I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 10:30:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  flu shots
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: flu shots  (Read 7458 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »

my stupid center is now trying to bribe people into getting the flu shot. I go in for my monthly labs and they are trying to give you a shirt, a sucker, and I forget whatelse, just to get a flu shot! Their goal is to get 100% of us the shot. OK I can see the reasoning behind the stupid flu shot, but as a rule, I dont get it! But to try to give us this stuff, I mean come on. 
 I just get the feeling that they are bsing us so that they can get some type of an award!

It also makes me angry that my doctor wont sign off on my student loans. I really havent worked since I started dialysis. THey want me to pay $400 a month on them! I just might have to black mail him into signing the Sallie Mae documents to get out of paying back my student loans.
If he signs to have my loans forgiven, then I will get the flu shot, other then that, its a no. hehe.
Lisa 
I dont believe in flu shots  :Kit n Stik;

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »

I get them every year.  I got the H1N1 shot last year too.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, since the flu can be deadly to those of us with compromised immune systems

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cloud393

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »

I never use to believe in getting them either but I have to agree with Rikki.  I started getting them when I started D.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »

I understand where you're coming from, I never believed in getting them but my nurse practitioner really gets on my case if I don't, she's a real nag. I get it for the sake of not having to listen to her give me an earful. I got both the regular flu shot and the h1n1 shot last winter, I suppose I will again this year. I'm a sucker though, if they were giving out free stuff for getting a flu shot I would do it, lol.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
Nephrologista

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

It's one of the quality metrics the network judges our units by - the percentage of vaccinated patients.  We're given reports that rank us among units across the network and can be required to file action plans and updates if we don't measure up.  That is not necessarily a bad or ominous thing - chronically ill patients should get the flu vaccine.  But it does mean that we pay a lot of attention to get everyone vaccinated.

There have been some studies of motivating patients to perform health care maintenance tasks with rewards ranging from cell phone minutes to game time to cold, hard cash.  I am not sure it's productive, but I recognize that different people need different types of persuasion (to paraphrase "Heathers.")

Nephrologista
Private practice, USA
Believes in prevention, transplantation, and longer, slower dialysis
Hubbs

when they ask how i feel , I just say; Drained.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »

I got mine 2 weeks ago, and I even got a tootie pop!  :) :bandance;

and yes u really should have your flu shot.  about your student loan? declare bankruptcy.   :waiting;

Blindness separates you from things,
but Deafness separates you from people.
-- Helen Keller --
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »

The flu shot is recommended - at least for those on dialysis (not certain about post transplant, but you'd think so too) because you need to be in the best health you can while on D. Getting the flu definitely won't help with anything. My neph certainly has always suggested to have the flu shot.

I certainly would recommend having it.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Restorer

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:09 PM »

I got mine yesterday. My immune system isn't terribly compromised, as far as I know - definitely not as bad as the last month pre-dialysis - and I'm not around lots of people except at dialysis, but it's a good idea to protect myself in any case.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »

Getting a flu shot is nothing compared to all the other crap we have to deal with, so I don't really understand why anyone would balk at doing something so simple to protect themselves.  I've worked so damned hard to keep myself healthy that there is not way I'm going to let something stupid like the flu endanger me.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
greg10

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »

I got mine yesterday.
Good for you!
I'm not around lots of people except at dialysis, but it's a good idea to protect myself in any case.
No offense, but that is where a lot of sick people are.

What is everybody's thoughts on whether the caretaker should also get the flu shot?
(a) caretaker goes down, the patient may need new caretaker or may have to go back to in-center dialysis if dialyzing at home.
(b) less chance of the caretaker infecting the patient.
(c) possibly better health for the caretaker.

versus
(1) possible side effects of flu shot.

It's one of the quality metrics the network judges our units by - the percentage of vaccinated patients.  We're given reports that rank us among units across the network and can be required to file action plans and updates if we don't measure up.  That is not necessarily a bad or ominous thing - chronically ill patients should get the flu vaccine.  But it does mean that we pay a lot of attention to get everyone vaccinated...
Are health care workers at the units required to take flu shots?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 03:19:38 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »

greg10, I've been on immunosuppressants for some years now, and I've always had a flu shot; I've never had any side effects despite my poor kidney function and depressed immune system. 

My husband is not my caretaker yet, as such, as I have not yet started dialysis, but he won't get a flu shot because "it might hurt".  That's his choice, but I've made it very clear to him that if gets ill, I may not be physically up to taking care of him, so he's gonna have to take his chances.  If I were a caretaker, I would get myself first in line for anything that will keep me healthy so that I can continue being a caretaker.  Gotta sort out your priorities.

And by the way, I figure that my getting a shot will mean less chance of my husband getting the flu.  Even though I am the one with CKD, I still have a responsibility to look after my husband, and this is one way I do it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Nephrologista

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »

"Are health care workers at the units required to take flu shots?"

Yes, they are.

Nephrologista
Private practice, USA
Believes in prevention, transplantation, and longer, slower dialysis
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »

What is everybody's thoughts on whether the caretaker should also get the flu shot?
(a) caretaker goes down, the patient may need new caretaker or may have to go back to in-center dialysis if dialyzing at home.
(b) less chance of the caretaker infecting the patient.
(c) possibly better health for the caretaker.

As a caregiver, I certainly think that we should get flu shots too. I am concerned about item (a), above, and also the possibility of carrying it into the unit.

From a practical point of view, I am sorry to admit that I have never found myself in the same place at the same time with money in hand as the flu vaccine.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 01:12:10 AM »

Yes down here in oz the staff are required to get the flu shot - both regular and "special" ones like HNN1 etc.

And yes, I'd absolutely agree that caregivers should have the flu shot also - both for their own health and for their "patient"

I make sure my cat has her cat flu shots every year... just to be sure !!  :rofl;

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 02:44:44 AM »

Where I live, people in the high risk category (people with chronic illness, their family, the elderly, children under the age of 2 and healthcare workers) don't have to pay for flu shots.  I think for everyone else, it's $10

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
pdpatty

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

Why is it Lillipie that you won't take a flu shot?

I got mine Fri ,H1N1 was in the mix. No side effects,no reaction.

The craziest idea about the flu shot is my daughter,she won't get one(always get flu every year) but she believes the government puts something in the shot. Doesn't say what but refuses to get it. That is crazy. :urcrazy;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »

What for a healthy person might be a few days in bed and some weight loss, for a person on dialysis or transplant patient the flu can cause severe dehydration and possibly a secondary infection leading to complications, which can be devastating.

Jenna's doctor's think the flu shot has less risks than the flu, and I agree.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 05:35:54 PM »

ok pdpatty,  :embarassed:  im with your daughter   :oops;   Well, sorta anyway,, i really have those same type reservations.. I dont think im/we're right or anything, i just second guess EVERYTHING...  I do take the flu shot for the sake of my hubby, but if it were just me, well, i just dont know.  so my vote for carrer and care reciever,,,,,, my vote is to take it

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »

about your student loan? declare bankruptcy.   :waiting;

Bankruptcy does not discharge student loans. This is something that financial aid offices were required by law to drive home to every American long before our financial crisis. There are rare exceptions (aren't there always?) but it sounds like that is what Lisa is going after - the rare exception to the rule.

I have done little professional work since earning my masters (except in the last month) but I have not tried to have my loans forgiven because now that I am post-transplant, I can pay it back and I want to pay it back. I have heard that it is well nigh impossible to have them forgiven, even for fairly severe disabilities, but perhaps your flu jab threat will work.

If it doesn't, I would certainly still get the shot. For all the reasons here. Especially since you have a young child, right? For your child's safety as well as your own.

Oh, pdpatty! Does your daughter watch Fox news??

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
needlephobic

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »

Patty I watched a doc the other night and they interviewed this doctor that has left the USA and is in fear of comming back due to extra stuff they put in the flu shot it made perfectly good since to me I belived the H1N1 shot came out to fast they really didn't know that much about swine flu..so what they are doing is feeding people's fear  and they will run and stand in line to get there shot the news dramatize it all the time  Oh by the way was interessting that they said soon the fluy shot will be madatory if you don't get it jail time
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 03:35:08 PM »

Patty,
 I just dont believe in the shot. For one, I never in my life have had the flu, and rarely get sick. Second of all, as soon as I stepped in the office to get my monthy blood work, they pretty much shoved it down my throat to get the flu shot and that they want to get 100% of us to get it. My nurse even read me her research on vaccines and how they wiped out illness (e.i. polio). The T-shirt is one thing as well. Its like they dont care about us (which is fine by me), but care more about winning a contest.
 The loans really bother me. I know I am on the transplant list. But I have so many antibodies and not one pesron has stepped up to atleast get tested. Since I have soo many antibodies it is even going to take me longer to get a kidney. While I am on financial burden forbearance, the intrest rate accumulates, which I will be paying more, then the average person.

THe flu shot is not as bad as the Kt/v, which I am soo sick of.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:30 PM »

The loans really bother me. I know I am on the transplant list. But I have so many antibodies and not one pesron has stepped up to atleast get tested. Since I have soo many antibodies it is even going to take me longer to get a kidney. While I am on financial burden forbearance, the intrest rate accumulates, which I will be paying more, then the average person.

This is getting off topic from the flu shot issue, but here's info about loans:

Discharging Educational Loans

Borrowers who are totally and permanently disabled (cannot attend school or work and earn money due to a continuing illness or injury) and who have a written certification from a doctor, can have educational loans discharged (cancelled). Generally a loan cannot be discharged for a disability that you had when you applied for the loan unless the disability has worsened considerably.

Applying for Deferment or Discharge of Loans

To make an application for deferment or discharge of your loans:

1. Contact each of your lenders or the agency that is collecting on each loan, explain your circumstances, and obtain the appropriate deferment or discharge forms. You must submit separate documentation to each lender.
   2. Complete the forms and attach any documentation required (for example, proof of receiving appropriate benefits or certification from your doctor).
   3. Submit the individual forms and documentation to each lender.

Keep in mind that this process can be complex and receiving a deferment or discharge can take time. You are expected to continue making your loan payments until a deferment or discharge has been granted on each loan.

What if your Request is Denied?

If your lender or their servicing agency denies your request and you feel you have legitimate grounds for a deferment or discharge of your loans, you have the right to meet with them in person to discuss your circumstances. If your request is still denied, you have the right to request resolution assistance from the U.S. Department of Education, FSA Ombudsman at https://ombudsman.ed.gov.

found here: http://www.debthelp.com/kc/what-happens-to-your-student-loan-if-are-disabled.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 12:05:19 AM »

Surely you jest.

Hey the H1N1 flu shot is made by an Australian company (CSL) - a top notch company in the field. I think there's a little too much conspiracy theory in what you've posted there.  :ausflag;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »