I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Come to my pity party
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Come to my pity party  (Read 11417 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: September 11, 2010, 09:23:37 PM »

I really don't know what's wrong with me lately; I have been in a mood most foul.  I would love to hide under the covers for just a while so that nothing else bad can happen...you know what I mean?  And here on IHD, so many of our members are struggling through all sorts of obstacles; I'm sure many of you would love to escape from it all for a while. 

We all try our best to see the positives and to remain optimistic.  Well, sometimes I just can't manage that, and when I can't, I throw a pity party complete with several bottles of whine. :wine;

Sometimes whingeing and whining really does cheer me up.  I usually get so tired of hearing myself whine that I shut myself up so that I will stop annoying myself.  So if you have a minor whinge you want to air, this is the place to do it.  Serious issues should have a thread of their own, but if you don't have a safe place in the real world to be annoying, come to the pity party.

Edited: Moved to Dialysis: General Discussion - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:20:18 AM by okarol » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »

I have so many, I prefer to keep them to myself.  I've gotten myself in trouble too many times by voicing some of the things that swirl around in my brain.  I know that most of what swirls in there is paranoid delusion, but it is what causes most of my "moods."  Recognizing the problem is half the solution, right?

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »

well, I feel like whining with you! Life just flat out sucks sometimes, I mean, I'm glad I am alive, but why does everything have to be so f-ing hard!? I a having a glass of wine to wine to, lol - I get it. I know there are a lot of people who have it worse then my family, but damn, sometimes I wish things would go my way for a change!

There whine over. I feel a tiny bit better! Good thread. I hope it doesn't offend anyone!

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:24:46 AM »

Oh MM, I am so sorry I cant come, you see, I have just had my own pity party. After the nuclear stress test, they discover I have a 75% blockage in the left ventricle ( or somewhere around there). So, now, I have to have an angiogram. Isnt one part of your body being in bad shape enough for one person? So, now, its kidneys, heart and back. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. But, I sat in the shower and had a long chat with my father and let the tears roll, and i feel a whole lot better now. That works better for me than wine, as wine gives me a bad hangover, while I am drinking it even. LOL

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »

No wine, just whine and chocolate for me, please.

Really, I shouldn't have any reason to whine, right?  I've got my working transplant; my new place is lovely; my classes are interesting; thanks to my little nest egg I inherited from Gram I no longer have any serious financial worries; my hair has even mostly grown back.  While my weight is still bouncing up and down with the prednisone, at least it's staying close to a reasonable weight and not shooting into the stratosphere anymore.  What could I possibly have to whine about, really?  Well, other than the giant freaking divot in my gut that makes me cringe every morning when I get out of the shower.  I am so tired of being UGLY.  I can't even call to make an appointment with the plastic surgeon until November, for an appointment to be scheduled in January.   It's been over a year and I just want to look normal, at least with my clothes on and without the giant bandage/tummy shaper I have to wear daily to be comfortable enough to move around.   That's it though - the only thing I really want to whine about.

Well, that and the fact that my partially deaf downstairs neighbor has hung a million wind chimes so she can hear them. Auuugh!

Okay, done now.  Next person's turn!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »

I'm cold, because Hurricane Earl blew summer away.. *sigh*  If I was rich, I'd move to a warmer climate

I also think I've killed the trivia and guess the lyrics threads cuz no one seems to want to google with the clues I've given

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »

There whine over. I feel a tiny bit better! Good thread. I hope it doesn't offend anyone!

Oh no, I don't want to offend anyone!  I just want to give people the opportunity to poke fun at any less than significant worries.  We all know about our big worries.  I sometimes find that I expend so much energy dealing with the big stuff that there's little left with which to combat the small, irritating stuff, and the small, irritating stuff gets bigger than it should get.  So this thread is to diffuse that, if possible.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »

Jean, I know you are going through a rough patch.  Sometimes a whine is not enough, rather, only tears will do.   :cuddle;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »

Absolutely!!!!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:56 AM »

We all get that life is unfair - it's just that once in a while, couldn't it be unfair in our favor?   :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »

i know just how you feel. however, the problem with hiding under the covers is that sooner or later the world comes to stand at the bottom of the bed and yells at you. then again we all deserve to hide now and again.  we all need to vent every once and awhile, have a good go at it.  :grouphug;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »

Yesterday I felt so nauseous I did hide under the covers.
When will this ever end? Sometimes when I'm feeling physically lousy it's all I can do to get up in the morning.But I keep plodding away never giving up hope --- yet! I just want to be normal again.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

Yesterday I felt so nauseous I did hide under the covers.
When will this ever end? Sometimes when I'm feeling physically lousy it's all I can do to get up in the morning.But I keep plodding away never giving up hope --- yet! I just want to be normal again.

Yes, I know just how you feel.  Lately I've been bothered by nausea on and off, and when you don't feel good, EVERYTHING is difficult, even having a shower.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »

Even though I have my own crosses to bear- I do get a lot of my courage from the people here. You'alls daily struggles make me try harder. I am in awe of most of you.

glitter/julie

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »

I am tired. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »

I'm joining the pity party for just a few minutes. Reading that article karol posted about the lack of organ donors in oz got me down. Not because that's new news, but they claimed in the article the average wait time for a kidney is 3.8 years. Yeah, well I'm over 4 and a half years waiting.... Guess I'm just not very average.

However in better news I was in Brisbane the other day for a quick break in the sun and I was upgraded to an executive suite at the hotel. Score!! We could have a mega party in that room, and as for the jacuzzi... well.....  >:D >:D >:D >:D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

Aww Richard, I was hesitant to post it. But the news is not always accurate, and I am hoping your kidney comes soon. Good to hear the better news - I am always up for a party!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
murphy

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »

Its ok to have a pity party when you hear bad news like from bad labs or just life in general.  I set a time limit for the pity and get up and go again.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 02:34:18 AM »

I've been waiting 6 and a half years for mine, Richard, and I was told that the average wait time is 5 years.  When my mom asked the Transplant coordinator why it's taking so long, she told Mom that my blood type was too common.  What the hell does that mean??

I'm also sick of people telling me that I should be happy because I look healthy, and generally, I do feel good, but that isn't the point.  I am still sick.  I"m also sick of people telling me all the stuff I should be doing, like I should be going for walks twice a week, or I should be going back to school, or I should get back into writing, or I should get into volunteering so I can get out of the house. I don't feel like doing any of that stuff.  My best friend, I love her to pieces, she's like a sister to me.  The other day she told me that I should start looking into university again, and I almost said that I should pull my blanket over my head and wait for the inevitable to happen, but I stopped myself, because I knew that would upset her.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 02:43:05 AM »

But, I sat in the shower and had a long chat with my father

You took a shower with your Father!!!???????

Ken
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 08:04:36 AM »

wait wait "You should be happy because you look healthy"????

W... T... F??????!!!

:urcrazy; :boxing;

Yeah I am sure there are people walking the streets who are HIV+ or have cancer and "look healthy" so they should be happy?!!! OMG? So if I look like crap I'm allowed to be unhappy? wow some people are truly bizarre.

Wait if I put on a dress and lipstick does that mean I should get a sex change???  :puke;

I think saying your blood type is "too common" is just saying that, say like me you're A, which is pretty common, than the number of donors, in theory, should be greater HOWEVER that is offset by the number of recipients which will also be significantly greater. Now if you had a 1:1 relationship between donors and recipients - as in all things being equal - then that wouldn't be an issue, but donors are in short supply, thus there will be more people wanting kidneys in that blood group compared to say a rarer one.

Or let me put it this way with an example using some numbers. Let's say blood group A is 40% common, so 4 out of 10 folks are A. Let's say O is 50% and let's say B is 10%. Further let's say there are 100 people on the waiting list, and 2 donor kidneys show up. Now if all things were equal, you'd have a 1 in 10 chance if you were one of the ones waiting right? Let's say the averages hold. Let's say one kidney is type A and one is type O. (I'm going to ignore that O is the universal donor or whatever).

So of that 100 people waiting, 40 are A, so they can match to that one kidney. YAY! 50 are O, so 1 in 50 has a shot at that one matching, and those 10 with B blood group, well they're out of luck totally. So in this example the O's are at a disadvantage to the A's because they have a 1/50 chance of getting the matched kidney, vs 1/40.

That's a very simple example, but I hope it illustrates what I'm trying to say about the commonness. Sadly, all about supply and demand.

I'm A, and I read somewhere it's pretty common. My brain says the stats say 37% or some odd number like that. I believe B (or is it AB?) is the rarest.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

My basement still stinks because of whatever died between the walls.

I have an appt with my neph tomorrow, and I'm really nervous.  I hate this feeling.

I miss my mom.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:43 PM »

"Be happy cause you look healthy."

Ummm, sorry - it's beauty that's only skin deep - not health!   :banghead;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »

No, Ken, not my father, my Father. God. That Father. He doesnt talk much but he is one darned good listener.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

I think saying your blood type is "too common" is just saying that, say like me you're A, which is pretty common, than the number of donors, in theory, should be greater HOWEVER that is offset by the number of recipients which will also be significantly greater. Now if you had a 1:1 relationship between donors and recipients - as in all things being equal - then that wouldn't be an issue, but donors are in short supply, thus there will be more people wanting kidneys in that blood group compared to say a rarer one.

Or let me put it this way with an example using some numbers. Let's say blood group A is 40% common, so 4 out of 10 folks are A. Let's say O is 50% and let's say B is 10%. Further let's say there are 100 people on the waiting list, and 2 donor kidneys show up. Now if all things were equal, you'd have a 1 in 10 chance if you were one of the ones waiting right? Let's say the averages hold. Let's say one kidney is type A and one is type O. (I'm going to ignore that O is the universal donor or whatever).

So of that 100 people waiting, 40 are A, so they can match to that one kidney. YAY! 50 are O, so 1 in 50 has a shot at that one matching, and those 10 with B blood group, well they're out of luck totally. So in this example the O's are at a disadvantage to the A's because they have a 1/50 chance of getting the matched kidney, vs 1/40.

That's a very simple example, but I hope it illustrates what I'm trying to say about the commonness. Sadly, all about supply and demand.

I'm A, and I read somewhere it's pretty common. My brain says the stats say 37% or some odd number like that. I believe B (or is it AB?) is the rarest.

That's a good way of explaining that. Thanks. I'm O+, and I've been told that it is one of the most common types. I've never actually researched it, so I"m not sure if it's true or not.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »