I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Im getting desperate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Im getting desperate  (Read 3479 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »

Well i went for dialysis yesterday and had my morphine, the results good and bad ! I took it at the start (oral) and it was only a small dose but i got to 3 hours ok, then my usual problem , the pain in my head kicked in . Im totally at a loss as what to do now , not because of the morphine but my actual dialysis.
I will try and explain what exactly happens and hope possibly someone on here can help me find a solution?  :pray;
Firstly im not going in overloaded its very rare i have to take off over 1.8 (not including drinks and washback)
I HAVE tried every program on the machine , all 3 profiles and the loop, none of them giving good results , or a better outcome.
I go on the machine now, i dont set a profile or the loop , i set my BVM (do you call it the crit line?) to 89.
In the first hour i can drop straight down to 87, so i stop the machine pulling fluid off and wait for my BVM  to rise again , then as soon as it gets to around 95 , i start pulling off again and this is how most of my session goes, till i get to the last 2 hours.
Now we have the BVM in figures and as a graph , the lower the figure , the less fluid. With the graph , there is a straight red line , anything above=fluid , anything below=dry.
For the last 2 hours of my treatment the graph was well below the red line , so i stopped the fluid being pulled off and waited to refill, it never happened , in 2 hours it didnt move.
Ok so i know what you are going to say ..you are DRY , it must not be there, and i agree with you , all my symptoms , the head pain , cramp in my ribs point to being dry.
So my question is .....at 10 o clock last night i felt totally overloaded , im really breathless , my legs are fine (for fluid) but my stomach is totally ballooned up and very tight . I have had to sit up all night again because i couldnt breathe if i lay down. No i havent come home and had loads to drink, Im am monitoring my fluid beyond belief (the other day i managed on just 400 mls) and most days limit to 800mls . My  allowance is 1500. So what the hell is going on ? I cant carry on like this , no sleep , cant do anything .
They are going to double my morphine tomorrow  and im confident that will sort out the pain but why am i like this after a dialysis session ? No one at the clinic seems that interested , more cover the pain and do 4 hours and yes i did do the 4 hours yesterday .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »

i have some trouble with this, headaches really bad about the last hour, lasting way into the night, sometimes the next day. they say is normal.....
Also when i swell i only swell in my belly, rarely in my feet or legs.
And here lately i have had a ton of trouble sleeping due to breathing issues, and they just put my on oxygen while im there, dont do anything else about it.....
I wish i knew what was up too!
Its disappointing that they wont really give a damn enough to figure it out.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
silverhead

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »

Sharon went from several years of swollen ankles that the Neph was always harping on, but she was fine test wise , then about a year ago the ankles went to "normal" but she developed "the belly" (it was not fat), to us the fluid definitely shifted, but the Neph was happy and nobody seemed to really be concerned.
About the Morphine, maybe try a dose at the beginning, and another at 2 hours to see what happens, seems like doubling the dose at the beginning might not leave enough of it active in the last hour.......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »

So it is happening to other people then?  Any solutions?  How can i continue to function with little or no sleep ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

This sounds truly, truly dreadful.  This might be a stupid question, but do you think your belly bloat might be pushing on your diaphram, making it hard to breathe?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »

Unfortunately lack of sleep can cause alot of physical and mental problems. Have u tried anything for sleep? like Tylenol PM? I am thinking about trying it. I get about 1-3 hrs a night IF im lucky.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:14 AM »

I can only make two suggestions and these are based on my own experiences which are similar to yours. Please do not adopt my solutions without further expert advice because what worked for me may not work for you.
Firstly, I upped my fluid intake. I had become dehydrated from drinking too little fluid between sessions.
Secondly, when you get to 1 kg or more to take off in a session you a getting close to a target that can vary considerably day to day. By that I mean that 1.5 kg may be a real problem one day (far too much) and a breeze the next. My solution? Always undershoot your goal if it is under 2kg.
The second point often translates to a fluid loss per hour of 350ml or less. I've often used 250.
I'm very prone to low BP under dialysis so I've learned to watch my goal and fluid loss per hour like a hawk.
As for lack of sleep some nights I'd love some advice as well.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:28:09 AM »

Bruno you make a good point. Some people and some accesses(eg: fistulas) can only handle a certain UFR (UF rate - or how fast fluid is being taken off). If I ever need a UFR of > 500 (ie: a total of 2.5kg over 5 hours) then I use a UF profile, which is a way of managing the fluid removal. For example I use a profile (number 6) that starts off taking MORE, then steps down, with "breaks" every half an hour where the UFR goes to 100 for 30 mins - which allows the body compartments to refill. However everyone's different.

Like you, I usually keep my treatment fluid change to under 2kg. That way I have no sweat taking that off (plus the 0.5 for the washback and cup of tea).

Fluid management can be one of the most difficult things about dialysis.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »

I don't know enough about the different settings as I am still a newbie.  But, I do take Tylenol PM every D night.  I have D on Mon, Wed, Fri from 3:40-7:20 or so and I am so achey and weak, that I have to take something or I can't sleep, due to pain.  It does work for me.  Sometimes, I just take two extra strength tyenol for pain, but the PM part helps with sleep.  I started off by taking just one.  That was enough.

Good Luck!!

:cuddle;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
vcarmody

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »

My husband used to get horrible headaches when in center, his doctor suggested they turned off the sodium on his machine and this did help... don't know if this will help anyone else.  Sense we started Nxstage he no longer suffers from headaches, cramping or that tired achy feeling after his treatment.  He feels so much better now  :yahoo; 

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
Restorer

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »

Have you been checked for fluid hiding anywhere else? I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you have fluid building up somewhere in your body - between membranes or in body cavities - and something's keeping it there.

There must be other things that can contribute to feeling "overloaded," but I have no idea what they might be. Sometimes I feel some of the same symptoms and pains that I would if I were overloaded, but my weight is hardly a kilogram over my dry weight.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »

might be time to run a BVM or one of those funky scales that measures total body fluid percentage to see if you're too wet or not.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »

You might ask the doc about it but the belly bloat might be from the morphine.  Opiate type drugs can slow down the digestive tract. 
hexoffender

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

Yeah Opiates alway constipate me. But as for sleep, try Melatonin. It's all natural and doesnt have any side affects, and doesnt knock you out, just helps to calm your body.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »

Thanks for all the feed-back , but ..been there /done it/ got the t-shirt.
RM ..run the BVM  every session !
Bigsky ..bloated stomach for weeks , morphine first time on thursday ..so not that !

Sleeping problems ..been on sleeping tablets for about 2 years ..yes addicitive , yes dependant on them, but on normal nights its those or dont sleep.

Thanks for your suggestions though !  :2thumbsup;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »