I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  HOW DO YOU FEEL . . after Dialysis?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: HOW DO YOU FEEL . . after Dialysis?  (Read 33021 times)
Hazmat35

« on: September 22, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »

I have heard so many different variations and reasons, it drives me crazy. 

But, after Dialysis, how do you feel?  Do you feel lousy, or do you go to work like nothing has happened?  What's your story? 

Once I get done w/ my 4 hours, I drive home, and it is all I can do to get undressed and basically "collapse" into bed.  I can't sleep, I'm sick to my stomach, I can't sit still, all anxious like!  I tried once, to do dialysis in the A.M. and then go to work, what a nightmare that was! 

So, how do you feel aftwards . . . ? :waiting;

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »

When I was on days I would go home and sleep for 3 hours and then feel weak with no enthuasium to do anything until the next day.

On Nocturnal I come home at 4:30am and sleep until 7:30am and get up feeling fine.  I still don't think I could work full time.  I'm on a work disability.

Hazmat35

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »

glad to hear you are feeling better, ReRun.  I still work about 50 hours a week.  It's pretty rough, but I have to do, what I have to do. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
Dianejt

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »

Frank was also very anxious so I would give him a Lorazepam 1 mg right after getting off D. By the time we would get home (1 hour drive) he was able to lay down & sleep. Before that he was up & down for 3-4 hours not able to get comfortable. Ask your Doctor for a script.

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »

I'm glad you asked, because I am wondering how other people feel too.  I do 3.5 hours 3 times a week, after work.  I have a 45 minute drive home and then I collapse and just about can't move till morning.  I do have to take a tylenol pm to help me sleep.  Seems like my body is so sore and achy.  Like my body is craving sleep, but my mind won't calm down.  I  only take one tylenol pm and it helps a lot.  When I first started D in May of this year, I felt pretty good afterwards (the next day).  Now, I feel very weak and have been  missing work because I can't seem to find the energy to stand up.  I'm ok sitting, but as soon as I stand up to get ready for work, I practically fall to my chair.  I sometimes wonder if it is dehydration?  I don't cramp or have headaches, but I sometimes feel like my body doesn't like to be this dry.   :waiting;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »

same story here...
I go to dialysis, come home (30min drive... i dont drive though, too afraid id get sick, have a bleed etc)
When I get home im weak, tired in my body, my mind is racing, i have insomnia usually, i feel nauseated. i cant stand it, and id say 2/3 i get a really really bad headache that nothing works to get rid of. and an all over tingle in my body. Also, i eat alot after dialysis.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »

This is the thing that worries me most about starting dialysis; this is what I wish my husband could understand.  He seems to think that dialysis is going to make me feel just fine.  I've told him that I could put up with the needles and I could put up with being confined to a chair for so many hours in a day, but if after all of that I am just going to feel like crap, then what's the point?  Sure, you're alive, but if you are too exhausted and ill to live your life, again, what's the point?  If I knew that dialysis would make me feel GOOD, then I'd do it with a much happier heart and with much less resentment.

Is there a single person here on IHD who feels marvelous after D?  I really want to know.  I very much doubt it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Is there a single person here on IHD who feels marvelous after D?  I really want to know.  I very much doubt it.
I can't claim that Blokey feels marvellous (I'm not in his head, and he doesn't tell me lots of things), but I don't think he really feels bad.  I tend to know if he's feeling lousy because he does that whole Man Thing (sorry guys!) where the Littlest Thing becomes a Big Thing.  He's usually incredibly tired, but then he works full time and goes to haemoD straight after work three times a week - and then has a thirty mile drive home - so I put the tiredness down to that.  On the occasions that he does haemoD in the mornings he's usually pretty jolly and happy for the rest of the day. He hasn't been sick, or claimed of feeling sick, once since starting haemoD (although it was a very regular occurance prior to beginning).

Like I said though, I'm not in his head/body.  Maybe he's just very lucky (which is good, because he couldn't take to the PD - he'd probably be a mental wreck if the haemoD gave him the same symptoms as those who've posted above.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »

I'm usually okay until about an hour/hour-and-a-half after I get off the machine.  Then I run SMACK into "The Wall", liquify and slide down The Wall into a puddle on the bed. Sheer exhaustion and weakness, sometimes with a headache to boot. If the tech has taken it upon herself to remove fluids instead of maintaining/adding fluid (and I somehow don't notice) the effect is noticably worse.

I dialyze in-center (for now) three times a week for four hours each; I'm hoping when I switch to home nocturnal the long, slow runs will not be so harsh and I won't have the backlash I get with my current treatments.

MooseMom, I share your concerns about caregiver expectations. My dearly beloved made a comment the other day about me exercising some "discipline" and getting up in the mornings for some exercise. AND he said it on a treatment night. Boy, did he get the stink eye for that one! He keeps asking me if I'm feeling any better and I can't give him an affirmative answer. It's so hard when you don't LOOK sick.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Well, I'd like to say that it just recently got weird for me.  I DO work full time and I DO have a 45 minute drive homje after D.  So, relatively speaking, I do feel good.  I have TONS more energy than before I went on D.  And honestly, I can't believe how much fluid I was really carrying ariound with me.  I had no idea!  So, I hope that when it is your time to start, that you give it a shot.  See how  YOU feel.  Everyone feels different.  And you never know, you might be one of the ones that feels GREAT after!!  :) :cuddle;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
albiecl

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »

I do a twilight session for my Haemo 3 x week, 4 hrs per session. Prior to going to Dialysis I have usually been at work all day although I WFH on a Friday. When I do my usual twilight shift I feel fine after Dialysis, I drive myself home (15 mins) and then stay up talking to my husband who I wouldn't have seen all day for 30 mins or so.  I often don't feel ready for bed even though I'm tired but its pretty late so I make myself go to sleep. 

However I have noticed that if I do a morning or afternoon session I often develop a headache that only goes away with sleep.  I holidayed in Crete this year and did 3 morning sessions.  After the final session I had an awful headache, felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open. I took paracetamol which did help but I ended up getting in bed and just spending the evening there napping.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »

I think you know how i feel! Yet some people on the unit feel ok. To those of you that work , i raise my hat , how the hell do you do it ?  :clap;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »

I usually feel incredibly drained afterward,  I don't feel all that horrible but I definitely don't feel great either, sometimes I just end up falling asleep because I don't do much anyway, especially since I don't work. Usually I've gotten my cramping under control before I leave but sometimes they like to show back up.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »

Hubby has always said that he feels no different when he goes to dialysis than when he leaves.  I guess he is one of the lucky ones. he does nocturnal home hemo now but for 6 years did in center and 98% of the time felt really well after.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »

I usually feel a bit week and sometimes a headache but generally ok.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Restorer

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 06:01:22 PM »

I feel "vibratey"/tingly for hours afterward (as here). I also feel... what's the right word? Bleh, maybe.  ??? It's a "taste" or feeling in my throat and mouth, but different from the toxic ammonia-like feeling when I haven't had enough dialysis. It makes me want to drink more to fix it.

In any case, my blood pressure is also low enough that I feel like I can't do anything. Last week, I had to go out to buy a new keyboard right after dialysis. I felt terrible walking around - I just didn't have the energy. After I got home, I just collapsed and rested for a while.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »

Everyone is different. I usually need a "cat nap" after D, but if I have something on - like a dinner appointment or something - i can usually get through OK. I work before I go to D... if I did D and had to go to work after - not sure if that would work too well - but I finish and get home, feed the cat and take it easy. Next day I am fine :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

im guessing my hubby is one of the "rare" ones from what im reading.  We come home (5 min drive), get some lunch and away he goes, mowing, moping, doing laundry or what ever he can to busy himself..I often pack us a lunch and heaad to the docks and we walk, fish, people watch or what ever.  He feels really good most of the time.  He has a cold right now and is healing soooooo much better than pre dialysis.  Im the one tired after dialysis..lol as i run around trying to get stuff done so he can have fun after, and then *I* want a nap, and he wants to play.. lol   

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

I guess I'm one of the weird ones. I generally feel fine afterwards.

Galvo
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 02:55:08 AM »

Hi Everybody
I must be one of the lucky ones...HD has been good for me. I am doing 20 hours per week by way of 4 sessions each of 5 hours. Usually I feel great afterwards unless I go flat during the session ie your blood pressure gets too low. I certainly feel better on dialysis than before.
I've been told that more D hours help for what it's worth. There are people at our centre trialling 24 hours weekly.
Bruno
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:22:35 AM »

Since I start D at 6am I usually don't eat until I come home. I have lunch and then take nap. I feel so tired when I wake that sometimes I can't go out to do my chores. I tried doing them right after D but it didn't work out. During the summer months it can be so dreadful when it is very hot outside I just want to stay in my A.C room.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
GoingThere

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57:41 AM »

I feel fine and I can immediately start my sport activities. Yesterday I wen into the mountains right after D session.

GT

1995 - kidney biopsy - IgA
2002 - BP 220/140 - hospitilized
2004 - stage 3 of kidney failure
2005 - stagae 4of kidney failure
2009 - on the edge of stage 5
july 2010 - stage 5
14 july 2010 - catheter inserted and first D session
15 july 2010 - AV fistula created
dec. 2012 - tx with major rejection (plasmapheresis, atg, prednisone pulses)
apr 2013 - kidney function stable
pklipe57

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »

I do dialysis after work.  I drive myself home after my three and one half hour treatment.  I have something to eat and go straight to bed which is about 10:00 p.m.  I can't sleep.  I go from the bed to the couch and the couch to the bed...etc.  Finally I go to sleep after 1:00 p.m. and will stay in bed until 8:00 or so.  I never sleep over three hours in a row. 
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »

I'm ok after until I stop.  As long as I keep moving, I do ok.  Last night, for example.  I had plans to go to see Hairspray (George Wendt was playing Edna Turnblad. it was awesome), and I knew that if I was late getting off, I'd be late for the show.  I was offered an earlier time by the nurses.  I was off around 4pm, instead of my regular 6:30pm, and I went out to dinner with my mom and 2 ladies she works with and we went to the show.  I had to stand up at intermission cuz my butt had gone to sleep, but I really didn't start getting tired until after that first hour of sitting.  By the time we got home, I was ready for bed, but it was more of a body tired.  The brain was still wide awake.  If we had gone out shopping or walking, I probably would have still had the energy.  It's always when I stop that I get tired.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
hexoffender

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »

I generally feel pretty good. If I get a bit too dry, I get a dehydration headache. So i try to drink some water afterwards. I start at 6am and then drive to work. Sometimes I stop at the deli close to the center and pick up lunch. On days that I dialyze, I work late, so I dont leave the office till 6 or 7 pm on Tue/Thu.  Then I go to the gym and do my regular workout.  By the time I get home around 9:30ish I usually will be tired enough to fall asleep, but sometimes i take a couple melatonin's to relax me and sleep. Exercise is great for taking the edge off on dialysis days, just stay hydrated.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »