I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 12:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Knee Replacement planned for Nov. 9th.....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knee Replacement planned for Nov. 9th.....  (Read 7142 times)
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« on: September 15, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »

Oh Hell, oooops sorry, I mean Hello....

It's confirmed!.... My knee is beyond repair!!!... I asked the Orthopedic Surgeon (who has treated me for years, and I love him dearly!) 'Hugh, is it possible to repair, rather than replace???'.... He replied in his usual fashion... 'To repair that knee, or what's left of it, would take a combination or a miracle worker, and a magician... Sadly, I'm neither!'.....

Oh well... No harm in being cheeky enough to ask!!!!!!.....

So the plan is for me to be admitted to hospital on Tuesday morning Nov 9th... If he can get a slot, Hugh will operate on me that day... If not, on the 10th... I'm not looking forward to it, but it has to be done!...

At least my mum has agreed to go into a nursing home while I'm in hospital... That's one less worry!.... 'Dougal' the dog is going into Garda (Irish Police) Custody... Sarah, his favourite blonde garda is taking him... He'll have two labbies to annoy.....

Love to all....

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »

Darth you are so lucky, Alan is in agony with his and has been told he will practically have to be crawling before they touched it, because of his kidneys and his heart. I wish you luck with your op, no more pain., that will be wonderful.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:11:53 AM »

Oooh, the very thought of knee operations makes me feel quite ill!  Still, if it means less pain and a brand new knee, then all's good!  Hopefully the time will fly by for you!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »

Oh Hell, oooops sorry, I mean Hello....

now, now, we know you all too well....you ment exactly what you said and i don't blame you. you've been dealing with this for a while and it's easy to put out of mind what the eventual outcome could be. no one likes scheduling surgery. it's not much fun thinking about the upcoming event. but at least something has finally been decided.  :grouphug;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »

My aunt had a knee replaced when she was in her early 80's.  She had a nurse come around and was able to rehab at home.  She was very diligent and did everything the nurse told her to do, ie exercise and walk.  She is now 86 and has waaaay more energy than I do.  Good luck to you!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

Looks like you have everything worked out for while you have the surgery.  One less thing for you to worry about!!  Take care and good luck!! :cuddle;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »

Good luck, Darth.

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:07 AM »

Well, its about danged time you are getting that knee fixed. Do the wisdom teeth come next? Darthie, you will be a bionic woman when they get done with you. Congrats, and I hope all goes well for you.   :cuddle;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

Mom has had both knees replaced and her left hip. Her right knee took a lot longer to heal because it was more damaged by the time they did the surgery than the other knee was. She also had PT at home and whenever we were over had her do some more. I told her the other day to keep it up so it would remain flexible.

Good luck!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »

Thanks for your support everyone... Getting used to the idea, now... Don't like it much, but getting used to it!!!!...

Well, from what I can gather, the plan is to admit me to the hosp. on Nov. 9th, and operate on the morning of the 10th....

I've to have a Pre-Op assessment over the next few weeks... There are concerns about my heart (leaky valves as a result of my EDS).... Although, I deny having a heart.... I still swear that I have a swinging brick in there!!!!!....

The joys of it all.....

Love....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »

Oh Darth, We know you have a heart!!   You let it be seen over and over again around here.   I hate you are having surgery, but I love that you are getting your knee fixed.  And am glad that Mum agreed to the nursing home.  She will be well taken care of and you will be less stressed.   You trust your doctor, you are a fighter and you will get through this with a new knee.  And we will be right here sending good thoughts, love, and prayers to you.   We love you and want you to feel better.     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »

Thanks Paris....

Yes, I've very glad to be getting this attended to.... Not able to care for Mum as well as I'd like as I am... Noticing how hard it is to stand for long enough to shower her!...

Surgeon is the nicest, most down to earth guy you could ever meet... Very gentle, funny, and just an all round 'good egg'..... I'm very lucky....

Erm Paris... I DO NOT have a heart!!!!... I very highly value my hard-earned reputation as a totally heartless dragon, and you're putting it in jeopardy!!!....

Love to all...

Darth....

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:21:43 PM »

Caro, will Mum stay in the nursing home when you get home form the hospital for a little while? You are going to have enough to do and doubtful you will be able than to do more than just take care of yourself. Or does the Carer's Scoiety take care of that for you? I hope so.

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 04:08:26 AM »

Hi Jean....

The plan is for the Carers Asso. to provide some home care when I get home!.... To be honest, I'd rather have Mum at home if possible... Don't like her being exposed to infections if I can avoid it....

That's the plan anyway!.....

Love to all.....

Darth....

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »

I so hope this works out well for you. I will say a prayer or two. Oh, no, not for you, for the nurses who have to wait on you hand and foot. Bless their little hearts, putting up with you.  :angel;

Now you know I am kidding, of course, I will pray for you too.

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »

Hee Hee!!!!!....

Well Jean, I'll be telling the nurses to look on the bright side... t could be SO much worse..... I could be a twin!!!!.... >:D

Love to all....

Darth...

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »

Darth, I haven't been on for a while...sorry to hear you are going to be in hospital but glad to hear you are getting that danged old knee replaced.  You know I will be wishing for nothing but the best for you my friend. 

And (like Paris) I KNOW you have a heart, leaky though it may be....

hugs to you.

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Mizar

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

I'm Glad You are getting this taken Care of and I'm Glad, Your Mum, is willing to be taken care of by others, for a short while. Best of Luck, in Your Surgery and Recovery.
We are Family, here. If You need anything, give Me a Ring. I am just a quick, 4000 Miles Away.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

Sory to hear, but it is also good that something can be done. I have a couple more years before my orthopaedic surgeon will do a knee replacement because I'm to young he says on top of my medical history.

Hopefully your not in to much pain right now though Darth.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 07:02:13 PM »

I'm Glad You are getting this taken Care of and I'm Glad, Your Mum, is willing to be taken care of by others, for a short while. Best of Luck, in Your Surgery and Recovery.
We are Family, here. If You need anything, give Me a Ring. I am just a quick, 4000 Miles Away.

Great Mizar..... You should get here in a couple of ticks, then???... You'll be at the top of my call list!!!... :rofl;

I's now 3am, and I'm awake due to pain..... On the plus side, I console myself with the knowledge that this blasted knee's days are seriously numbered!!!!... Fifteen days and counting till it meets it's doom!!!... And I shan't be having a memorial service for it!.... :rofl;

Thanks to everybody for the support...

Love to all....

Darth....

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:03:27 PM by Darthvadar » Logged

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 07:22:40 PM »

What, no knees up?

Galvo
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »

What, no knees up?

Ha Ha!!!!!.... BRILLIANT, Galvo!!!!!!!....

Well, as I've got my Dublin Carer of the Year 'do' on Friday, the knee might have a twitch or two!!!... I'm seriously tempted to give the knee to Dougal!... Bet he'd turn his furry little nose up at it though... He has decerning tastes!!!!....

Love...

Darth..

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 04:18:02 AM »

Hi Darth, saw your upcoming date for your knee.  Here's some good luck activities, like  :cuddle; and  :beer1; and maybe even  :boxing; as in, go gettem.

Gregory had his knee surgery in July/August, and for awhile there we were wondering if it was worth it because the healing was sooo slooow and he seemed worse not better.  But then just the other day we noticed... hey!  the knee is alright these days!  He's come good!  touch wood!!!!

Here's to it for you too:  fast forward through the  :P healing part and on to the part where you traipse through daisies again.
 :flower;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »

Thanks Nat.....

That's very reassuring!.... Glad it's worked out for Gregory...

I'm lucky in that I'm a wheelchair user.... Don't need as good a performance from the prostesis as the walkers do!!!...

Thanks again for the good wishes...

Darth...

aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »

One of my greatest fears is of needing medical attention myself and how would I then care for my brother.

Darth, I am glad you have been able to work this out. Best of luck with your surgery and I hope your recovery is rapid and relatively pain free.

:cuddle; for you
 :cuddle; for mom
  :cuddle; and a :cookie; for Dougal

I'll be thinking of you all.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »