I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 06:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Jbeany's Big Day - My first day on hemodialysis
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jbeany's Big Day - My first day on hemodialysis  (Read 15053 times)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 01:00:10 PM »

:2thumbsup;

Things do usually get better.  Your body has to get used to dialysis.  When they get your dry weight determined that will make a difference to BP.  Never be afraid to ask any question and never think any question is too stupid to ask.  It's your body and your life and you need to be a big part of the treatment. Don't let the dialysis control your life.  You can have a life outside of dialysis.  It really helps if you strictly follow the diet that you have. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »

My doc dropped some of my bp meds today.  Hopefully, that will help.  I keep crashing during the last half hour, so I never quite make my goal.  I also spent most of Sunday and Monday watching the ceiling spin at home. I nearly beaned myself tipping over in the shower.  My doc didn't think that sounded like a good way to keep me healthy!  ;D

I did get congrats form the doc and my nurse today for sticking with my fluid restrictions and not gaining more than a kilogram or so per day.  It was easy the first week, since I was too queasy to want anything.  I'll see how I do now that my appetite is back to something close to normal.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 07:26:08 PM »

I hope things are getting easier now that your meds have been adjusted.

I hope the Holiday has been good to you.  :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 12:25:18 AM »

I nearly beaned myself tipping over in the shower. 
Is that how you got your name? :P Just kidding! Anyway, I hope you had a good Christmas dinner without the queasiness. At first when I started HD I was going through the same thing as you. At least from my experience it gets better as they figure out where your dry weight it. I hope it gets easier for you as well!  :cuddle;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
gizmar

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »

What's particularly cool - in addition to a very complete description is that you have an underlying sense of humor about it that's really refreshing.  Keep your sense of humour - it'll get you through it all.  Keep a journal - I'm sure that many dialysis units would love to be able to give their "soon to be dialysis patients" a patient's view of the world.  I started writing a play about dialysis when I first started - I found myself laughing so hard that one wouldn't even realize that this was a life threatening condition.  Maybe one day we'll all pool resources and create a learning tool for hospitals worldwide.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 07:28:32 PM »

My sense of humor is warped, but functional.  Thank heavens for small favors.

My bp is up a bit now that I'm off one more pill, so I've been doing a bit better.  I've been driving myself to the center, which is actually easier in some ways - I don't feel like I'm sucking away everyone else's free time along with my own.  I'm bouncing back after the sessions a lot sooner.  I've even been able to run errands, cook dinner and work out when I get back.  I haven't stopped crashing yet, though.  This week, they keep trying to pull off fluid that isn't from kidney failure - it's from PMS.  Ah, the joys of being female.  After two sessions in a row of crashing and cramping badly enough to make me swear out loud (which I rarely do), the nurse today let me set my own dry weight at what I thought was the appropriate level - and tada!  I didn't didn't crash at all.  Pity I never seem to get the same person hooking me up twice in a row.  Which means that next week, I'll have to try to convince them to reset my dry weight back down to what it was before. . .  bleaccch.  That's just one more thing they don't bother to warn you about when you start.

The good news for the month is that my first appointment with the transplant team is Feb 5.  Hmmmm. . . does anyone make kidney shaped Valentines?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »

My sense of humor is warped, but functional.  Thank heavens for small favors.

My bp is up a bit now that I'm off one more pill, so I've been doing a bit better.  I've been driving myself to the center, which is actually easier in some ways - I don't feel like I'm sucking away everyone else's free time along with my own.  I'm bouncing back after the sessions a lot sooner.  I've even been able to run errands, cook dinner and work out when I get back.  I haven't stopped crashing yet, though.  This week, they keep trying to pull off fluid that isn't from kidney failure - it's from PMS.  Ah, the joys of being female.  After two sessions in a row of crashing and cramping badly enough to make me swear out loud (which I rarely do), the nurse today let me set my own dry weight at what I thought was the appropriate level - and tada!  I didn't didn't crash at all.  Pity I never seem to get the same person hooking me up twice in a row.  Which means that next week, I'll have to try to convince them to reset my dry weight back down to what it was before. . .  bleaccch.  That's just one more thing they don't bother to warn you about when you start.

The good news for the month is that my first appointment with the transplant team is Feb 5.  Hmmmm. . . does anyone make kidney shaped Valentines?

Ya I always have to argue with them at that time of month as well and try not to explain why as I am surrounded by men.  ::) lol

Here we used to have this card from the Kidney Foundation that said "I love you with all my Kidney" (instead of heart) lol .. of course that was for people with a kidney transplant.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
renal30yrs

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 03:16:28 PM »

If you can survive the first time you'll do fine for the next 30 years. Certainly my worst session was the first.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 02:03:23 PM »

It's probably only a matter of time before I, too, become a dialysis patient, so your post was sooo helpful to me.  The unknown is always scary, and I've been scared for several years now.  I don't mean to diminish the seriousness of your situation, but I can honestly say that reading this thread has made me feel more courage than anything anyone else has said to me, and I thank you so much for that. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 09:29:17 PM »

I just read your first day Jbeany and was laughing my ass off.  You described everything so perfectly.  I would send it to my sister so she could laugh too, but you didn't make a big enough deal out of the needles so I don't want her to see it.!   >:D

Thank you for this post.   :beer1;

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 05:21:02 AM »

Jbeany what a great way to describe your first day.

Mine wasn't all that long ago (seems like a life time) and you hit it dead on

Thanks for the great read!

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »

:thumbup; getting there eh?....as time passes by it will be easier and you will be more in control!  :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2007, 10:45:02 AM »

Has it gotten easier to do dialysis since your first day?  Inquiring minds want to know!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2007, 06:10:41 PM »

It actually took about 3 months before I saw any noticeable difference in how I feel.  I do seem to have more energy now, at least on the 4 days of the week I'm not at dialysis.  I feel better than I did after the dialysis sessions where I crashed all the time, but I still don't like to do much after I get home.  I had dialysis today, and I've done 3 loads of laundry since I got back, as well as cooked dinner, but mostly, I've just read a book.  I have tried to work on my crafts afterward, but I have too much trouble focusing to get creative.

I still haven't started trying to self-cannulate.  I'm headed for another fistulagram at the beginning of April.  My graft is already iffy, so I'm more paranoid than ever about poking myself.  Ahh, well, if this one dies on me, I'm getting the next one in my leg.  I won't have to worry about trying to cannulate myself one handed that way.

I remain the youngest patient at my center, and so far, the only one on my shift who seems to have any enthusiasm for being in charge and learning all I can.  Case in point - the first time I tried to unscrew the connector links on the tubing at the end of my session.  The nurses usually do it, then remove the filter and tubing from the machine and dispose of them before coming back to pull my needles.  The nurse had walked over to get gloves for the both of us and while I was waiting, I figured I'd unscrew the tubes and speed things up.  We're supposed to know how to do this in case of fire anyhow, right?  So I unscrewed the red nozzle - and couldn't get it to budge.  By then the nurse was back, and I asked her if there was a trick to it.  Apparently, there is.  You have to flex it back and forth at the right point to break the vacuum seal, or the tubes won't come apart.  I got it figured out while she undid the other one.  Then she told me I was the only patient she had ever had who had tried it - no one else has ever asked about it.  I said something about needing to know for the fire emergencies, and she said maybe they should have all the patients try it once.  The unit manager comes around with a sheet of paper that you have to sign to prove that they have discussed emergency disconnects with you, and you have to tell her that you know how to close all 4 clamps and unscrew the tubes, but no one has ever mentioned that there was any special trick you needed to know.  They don't actually demonstrate it.  Yeesh - what was it that Bill Peckham called it?  "Learned Dependence"?  I'm fighting to learn something - but not that!

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »

Jbeany,  you go girlfriend,  i am so glad to hear that you are getting involved in your own care, that is good, when i was in hemo i didnt want to know nothing, see nothing, hold nothing, i was angry (as if you couldnt tell) :P  I am sure if i ever have to go back to hemo i will also become more involved with my care, reading posts from patients who do has inspired me to do so and you are one of them ;)  thank you  :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kelliOR

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 09:39:17 PM »

Jbeany,  you go girlfriend,  i am so glad to hear that you are getting involved in your own care, that is good, when i was in hemo i didnt want to know nothing, see nothing, hold nothing, i was angry (as if you couldnt tell) :P  I am sure if i ever have to go back to hemo i will also become more involved with my care, reading posts from patients who do has inspired me to do so and you are one of them ;)  thank you  :cuddle;

Wow, Goofynina,  this is exactly my behavior when I was on hemo. I'm embarrassed to admit how noncommitted i was to MY OWN HEALTH! As if I expected OTHERS  to take care of ME.  How selfish I was.................. Everyone here is an inspiration!

kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »

Now that i think of it, isn't it funny how i wanted nothing to do with knowing about anything, now, i am on PD, i have to know EVERYTHING and do EVERYTHING for myself, lol,  but hey, i'm gonna keep doing it 'til i just cant do it no more thats for damn sure :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »

LOL susie... very true, on PD you have no choice but to know about everything, on hemo you can choose to know nothing if you want.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »

:bump;

Thinking of you JBeany...  :waving;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »

thx  okarol for putting this thread up.....  I had not read this before.....    And All of us have been thinking and reading about Jbeany bigger day.....  the journey has been great to read and very informative....    esp for us  pre-dialysis newbies..... 

this post really helps.....

good Luck  Jbeany..... with all your journeys

kathy

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »

Great thread, but I am in tears.  Reading Goofynina's posts and jbeany's first day posts gave me a flood of emotions.  Jbeany is in my thoughts and prayers all through the day.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »

:thx; for bumping this, Karol !  It was great reading about Jbeany's dialysis journey and very special hearing from my Goofynina again.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »