies, namely some thick gloves and some garden rubbish bags.  With the walk back home, I got in 2.5 miles which made me feel healthy and virtuous.  I watched All My Children (the only soap I've ever watched, and I've been watching it on and off since it started in 1970), had some lunch and then started clearing out my front beds.  My Japanese barberry bushes are overgrown, so I trimmed them up.  I removed spent dill and trimmed my blackberry bushes, hence my need for think gardening gloves.  I then relaxed on the deck and read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" until my son called from London.  He's really into music, so he calls and has me look up/listen to various bands on YouTube, and then we discuss the bands' relative merits.  He teaches me about really obscure bands like Red Jumpsuit Apparatus or some such thing.  I'm such a cool mom! :cuddle;

My husband is teaching tonight, so I am watching Devdas, a Bollywood film with Aishwarya Rai who is the most beautiful woman in the world.  I'm flipping between that and the baseball playoffs.  I have very varied interests. :rofl;

Isn't porridge high in phosphorus?  I do miss a good bowl of porridge.  Seriously, is that safe to eat?  If so, I'm going out to the shops tomorrow to buy some!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 08:37:44 PM »

Dropped from vicarious exhaustion after reading about cariad's day.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I think I have a talent for making very little sound like something. That's a gift that academia bestows upon most of its graduates.

Today was not such a great day. Colleagues all came down with tragic amnesia and were wistfully stating that they missed hideous coworker (even the colleague who played no small part in getting her the sack). There is not enough work for me to do so I had to call the company owner and tell him I need more work or I'm going to have to quit the position. He sent me a proposal to proof, which I have yet to touch, though I'm sure it will be interesting.

Spoke to Northwestern. Topic for another discussion, but it was frustrating. They demand excruciatingly detailed accounts of every complaint, I suppose because it must be reported in their final analysis? I find it difficult enough to describe pain, but the sort of detail they require is beyond my capabilities. Research nurse also has a habit of making contradictory statements and then resisting clarification.

Other than that, errands, labs which went very smoothly, conference calls, and sadness at the school when I picked my younger child up and found he had refused to participate in part of karate. I sat him down in a quiet room and he told me "J said he did not want to be my partner even though we are still best friends". I've heard that he and J are close, but am starting to suspect that J is gravitating away from my son. We discuss the incident and I go find his teacher and suggest that four and five year olds are too young for the stress of picking partners and facing rejection. She agrees and tells me that the week prior, the girls were in tears over this very issue. We know sensei and the assistant very well, so Gwyn will ask them to reconsider this policy. I encourage my son to branch out and make other friends in his class. He tells me that he is also friends with A (who does not take karate) but I am still relieved to hear this. On the up side, we always knew he would be a musician, and he is doing very well in piano. From the age of 2 months, his nickname has been Satchmo. :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

Half done with writing my legal research paper due on Monday.  The second half should go quickly, as I've got a very detailed outline and the conclusion already decided on.  Still 3 days to finish it, so I'm doing well for time.

Also filled out all kinds of medical release forms for transfer to potential new neph in my new home town.  Got those done and mailed, as well as copies and a letter to the new doc's office to tell them to expect the paper flood.  Those were on my "idonwaaaaaaanna" list so it's good to have them off my list of chores.  While I was in form mode, I also sent out things about aid and disability reviews that weren't due for a bit yet.  Nice to be ahead of the list for once.  Besides, once I had that boring mess done, it was a lot easier to do an interesting research paper, even when I'd rather have done something pointless and fun.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 07:19:30 PM »

I finished the washing - and found more!!! Luckily the days here are lovely and sunny so everything's drying really well. I even did some watering in my poor neglected garden. (How do I 'garden' while on PD - without doing any lifting? ::::: Very carefully   :)

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »

I didn't do anything today except get up, eat, and go to dialysis, but in my head, I slowly made a list of stuff I need to do.

1. Need to call and make an appointment with the registrar at UPEI.  I've put my life on hold for far too long, and if I want to do the things I want to do, I have to start at it now, kidney or no kidney.  I'm thinking that if I explain my situation to her, perhaps she will have some options or suggestions for me to be on dialysis and get my education at the same time.

2.  Need to call the university pool and make an appointment for an orientation for myself and my mom.  We both need the exercise and we both love the water, so I was thinking that an aquafit class would be good for us

3.  Need to clean the crap off my computer. The hard drive is full, mostly with downloaded tv shows.  Now, that's just something I need to get off my posterior and do, instead of playing around on message boards. *L*

Mom wants to take me shopping tomorrow.  I don't like shopping, never did, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.  At least part of it will be fun.  We're getting a new phone for my Bro, cuz the one he has, the service is crap, and his work can't get a hold of him.  If they can't reach him, he could lose his job.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2010, 05:49:05 AM »

Finished two loads of laundry!!!!
The day is yet young, so I hope to accomplish much more!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2010, 04:07:45 PM »

I didn't do anything today either.  Mom and I went out to supper.  I imagine Mom will be on her computer all evening, researching furnace payment plans.  Ours kicked the bucket last night

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pam

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »

I'm exhausted and probably won't be able to move tomorrow, but today I took down 8 mini blinds and washed. Then washed all of my windows on the out side! Glad my house is only 1 story, that darn ladder was getting heavy. I'm sure that Michigan won't have very many more days in the 70's so it had to be done. You're probably wondering what  DH did. He graded the driveway and cut down 2 dead trees. We are ready for winter :clap;
Pam
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »

I'm jealous, Pam. We are sooooo unprepared for winter.

OK! I'm not sure I accomplished anything so much as desperately tread water all day. Gwyn has whatever virus I had a week ago, and spent the entire day in bed. I did get to sleep in a bit - until about 8:30 AM. Read a bit, then showered for the day. I knew it was supposed to be well into the 80s, and this always energizes me. Aidan had soccer game at 11:15 on the fringe of town and I wanted to leave by 10:30.

Grabbed iced tea and Clif bar for self, ice water for Gwyn, lemonade for the kids while also taking a moment to chuck a few juice packs into the fridge to cool. Asked Aidan to get breakfast for himself and brother while I applied sunscreen, made more iced tea, and finished washing up that would not fit in machine last night. Packed up water bottle, change of shirt for Liot in case of emergency, candies for after game, juice packs, soccer ball (Aidan insisted), and tea for self. Remembered to take drugs before leaving. Sunscreen kids. Late leaving, arrived on time but proper pitch was not on map so wandered around with two kids in blistering heat until we found field. Five minutes late. Elliot persistently tells me that I was going to take him to the bouncy slide, so I cannot watch match.

Took Liot to bouncy slide and bouncy castle. He ran back and forth across the grass to get between the two, sans shoes. I wanted him to be wherever the older children were not, but quickly realised that he had much more fun with the older kids and I was going to lose this battle. Finally lured him away with promise of fresh lemonade, and we return to field just in time to collect Aidan. They've lost horribly, but the usual suspects have scored - Aidan, coach's son, one of the two "wonder brothers" (the other is an amazing goalie) and a fourth player. Aidan informs me he wants to have a go on bouncy slide and castle. I relent, and his entire team turns up to play with him, as well as best friend who is on another team. Liot wants to slide with Aidan. Aidan does not want to slide with Liot. Team mate of Aidan's grabs Elliot's hand and says "I'll take him". Teammate plays with Elliot for nearly half an hour while Aidan is free to do as he pleases with other friends. I cannot thank this kid enough.

Return home, Aidan showers, I make "Crazy Ol' Aidan Sandwich" (which Liot insists is actually called a "Crazy Ol' Elliot Sandwich) consisting of (brace yourselves) hot dog roll with full banana, peanut butter, and jam. Slice in half as we only have one roll left and both kids want this for lunch. Aidan asks for chocolate on his, I say no, then end up bringing over chocolate sprinkles for them. I swear them both to secrecy. Drive Aidan to friend's house, take Elliot with me to co-op. We buy much needed groceries and return home. Elliot is scratching his head vigorously. This can mean only one thing. I check his hair - sure enough.... Treat his head for lice, give him a shower, comb through his hair, he is so very patient through all of it. Gwyn informs me that parent's of Aidan's friend will drop Aidan off around 5:30PM. Thank you, parents! Aidan returns, they chill in front of television, and I will realise later that Liot was supposed to be at ice skating course this evening. I make easiest dinner possible (pasta with sauce from a jar). They eat this, tell them both to get pajamas on. Do washing up and laundry. Read Elliot a story. Send them both to bed. More cleaning and more laundry. Now sitting down to IHD. I have a write-up due tomorrow for work that will probably take me an hour or so, and then hopefully to bed though house is still utter disaster. Gwyn says he is feeling a bit better, so I am hopeful for tomorrow. Tired.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2010, 09:51:28 PM »

I slept till one o'clock this afternoon from midnight! Surprised me!   Accomplished getting dressed and going out to dinner with hubby!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2010, 01:27:18 AM »

I like Kits plan of Action the best. Today I did two loads of laundry and all my ironing. Tomorrow, going to be admitted to the hospital for my angiogram. Finally!!! My son is here, and he barbecued 2 tri tip roasts and some chicken. We had potato salad ( leeched potatoes) and beans. Then he deicded he needed to go to the store and came back with a watermelon, a large box of strawberries and some chocolate to melt. So I showed him how and he made those also. We ate nearly all of them. Now it is after midnight so no food or water.My mouth is dry already. Into hospital at 8 A.M. with lots of hydration for the kidneys and then the angio at noon. Probably will spend one night in that lovely establishment, I hope and then come home.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2010, 10:09:20 AM »

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Jean.   I hope the test goes well.  We'll be waiting for the results.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »

The dreaded oral presentation is done, as well as the related research paper.  Hurray!  I can speak in public - I just don't like to!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »

Got up (SLOWLLLY), got a few calls made to docs,  ready for pt, drove to Mc Donalds for coffee and a chicken wrap and then got on highway to go to pt. Got home, took out garbage, started cleaning kitchen, layed down for a bit, got back up to finish kitchen and made a sandwich. Then emptied more trash, took a shower, got something to drink and fell asleep in my room watching Top Gear and now took meds late.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »

I did nothing today except go to dialysis... my weekly walk schedule starts tomorrow.  I'm hoping that by the end of the month, I can walk up to the top of the hill without being sore and out of breath

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:04 AM »

I played a game with one of my fifteen year old students.  We played it for half an hour because he can't read or write (well) and refuses to access an education (I teach him English).  He probably learnt more in that half hour than I've managed to teach him in the last month, because it was a literacy based game where you have to make words up and the better you do, the better you score (like Scrabble, but not really like Scrabble at all).  I'm actually quite chuffed with myself.  And he probably thinks he's got one over on me because he didn't have to read and write ... ha!

*chuffed face* >  ;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2010, 11:16:59 AM »

Nice one, Poppy! 

I tutored a little girl in math years ago who insisted she was never going to need to learn fractions.  Her teacher had been trying for weeks. So I brought in the Toll house Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe and told her when she could properly double the fractions for all the ingredients, I would bring her the double half of the batch.  She had cookies the next time I came to tutor her.  Nothing like the proper motivation.... ;)

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »

*giggles*  double half the batch.  Nice one..

I feel like I accomplished something, but I don't think I did.. I did my walk to the mailbox.  Got Beauty and the Beast in the mail today, Yay!  I came home, cleaned out my purse, which was mostly gauzes, band aids, and surgifoam.  I put that in a separate bag and put it in my dialysis kitbag, and that's about it.  I may go out with Mom later to get fuel for the heater.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »

Decided on a bathtub for my bathroom reno  (I'm so tired of my indecision that I almost let a stranger flip a coin) AND I put out 6 huge paper yard waste bags with garden waste from fall cutting back of perennials.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »

I went to doc's at Kaiser 8:30 a.m., got the stitches out of my arm, Hurray!  Then came home and took a four hour nap.  Watched TV alla fternoon, read a book, then here.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »

Did not accomplish anything but sleep and clean. Fell asleep while texting, but sleeping on the floor felt good.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2010, 06:37:21 AM »

Today I used my Wii Fit Plus for the first time in six weeks (my accomplishment being that I found the Oompf! to use it).  It grumbled at me because it thought I was heavier than the last time I used it.

*gasp* (I've lost at least 4 Ibs in that six weeks!)

Before I waddle off to Weight Watchers tonight I will be sure to put on really light clothing.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2010, 08:17:42 AM »

Not yet.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »

Went to the library then headed to the hardware store for some nails for my dad and then to the Dollar store for crackers.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
carol1987

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »

Went to the office for 5 hours and then picked up groceries (store "shopped" for me)  got home and cleaned out the fridge (lots of take out boxes since i was in the hospital last week) and am slowly organizing cabinets as I out the things away....  probably won't get finished  but at least I made  a dent!!!
And thankfully my DS16 helped carry the bags!!  :clap;

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 73 Go Up Print 
« previous next »