I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  6 months from Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 months from Dialysis  (Read 2488 times)
JustDee

« on: September 25, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »

HI, My name is Dee, JustDee, and I'm an Old Hippie living in the foothill of the Sierra's. 
I found out in April that I'll probably be going on dialysis by April 2011.  I have known for 10 years that my kidneys were going south but when the Doctor actually said it I was in Shock for awhile.  Funny how we take day to day stuff so much for granted.  I have been reading a lot about PD, which I think is the procedure the Doc recommends for me, and I'm thinking of it more like a "bump in the road" rather then a "detour" in life.  What worries me is the PAIN,  I don't do PAIN well. 
Life is so amazing I don't want to miss out on any of it. I'm not sure yet if I'll be doing PD with a machine or letting gravity handle it.  I hope to still be able to work (not that I love workin' but I gotta be productive don'tcha know) and I want to be able to go on lovin' and spending time with friends and kinfolks, riding those roller coasters with my grandkids and swimming in our little pool outback. 
That's it about me.  I'm glad to have found this place.  Somewhere to vent, to get information and know we're none of us alone in this.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »

:welcomesign;

PD is awesome, it didnt work out for me, but it is waaay better than hemo, if ya ask me.
Id say there isnt MUCH pain with PD, if it goes well, and all.
THis place is awesome! WELCOME

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »

welcome to IHD justdee, so glad you could join us, this is a great place for venting and support
can wait to hear more from an old hippie.... take care

Ro and Alene

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »

Hi Dee, and welcome to IHD.  Yeah, I think PD would be best for you.  You are in control and away from hospitals.  You have to be very clean with PD.  No cats in the room etc.  There are also no needles with PD.  Try that first and if it doesn't pan out then you have other options.

Best of luck and I hope you post often.

Rerun, Moderator   :welcomesign;

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »

Welcome to our community, Dee!  You must be in my age group since I was a teen and young adult in the hippie days!   I am glad you found us before you started dialysis.  We even have a new section especially for those who are pre-dialysis.  Check it out.   
You seem to  understand right way what this site is about.
  I'm glad to have found this place.  Somewhere to vent, to get information and know we're none of us alone in this.
In fact it is more than a site.  It is a genuine family :grouphug;  (and I can prove it to you if you doubt me.
Just keep reading and keep posting so that we will know how you are doing.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »

Welcome Dee and keep your courage up. I'm 2 months further on than you, PD was not for me so I've had a fistula installed and am now in training for home HD. But I still remember my deep misgivings when my Nephrologist told me my kidneys had reached the end of the line. I really wondered whether it was worthwhile proceeding. But, mate, I felt so crook I also felt that almost anything had to be an improvement on the way I felt. Everyone said I'd feel better on dialysis but I had my doubts, just like you.
Well, they were right..and I was wrong. I feel so much better in my head and in my body that I look back and think..."i wish I'd bit the bullet sooner". I know that might be hard for you to believe, but that is my true experience.
Bruno 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »