I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  not urinating
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: not urinating  (Read 7232 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:03 AM »

So my husband is still in the hosp and has not urinated since Friday. Still pulling fluid off 6 lbs. Monday, 9 lbs. yestserday.. I know the renal diet is going to be more important than ever, but is there anything else I should should along with this? Or is everything going to based strictly on the diet from now on? He was peeeing up until now. Thanks.

EDITED: Moved to Proper Section - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 04:35:51 PM by Sluff » Logged

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »

Some (a majority?) of people do stop peeing when they're on dialysis(specially hemo) and that makes the fluid (and sodium) restrictions even more important to follow - since he's not putting anything out everything he takes in is staying there (except when it's removed by dialysis - and sounds like they're taking a LOT out of him). Is he limiting at ALL what he is drinking? Are they limiting what he gets?

It may be his latest setback crippled his remaining kidney function to the point that he's just not urinating. Sorry :(

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:04 AM »

I would certainly assume he is on a fluid restriction diet in there. His lunch yesterday was 1 drink, chicken salad, a roll & peaches. Not sounding too nosy I hope, but are you still able to urinate? And if so, it it the same amount as "normal" realizing it's just water though? Thanks wonderbra lol xoxo

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »

oh honey you can always be nosy with me. We have no secrets !  :rofl;

Yes I am one of the lucky ones. I still pass a bit. Maybe 100-200ml a day, so not nearly close to "normal" (wouldn't even fill an A cup of that wonderbra!!!) but way better than nothing that's for sure.

Maybe TMI but I was in the little boys room at work the other day and this guy came in doing his thing at the urinal, and I can hear it (no ladies, contrary to popular belief, boys do not look at other boys doing their thing!!!  :rofl;) anyway I can hear it coming out like a waterfall gushing and gushing for what seemed like ages. It *sounded* like he put out a litre or more! I suddenly felt so.... well... inadequate!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

So can't wait for the day when I'm there for ages because it won't stop coming out.

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »

Blokey hasn't pee'd since last September (three months after beginning dialysis).  He is exceptionally good about his fluid intake and apart from nagging him occasionally I can generally leave him be with regards fluid and diet because he's quite sensible.

I do know that whenever he goes into hospital he's treated no differently to the other patients when it comes to fluid.  He still gets offered the regular tea, plus drinks with meals (which may or may not be liquid-y depending on what it is), plus the big jug of water which comes twice a day.  I suppose they trust those on restrictions to know their limit and not get silly.

Maybe TMI but I was in the little boys room at work the other day and this guy came in doing his thing at the urinal, and I can hear it (no ladies, contrary to popular belief, boys do not look at other boys doing their thing!!!  :rofl;) anyway I can hear it coming out like a waterfall gushing and gushing for what seemed like ages. It *sounded* like he put out a litre or more! I suddenly felt so.... well... inadequate!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
At home (when it's just myself and Blokey) I tend to leave the door open when I pee and sometimes (if it's gushing noisily out) I feel quite guilty because I imagine Blokey can hear and gets jealous.  I always think I should shut the door, and then I finish and forget until the next time, and thus the cycle continues.  Sorry, maybe tmi.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »

Seven years ago when I was in the hospital with rhabdomyolisis, I didn't pee for two days.  My neph said he thought my kidneys had "taken too big a hit," and I would not pee again.  Well, being the stubborn bitch (Babe In Total Control of Herself) that I am, I lay in that bed the final day visualizing Niagara Falls, and guess what, I was peeing up a storm by the time I left.  On my first Adequest I produced about 2600 cc of urine.  Seven years later I am still peeing, but it's down to around 100 cc.  Think positively; it might work for him!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »

btw it occured to me after I went to bed to add that of course even if we don't pee we still lose around 500ml of fluid a day in sweat, so it's not quite correct to say that if you're not passing that everything you take in stays there - just most of it.

Thought I'd add that for completeness.

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »

rofl i love the answers, especially the "tmi" posts its great
adding my bit...
I still do go, about 2 times a day, once when i wake up and once when i go to bed, and then its... what i like to say Tinkle.... Basically dribble? lol its been like that since a few months after starting D. Before that i didnt pee alot anyway, maybe a few a day, but alot more void too... actually pee instead of tinkle. One thing i DO remember from the first time i saw a neph (age 10) is to make urself go to the bathroom like ever 30 mins if u can, and try to pee, even if u dont feel u need to. So ive always done that, and sometimes i do get some tinkle :) i figure the tiny amount (which during the collection didnt even usually equal 100ccs) is better than nothing, and u will be ready for if or when u finally get to pee again lol
hope that helps

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
cookie2008

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »

I just did a 24 hour urine collection and it was 900mls and I was happy since being on daily hemo, being on hemo 26 months total.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »

I urinate normally, several times a day--I don't see any real diminution in the amount of my urine since my kidneys failed, if I adjust for the fluid restrictions I'm on.  I've been on in-center HD since November 2008.

The only thing that is different is the content of my urine.  It foams up in the toilet bowl, a sure sign of proteinuria--which is confirmed by medical tests.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »

btw it occured to me after I went to bed to add that of course even if we don't pee we still lose around 500ml of fluid a day in sweat, so it's not quite correct to say that if you're not passing that everything you take in stays there - just most of it.

Thought I'd add that for completeness.

Sorry RM but its been a tough day, i read that first line as ....... it  occured to me , after i wet the bed !   :rofl;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »

Great replies from everone as usual. My dad had the foamy pee which took him to the neph. He was on steroids and Cellcept for a year and is doing much better. If you do urinate I would assume it's good to go as much as you can. Mom always told me holding your bladder too long can give you a bladder infection lol. I think she's right too lol. Well... the good thing about this is the fact that i won't always have to be putting the toilet seat down everytime right behind him lol.

casper2636

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

My peeing has diminished greatly since being on D. I only go twice a day and am lucky to eek out and eighth of a cup. And I do miss the good old day or taking a good long, well worth waiting for pee. I do get jealous of listening to others peeing up a storm, but I try looking at the convenience of not have to stop what I'm doing to run to the bathroom. It's wonderful on long road trips!
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »

Well Mike pee'd some today. He was released from the hosp but I wouldn't be suprised if he sorta pushed that issue somewhat. He wouldn't wait for a nurse and pulled his own IV out. (messy). He refused home care follow up. For those who don't know he was ill for 2 weeks wouldn't tell dialysis, see a sr. nothing. Chest pain, fever, etc.. he was in ER with Hyperkalemia, and pericardial tamponade. So much fluid built up around the heart it made a trauma to the heart and ruptured it spilling out almost 2 liters of blood.fluid back into the sac. Had a "pericardial window"  put in his heart. Been dialized about 7-8 times in the hosp. since last thurs. to help reduce fluid and I guess help with potassium. Oh, and so much more went on... he wouldn't do a third day of dialysis. he started to "crash" on the operating table. Suregon said he wouldn't of made through the nuight under any circumstances if he hadn't come in. I know deep in my heart he is not going to live much longer. It probably won't be many months left because he just doesn't care. I just need support for ME. If he asks for help, I'll give it. other than that he's on his own. I have spent the last 12 years putting my life aside and it's totally time for me again.

casper2636

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »

You do need help for you. It's his body and he going to do what he wants to with it. As his wife, I'm sure it's heartbreaking, but it's out of your hands. He has to see how this is hurting you, and to be honest, it's rather selfish. D isn't that to bad to make the ones that love you suffer. Gather your friends and family around you and take their love and pull it around you and hold on to it tight! :cuddle;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:37:42 PM »

We are all here for you TS. This is such a difficult and tough time for you I can't even begin to imagine. We care.....

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

PS: KS I have many problems in my life, but luckily wetting the bed isn't one of them :) I don't think my furry overload would be too impressed if I did that!!! lol

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »

I sometimes wonder if my reduced urine output is a consequence of fluid restriction. If I were to spend a convivial evening in the pub, supping several pints, would I urinate a greater quantity? Or would the dialyser have totake off several liters?

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »

I sometimes wonder if my reduced urine output is a consequence of fluid restriction. If I were to spend a convivial evening in the pub, supping several pints, would I urinate a greater quantity? Or would the dialyser have totake off several liters?

you know I think about this. And I wonder "Maybe I should just drink a few liters of water(or beer ;) ) and see what happens" - I've never quite been game enough - I just don't want to risk the potential consequences (ie: mega cramp of having to take off a whole heap more than I'm used to) let alone anything worse - like fluid on the lungs etc.

I guess for me anyway when i think about it I look at that I take in say 1L/day fluid, give or take... but only output say 150ml.. so we'll say 15% max. There's nothing to suggest that if I take in 3 or 4 times that, that I'll somehow output more than half a litre or a bit more. Then I'd be like 4kg over.

Although alcohol does dehydrate you....

OFF TO THE PUB!!!!!! And I'm taking texasstyle with me!!!  :rofl;  :beer1;

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »

I know deep in my heart he is not going to live much longer. It probably won't be many months left because he just doesn't care. I just need support for ME. If he asks for help, I'll give it. other than that he's on his own. I have spent the last 12 years putting my life aside and it's totally time for me again.
I'm so sorry.

Perhaps at a time when your hubby is feeling a little better, you can have a heart-to-heart talk with him about how you're feeling and where the two of you go from here.

I'm sure he loves you and doesn't want to hurt you.  Perhaps he just doesn't know how you're feeling.

I remember when my own mom was dying of cancer, she sat down with Dad and had such a talk with him. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »