I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 10:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  guess it's just my turn
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: guess it's just my turn  (Read 2597 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« on: September 06, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »

In the last week or so, my nurses have been trying different spots to needle me.  I believe they said the reason was to avoid aneurysms, but I could be mistaken.  They really haven't had a whole lot of luck.  In once instance, it took 4 pokes to get 2 needles in, and on Friday, they ended up only getting one in.  As neat as watching the single needle setup is to me, it's probably not the ideal situation.  Today went a step further.  They tried a new spot (again) and was able to get blood back, since today was bloodwork day.  When she flushed the line with saline, it burned and I demanded she take the needle out and not fool with it, looking for the vessel again.  While she was holding the site, my arm swelled up the size of a baseball.  After that, they abandoned any hope of getting a needle in and sent me home.  So I've gone 3 days now without treatment, and it's not something I'd prefer to do again.  They're going to try single needle tomorrow. I hope they get it, because I certainly don't want to go another day without treatment.  I already feel like crap.  This experience has definitely taught me to never choose to miss a treatment.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:17:19 AM »

nasty stuff! :( sounds like your arm was infiltrated ("blown needle") because they pierced the wall of the vein/artery, and the blood leaked into the surrounding tissue(hence the swelling). Yeah, that is not a good outcome. It is true that they do like to avoid using the same spots* to stop creating large bumpy aneurysms. I have a couple already. It seems they stuffed up. I have had that happen and yes, it is NOT fun!  :cuddle;

* - using the same spots can work out if you did buttonholes with blunt needles. Is this not something they're prepared to do for you? It was discussed doing it for me, but since I already had the dam aneurysms they figured there wasn't much point. Maybe you could. Ask about it?!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:46:26 AM »

Riki, I can't believe they didn't arrange for you to come in the next day to try the arm again instead of leaving you 3 days with no dialysis!!!  Have they even mentioned buttonholes??  It makes needling so much easier. We are in Newfoundland and buttonholing is a big thing here.  The unit that hubby used to go to has everybody that can have buttonholes using them.  Cuts down on the pan of needling as well.  Have you ever considered doing your own needles

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Hubbs

when they ask how i feel , I just say; Drained.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:45 AM »

Riki, get your ass to the ER, and let them fix you up, then i would file a complaint agents hem.  jeszz.. your not a rat were they just try something and put u back in your cage if it don't work.  I had 2 blown needles.. and it  hurt like hell, but it was my fault for moving my arm  the wrong way. i have 3 holes they switch too.   now that i'm aware of this hap-pinging..  waiting MY turn. LOL.. oh jezzzzzz

Blindness separates you from things,
but Deafness separates you from people.
-- Helen Keller --
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:10:32 AM »

Ouch! Riki! I know your pain well. I used to have days like that when a new trainee nurse (or someone i haven't had for months) tried to needle my arm.  Four needles later (8 counting the freezing shots) my arm hurt like hell and the next day looked like a beat-up pulp all bruised black and purple.

I asked to be trained to put my own needles in for consistency not only here but when I travel to other dialysis units. I've done pretty well; only missed a few times in the last 2 years. There was a time where i kept on missing and lost my confidence. The vascular nurse took me under her wing and showed me some skills. Now I'm a pro. I could work for them! LOL

When I was training, they asked me if I was sure i could do it...I said "I've been watching you guys do it for the last five years!"
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:12:54 AM by RenalSurvivorDotCA » Logged

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »

it was 3 days because I'd been off for the weekend.  If they hadn't have had any issues, I would have only had 2 days, like normal.  I went back in on Tuesday and Wednesday for full treatments, so I'm back on track now... arm still hurts, though

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »

I've had my share too. I've got swelling in mine now because the tech stuck one of my insisions where they worked on my graft and it made the needle colaps, well no wonder you stuck an insision!
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:05 PM »

I'm getting mobility back in my arm. I can lift it over my head now. I couldn't do it yesterday.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »