I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Did you accomplish anything today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you accomplish anything today?  (Read 306444 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

Yes, actually.

7 a.m.- woke up (that's doing pretty good...)

8 a.m. - Took Mr. Kitty (formerly Miss Kitty, until we found out she was a he) to the vet to get neutered.

8:30 a.m. - Headed to the water place to pay the water bill.

8:40 a.m. - Received a call from the vet saying that they have Mr. Kitty anesthetized, but that he didn't have any testicles.   :o  They wanted permission to do "exploratory surgery" to see if his testicles were in his stomach.   :waiting;     But being that he's an older kitty more than likely he's already been cut.  The exploratory surgery would be an extra $150.   :o

8:45 a.m. - Made arrangements to pick up Mr. Kitty.   :laugh:  I told them I could use the $300 to fix two other cats!!!

11 a.m. - Had a phone conversation with my Atty who's  setting up Etta's Gift.

Just relaxing now.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »

I came home from D and decided that I should do some work outside. Went in to the bedroom to get my gloves when the bed magically developed a magnetic force drawing me to it. I fought hard to resist it but the bed won. I woke up 3 hours later and the bed let let me free of its grips. Now I have some work to do.
I did get a big smiley face on monthly labs ::)

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »

This is just what I needed to read today!    I feel like I am getting nothing done, but then I remind myself that my body is working hard at healing.  I worry others think I am using the surgery as a good reason to slack off.   They probably aren't, but  --  my husband keeps thinking that 6 weeks is the magic number for when I will feel like myself.   He is going to be disappointed!     Today I got up early, went to have labs drawn, came home and took a nap,  straighted the living room, made grocery list,  rested while playing on the computer, made spaghetti for dinner and now I am done!       

Keep this thread going --- it is very helpful!    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
murphy

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »

I spent the day in the kitchen.  I made 3 batches of biscotti for my daughter to share with her swim team on her birthday.  I made brownie, almond, and cherry chip.  She better love me.  Then right after I made dinner.  I am beat.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »

Let's see:
7AM awake.
7:30 AM Gwyn brings me hot cup of tea
8:30AM Kids are gone with Gwyn, sit down to see what I have in front of me to recover from missing a week of life with illness.
9AM Endorsed what seemed like 100s of checks for the PTA (I am treasurer). Took cash, checks, drugs, and a sport bottle of iced tea to labs.
11AM Done with labs. Deposit husband's paycheck, drive across town to totally different bank to deposit PTA funds, throw myself on the mercy of the bank cashier saying I am new to this position and not sure I've done everything correctly - she sorts it all out for me.
12PM Can no longer ignore dire food shortage at home and go to coop on way back from bank. Apparently everyone goes to coop at noon on a Monday because I cannot not find parking.
1PM Home, nothing fits in fridge. Have to admit to self that we are never going to eat that kale and make room for more food by removing it. Can no longer ignore even more dire clean plate shortage and do the washing up.
2PM Grab lunch and drink and head up to start work. Phone colleague and get news that heinous coworker was finally let go. Answer a few PTA emails and check in with IHD.
5:30PM Grab reimbursement check and head out to collect the children. Drop check in PTA member's letterbox on way over.
6PM Home again. Ask Aidan to phone his father to pick up a pizza on the way home as there is no way I can envision either of us cooking.
7PM Sit down to work.
11PM decide it is time to go to bed.
1:30 AM Cannot sleep. Going to log back on and get some more work done.

This was one of my more productive days and I am so happy to not feel unwell anymore. Still behind on a million things, but made progress today.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:33 PM »

I did my weekly grocery shopping.

I went for a walk and took along my camera; I took some photos of the beautiful autumn colours to send to my relatives down south who don't get a true fall.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 01:08:03 AM »

MM you could post some Fall pictures here for those who miss it(like myself). ;D

Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

For the first time ever, I am "dialyzing" potatoes.  They're soaking away as we speak.  I'm gonna mash 'em and serve them with a pot roast that's in the slow cooker.

I started tilling my front yard; the grass all died, so I'm going to put in some paving and then put some plants there.  I don't know what I'll plant, but first I have to till the soil.  I got about an 8th of it done before I just pooped out.  I get embarrassed working in the garden because I don't have as much energy for that sort of physical labour anymore, and I feel rather pitiful if my strapping young neighbours are out working at the same time. ::)  Isn't that stupid?  They all know about my kidney situation, and I guess I secretly hope that one of them might lend me a hand, but no luck with that yet. :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
murphy

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »

Last fall when my husband gave me his kidney  we had a foot of leaves on the ground.  We were just trying to take care of ourselves and my next door neighbor complained to the city about our leaves.  He knew what we were going through.  If it bothered him so much he could have cleaned them himself,  just like a few months before he decided my peonies and bridal wreath bush were unsightly so he mowed them down and dug up the roots.  I used to have tons of beautiful flowers.  Now I only have perennials and lots of weeds.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »

Last fall when my husband gave me his kidney  we had a foot of leaves on the ground.  We were just trying to take care of ourselves and my next door neighbor complained to the city about our leaves.  He knew what we were going through.  If it bothered him so much he could have cleaned them himself,  just like a few months before he decided my peonies and bridal wreath bush were unsightly so he mowed them down and dug up the roots.  I used to have tons of beautiful flowers.  Now I only have perennials and lots of weeds.

That's just pathetic, it really is.

carol1987

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »

I have a "lovely" neighbor like that also!  Last year as i struggled to shovel my driveway from a huge snowstorm he freaked cause I was throwing "snow on top of his snow"  yes... on top of snow... not anywhere near where he shoveled.... :urcrazy;

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »

He killed peonies and bridal wreath? I would have sat there and cried.  What a heartless person.  I'd be afraid to have him around children and pets!   

I did laundry and made a casserole.  I haven't had a nap today, so I should have gotten more done.    I still have all evening! lol   Who am I kidding?  I am done for the day!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »

I have been away and the house is crying out for attention, the washing needs doing, etc, etc. And here I am checking out IHD instead - and usual, learning something new. I haven't made a list of jobs today - I'm going freelance - that way I can really feel productive, with no pressure. I love reading what people are up to - you are all so clever!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »

Laundry, dishes, scrubbed bathroom top to bottom, made and boxed fudge to take to class tomorrow.  Finally finished computer spreadsheet course homework - which involved a great deal of swearing until I finally broke down and e-mailed the teacher for help.  Her answer to the problem I couldn't get is neither in the book nor something she showed us in class, and wasn't anything I could find on the net either.  Auuugh!  So I accomplished e-mailing the solution to everyone else I knew in class who was also stuck.

Tried and failed, yet again, to lure the stray parakeet to me.  He's flying with a local flock of sparrows.  He belongs to a friend of a friend and has been a free bird for about 6 weeks.  Apparently, Michigan fall weather isn't cold enough for him to decide those wacky humans who keep trying to lure them into their apartments around here have his best interests at heart!  He does love to sit out of reach in a tree and laugh down at us as we talk to him, though.  So I accomplished finding out that keets love millet sprays and added those to my shopping list. . .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »

I campleted another day at work...that sounds easier that it is,  Now I M folding laundry...blech

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »

Let's see..

I slept till 1pm.. not sure what the deal is with this 12 hour sleep, then I'm lucky to get 3 hours the next night.

I got up, made myself something to eat, then got dressed, grabbed my phone, my ipod, and my keys and walked up to the mailbox.  When I got there, I couldn't remember which box was ours, so I just started trying them all.  There's 180 boxes.  I tried 3 or 4 before I realized I was using the house key instead of the mailbox key.  Once I had the right key, I took a guess and got the right one.  Then I walked home.  It's 1.18km round trip (almost 3/4 of a mile for you Merkins. *G*) and it took me 27 minutes, including the time it took to try the mailboxes with the worng key, and the frantic text to my mom asking her which box it was, that I never received a reply to.

When I got home, I took a shower, cuz I felt all sweaty and icky, plus, my hair was dirty. *L*  By the time I was out of the shower, Mom was home from work.  After that, I did nothing except watch tv and have a rather comical conversation with Lil Bro about a particular naked lady statue in the yard of the house next to the warehouse where he was delivering potatoes to today.  He says that it's rather detailed.  I haven't had a close up look at it.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »

I finally took the cover off my laptop to get to the internal battery that keeps  everything from being erased. The d**n thing was nearly impossible to remove with all the connections. Now I have to order the coin size battery because the local Walmart doesn't have it. nowww...I hope I can keep from losing any screws while I am wating for the batteries and I hope that that will solve my problem with my dead computer.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »

Yesterday was a complete waste. All I managed to do was an hour and a half of work, a lot of crying (never mind) and get my son to soccer practice on time. Oh, and Gwyn and I tried on boxes and boxes of clothes so that we could finally return everything that does not work. I decide I need to diet. Seriously.

Today:

7AM: vague memory of Gwyn saying "It's seven o'clock!" my body's response was "Oh, hell no...." 
8AM: Awake, but only just. Picture day for older son. He wears a beautiful houndstooth flannel shirt. Younger son insists on wearing red fleece pants and blue work shirt. Hideous combination, but he's four. No one listens to me when I say it will be well above 70 today.
9AM: Out of shower, wearing a new outfit (thanks, Mother!) Can barely walk. Achilles tendons hurt and I fear this is ultra-serious Levaquin side effect coming to ruin my life. Log onto computer, set up to take notes, manage to hobble downstairs for iced tea and Clif bar, quickly consume both and phone into conference call.
11AM Done with conference call. Weather report on desk top claiming it will reach nearly 80.
11:30AM: Phone Gwyn, arrange to meet for lunch and clothing returns at a local *shudder* shopping centre/fake village. Grab receipts and shorts and T-shirts for both kids.
12PM: Shout my son's name across the play yard until he snaps out of soccer hypnosis and answers me. Take him inside to change into a T-shirt, he refuses to wear the shorts as changing will take precious moments away from game. Drive to other son's school and catch him just before they go out to play. He is covered in spaghetti, so clean clothes are necessity. Not only is he much cooler when I leave, but outfit coordinates perfectly, down to socks.
12:30PM: Gwyn and I meet and the Trader Joes where we had planned to grab lunch is nothing like Trader Joes of California. My choices are chicken, chicken, chicken, turkey, or ham. I give up. We leave and Gwyn and I endure lecture from Gap manager for being five days outside return window. We tell her I was ill (true). I then tell her I expect a little consideration on behalf of my mother, whose account this was, who spends "what must be a billion dollars a month in your shop" (also true). She says nothing. Then to Banana Republic, but in plenty of time so no finger-waggling. I'd ordered a scarf and now insist that someone show me how to tie the damn thing. A sweet sales associate finds a similar one on display and gives me a few ideas. Then to Gymboree where we return rugby shirt that got a hole in it after a single wash.
2PM Finally escape spooky suburban alterna-universe and go home. Grab vegetarian food. Compose a few emails. PTA president asks me if I have written newsletter piece yet. I refuse to admit the truth, so must drop everything and write it. Email draft to her.
5PM Grab drinks for literacy event that evening. Grab PTA checks and drop them at officer's house, pick up other checks to deposit from her.
5:30PM Collect children and drive to son's school for literacy event. Parents are told they can leave children in the gym for a magic show (yes!!!) and go speak to other adults about the literacy curriculum. Gwyn and I report to classroom and discuss bilingual strategies with other grade 3-5 parents. At the very end I blurt out that I wish grade 3 would assign Spanish reading and writing homework. Explain that my son finishes his homework in 30 seconds flat, and then chooses his own reading, always in English. Fifth grade teacher suggests that she would love to offer me materials, internet sites, etc. She wants my son to attend part of class. I know this will terrify him but enthusiastically accept. Go downstairs and see last bit of magic show - he is levitating a student. My four year old sits in the front, mesmerised. He runs up to me after and tells me "Mom, he made a girl levitate!" I reply "How do you know the word 'levitate'" and he replies with perfect definition of the term.
6:30PM: Dinner for everyone at the school with our own drinks. We sit with older son's previous teacher and then win a bilingual book in the raffle. Fifth grade teacher grabs my older son on the way out the door and tells him in Spanish that she is going to bring him to her class tomorrow. I am so delighted. My son not so much. 
7:30 PM Four-year-old reads book on the way home, then projectile vomits in my car just as I am turning onto our street. He is really scared and crying and says "I'll never get unsick!"
7:30PM Help my son take a shower while Gwyn oxycleans the car. Read my baby three books and this cheers him up.
8:30 PM Kids are off to bed. Look through important announcements from older son's school. They are going to have a basketball team forming and I sign my son up immediately. Also, there is an entirely free family weekend camp in November with heated cabins and all food included. We sign up for this as well. I am not a rough-it gal, so I'm already nervous.
10:45PM Desperately need to clean but probably will try to get to bed early. Supposed to be another warm, gorgeous day tomorrow. Hurrah!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »

Dropped from vicarious exhaustion after reading about cariad's day.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »

Me too, good grief Cariad. Slow down a bit would you?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pam

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 02:59:18 AM »

The only thing I did yesterday was to bring in the rest of the house plants from the deck and clean out the fridge. Today I plan on cleaning out the rest of the garden. Have collard greens and buttercup squash that needs to be picked. The zucchini is still going strong and I can't even give it away on freecycle :banghead;. Guess it will go to the chickens. 
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 05:48:59 AM »

Took frozen left over home made pea and ham soup over to mother in law, who is sick.  She finished the radiation therapy, and then couldn't keep anything down, and puked her way to a dehydration induced dose of acute renal failure (GAH!).  Yesterday half the family squeezed into her doctor's appointment with the cancer clinic to work out what is going on.  After hours of wrangling (doctors had one agenda, family had another) we were finally told that the radiation was a relative success, but she still pukes most everything she eats or drinks because of some kind of surgery induced bowel obstruction.  So she is to eat and drink very very small amounts, 6 meals a day, and walk about the place a bit, to get the adhesions to go away.  Hence we turned up tonight with frozen left over pea and ham soup, and a tiny bowl to serve it in (a teacup for chinese tea.  Found her looking MUCH better.  Dressed, teeth in.  Talking.  Amazing.  We knew she was recovering when she began bossing everyone around.  Much relieved.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »

oh Cariad.. I think I'd be dead by noon with a day like that..

My day was much, much simpler..

Even though I dialyized yesterday, and was tiired and went to bed when the Colbert Report was over, I didn't sleep a wink till about 6am.  Kitty woke me at 7:30am, wanting to go out, but we were in the middle of a torrential downpour and refused to go.  I went back to bed.  When my alarm went off at 9:30am, it was still raining, so I figured I wasn't going for my walk today, so rolled over and went back to sleep.  Woke up at 1:30pm to the sun streaming through my bedroom window.  I got up, had a piece of leftover pizza (which I think is what kept me awake last night) and a cup of coffee.  I went for my walk.  About 10 minutes after I got home, my Bro showed up, handed me a wad of cash, and asked if he could use my credit card to book and pay for a hotel room for him, the gf and kids next weekend.  They're going to a wrestling thingie to meet Bret Hart.  I gladly took the cash and handed him the card.  Mom came home.  She took her nap while I watched last night's Coronation Street, then she made a light supper for us (I think the pizza might have kept her awake last night too).  Then, we went into town, the car got blown around by the wind.  I put the wad of cash from my Bro in the bank before he could ask for it back, and we stopped at Tim Horton's to get my Iced Capp.  We were home at about 8:45pm.  Now my butt is planted and I'm watching my news shows, both real and fake, and will go to bed when they're over.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 06:25:40 PM »

I had not read any of this thread until today. I thought at first sight that it would be boringly mundane, but it’s not. It’s fascinating. Opens a window onto IHD member’s lives. So I guess I ought to make my contribution.

Out of bed when the newspapers arrived (it’s dropped in my porch here in the UK, not thrown around the garden!). Then a quick shower and read both newspapers whilst eating my breakfast of porridge and then taking my medicines.

I’ve decided to fix an extra power socket in my workshop but the conduit to it is nearly full and won’t take the pair of wires. So do I bodge it or do it properly? I decide to get conduit from the local DIY store together with a die and diestock for it. Drive over and the only conduit they have is plastic. I need galvanised steel.
Next I drive to the GP’s to pick up a script and get a second Hepatitis B vaccine injection. The nurse also takes a routing BP check and gives me this year’s flu injection, saving me another two visits. Then I drive back home for a business lunch meeting.

I get taken to a nice restaurant on the water front, spend a full two hours in discussions. The bill comes to £90 ($140) which my colleague pays.  :2thumbsup;

Back home to recover with 40 winks. I work out a method of fixing the new socket in my workshop properly without a bodge. My wife arrives home from work so I get her a G&T.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

I started the washing but then became distracted by the computer. I was after some PD info and as usual IHD had the answers. Since then I've been reading lots of stuff on this site. I was interupted by a video call from my daughter and grandie. My side of the video is a bit poor but such a delight to share same time cyber space with them. Am now counting my blessings and top of the list is my wonderful family!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 73 Go Up Print 
« previous next »