I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Caravan holiday and APD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Caravan holiday and APD  (Read 3237 times)
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« on: September 24, 2010, 05:31:47 AM »

My hubby and I have just had almost 5 weeks away travelling in our tiny caravan. We have had the best time! I was hesitant and anxious because of all the gear, and the lack of space, but hubby is a gifted 'packer' and everything fitted in well. Polly (the Baxter overnight cycler) behaved so well and the whole thing was much easier than we imagined. Baxter delivered supplies to our half way point which saved us carting so many boxes of fluid. This was a holiday I thought dialysis would prevent us from taking while in fact I enjoyed it so much more as I feel so much better.
 :bandance; I did miss checking in on this site though and know I have heaps of catching up to do.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

I am glad you were able to take a well earned vacation.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »

How wonderful is that!!!!!!  I'd love to hear more too if ya get the notion :-)    Im looking forward to doing something like that too soon, even for just a 3 day stent .. WE're going to try for the home D with nxStage so hope we'll be just as happy as you with our choice.. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »

As I said, our caravan is small - I think only 10 or 12ft long. When we started out initially, 'Polly' (the Baxter machine) and attachments were on the floor of the van, as well as my porta-potty (as I still pee lots at night!). After a few days the space under our bed opened up and after set up, we pushed Polly under the bed to give us more room. I liked the fact that I could move around the whole area of the caravan and make myself a snack and a cup of tea if I couldn't sleep - not possible when attached at home in our bedroom. We ran Polly through a surge protection device to be safe as some of the places we stayed were on generator power. Hubby would dispose of all the fluids in the morning. I was extra careful with the handwashing etc and made sure the windows and door were shut during start and finish, as well as shutting off the heater and fan. It was a whole lot easier than we expected.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »