I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 10:33:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  With love and gratitude
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: With love and gratitude  (Read 23497 times)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »

My magnesium level showed  very low in labs and it causes muscle pains, weakness  and can cause fibromyalgia to be more painful.   I have never known my magnesium levels - didn't even know it was ever checked.    I am amazed at how detailed the team is at looking at every single level. 
So, I am hoping it will help some of these symptoms.

Thanks Natnnat, for asking Gregory.  I didn't know anything about magnesium until now.  What would I do without IHD?   :cuddle;

I was very surprised when they told me 1.8 yesterday.  The past week, I have been very anxious, watching every little thing and worrying (which isn't like me).  So that number made me take a big breath and relax.   And then to see that pretty pink kidney on the monitor gave me even more peace of mind.  I really do like clinic days.  It is like getting an "A" on a major test.    The team did say to Barry that they are so impressed with how educated with the disease and transplantation I am.   Guess who I thank for all that knowledge?  All of you!!!  The IHD Encyclopedia!!!
 :cuddle;    :cuddle;     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

2 months today   :2thumbsup;    There are still days that it feels like a dream.   I am so thankful to the family who chose to donate their loved one's organs so many could live well again.   The lady who got the second kidney is also doing well.    I am filled with gratitude.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »

:flower; Beautiful.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »

Glad to read this Paris, and congratulations!! I hope everything continues to go well for you  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »

I'm so happy for you. I hope your kidney lasts years and years.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

You are LIVING THE DREAM Paris!! Long may it last!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:56 AM »

Every time I go to the clinic, I find out a little bit more about my kidney.   The donor only had 3 antigens -- he had two of three different antigens.  So a perfect match with him would be 3/6.  That is why they only called in hard to match patients and why I ended up with it.  They said they don't see if often and for everything to line up for me to receive it was as close to a miracle as possible.   Any transplant is a miracle   :2thumbsup;     I am very fortunate.  If it weren't for this one person with only three antigens, my miracle may have never happened. 

Thanks to everyone who is willing to donate their organs.   :cuddle;

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2010, 05:31:45 PM »

The donor only had 3 antigens -- he had two of three different antigens.  So a perfect match with him would be 3/6. 

:flower;   Wow Paris that is a miracle. It's not something they would have know when considering donating either. Being a hard to match girl myself, I understand the difficulty in getting a transplant. I truly believe someone was looking out for us and found our special angels, giving us the second chance we needed.
My sister has just had two donors turned down as she also has a high PRA. She is now looking at starting dialysis. The news of a 3x2 antigen mix is music to my ears!

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Creatinnine is holding at 1.7 the past 3 weeks, but not going up.  Things seem to be a-ok!   I have been tired this week, but think I may be trying to keep up with everyone else too much.  My husband starting painting the porch and I can't sit when someone else is working. Plus, I am the best edger in the world!  (not so much now with tremors!!)   The project is growing and I realized today, maybe I can't keep up yet.   :rofl;

My sister in law asked yesterday if my body had accepted the kidney now.  It still amazes me how uninformed the family can be.  I should have just said "sure has. I am cured!"

And I spent over an hour arguing with the pharmacy company my insurance uses.  That was fun.  I found out that the more upset you get, the worse the tremors are!!  Is it bedtime yet? 

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »

A transplant is tons better than dialysis, but you are on a lot of drugs to keep it and you won't be normal again.  But you will be close.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »

:clap; Steady as she goes paris, sometimes you just need to watch and give instructions!  :rofl;

Desert Dancer

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »

Paris, I just found this thread but just wanted to tell you anyway how happy I am for you!  :cheer:

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »

Dear Desert Dancer,  I can't hear that phrase too many times!   Thank you for your post.    :cuddle; 

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2010, 04:59:52 PM »

My sister in law asked yesterday if my body had accepted the kidney now.  It still amazes me how uninformed the family can be.  I should have just said "sure has. I am cured!"

Only if you add the gospel choir with generous lashings of "Glory Be!"  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

phyl1215

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

Paris, I also just found this thread....So very happy for you.  I have 98% PRA and will start IVIG next month.  I went through months of B cell, Velcade treatments last fall that did hardly anything.  My daughter is going to be tested right before Thanksgiving as she is a perfect match except for one antibody.  The hospital wants her totally tested and ready for a quick surgery.  I am hopeful but know from last year that these treatments don't work on everyone.  I was so excited to see you finally got a kidney.....you are blessed my dear.  Take good care.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

I think that the 3 month mark was a great turning point.  All of a sudden, I realized I bought groceries and made it through the whole store and could still put them in my car.  Sounds like a small accomplishment, but it felt as close to "normal" as I have been for years.  Even Beth said she could tell a difference in everything about me.   Sleeping is wonderful, no naps needed through out the day.   :2thumbsup;   Appetite is still small but I eat better than I have in years, as far as healthy wise.  Also lost 25 pounds --- can you tell I am not on prednisone??    Creatinine finally went down to 1.4 two weeks ago!  Lowest it has been.  They had just told me that I might stay at 1.8 forever and 10 minutes later the nurse danced into the room with that morning labs and it was 1.4.  She was more excited than me!   Magnisium is still very low despite taking 2400mg a day.   Everything else is doing good.   My "emotional" part is getting better. I think once the holidays are over, it will be much better.  Labs again in the morning.  My now, good friend Robert, always does the draws and he is good at it.   Off to bed.  Thanks for always being here and for listening.  I tell you guys more than I tell anyone else!    :cuddle;

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »

:cuddle;
Good to hear all this good news Paris!

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »

That's so wonderful Paris. I too have sort of unofficially set myself the 3 month anniversary as a kind of milestone; I just passed the first month and already I am walking to the supermarket and doing shopping (not huge amoiunts, as I don't want to be carrying too much.. so smaller trips every other day). Doing general walking for exercise, interacting with people more and more and feeling more comfortable about where I am going. Yes, I have a few bumps with the creat, Hb still low and other stuff, but in general I *know* I am getting there.. and it's amazing that generally I wake up say 7am and I am right for the day. I am motivated (and have the energy!) to get up, eat breakfast (I never really used to because I'd rather sleep in!), have my meds, and get on with stuff - OK yes that stuff usually has been over to pathology for bloods, then off to the clinic or doc, but I've had a few days off so far and being able to be u8p that early with the energy and motivation to do stuff... it's a wonderful feeling and I think "Imagine how good it will be when things are more stable, my prednisolone dose is down more, and I am in a regular cycle of working and stuff!"

This is our very special new lease on life. This is what the gift is all about.. and THIS is what I want to savour, enjoy and have for as long as possible!

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2010, 01:47:08 AM »

The thing I am most pleased with is that you are sleeping! I recall seeing you many nights on here in the wee hours, just never getting a good night in. I am thrilled you're doing so well!  :cuddle;

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:41 AM »

Good on the pair of ya!

Galvo
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »

Good news Paris. Being able to get the grocery shopping done and carry bags is a major milestone. Watch out for the heavy ones! You don't want to strain the abdomen.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »

Okarol, I agree that sleeping is one of the best things ever!  I get up once during the night and fall right back to sleep.

Richard, I am up around 7:30 and am awake!  I don't stumble through the morning.  It is amazing to feel like this.  I forgot what it was like to not live in a fog all the time. 

God bless donors.  The truest life savers ever.   :2thumbsup;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

Had clinic appt today.  I saw the nephrologist that did my biopsy.  He wanted to talk about it more today-- 3 months later.   Anyway, the biopsy showed signs of FSGS.   I am not going to worry. I had slow progressing FSGS before, so even if it does effect this new kidney, I am sure it will also be slow progressing.  And those of us with FSGS know this is a possibility with a transplant.   So far, there is no protein in the urine.  The doc says we will stay on top of it, keep having labs often and not worry until he worries!   I love his attitude.  The lab was backed up, so I didn't get my results today.  If they don't call, it means everything is in the normal range.  Again, not going to worry.   I think I have turned a good corner because I can truly feel the difference now.   And I am dealing much better with the whole emotional part of transplant.  Thanks to so many of you.    :cuddle;   

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2011, 03:30:45 PM »

Glad it went okay(ish!), Liz....

Keep it going!....

Love....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »

I think you have realistic attitude - the FSGS is not an immediate concern, as you say, it took many years to cause damage. And I am so happy you're feeling better. Good things are worth waiting for!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »