I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Today's Clinic Visit
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Clinic Visit  (Read 2509 times)
clappedout

« on: August 17, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »

Quote"smile it can't get any worse"...so I smiled and guess what...it just got worse"...On CAPD..now i9nformed low transporter..cant get rid of the water..so the next step..Hemo..great..I love needles..just love em..If I was a junky I would be buggered lol!
Whats it like folks..does the Fistula hurt..do the needles hurt..does it all hurt ???? :puke;

I feel like crying sometimes in relity and I hate going to see the Neph..never has anything good to say...feel like a naughty schoolboy sometimes..and why oh why do I always seem to feel guilty when I'm there ??..sorry folks need to rant a bit..hope all you guys are doing well

love steve C
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:53:53 AM »

Cheer up, mate. It's bound to get worse! Seriously, though, my fistula op gave me no pain at all. Some people seem to have some discomfit. Some are sore. The needles are nothing-have some local initially. I haven't bothered with any for months. You'll be right

Galvo
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

Steve,

sorry  to  hear  that.     :'(     :cuddle;   

did  PD  nurse  suggest  cycler  or  shorter  dwell  times  before heading to  Hemo?

I've  never  done  hemo,  from what  I  hear,  if you  follow your  fluid  restrictions,  hemo will  be  so  much easier  on you.

I've been  doing  PD since 2004,  but   in  2007  I  had  an  exit  site  infection,  my  dr   recommended  getting  a fistula  just  in  case the  cath  he  to   be  removed.   Luckily  the  infection  was  mild  (caused  by  water, or  nor  drying the  site  completely).   I've  had  my  fistula  since  Aug 21, 2007  no  pain  whatsoever.
Using   the  fistula  can  be  a bit  uncomfortable  to  painful.   Ask  hemo  techs  to  use  a  numbing  cream. In  fact you  can  ask  your  Dr  for  a prescription  for  it,  and  put it on  20-30 minutes  before treatment  time.

take  care!!

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:24:51 AM »

I hope it isn't as bad as you are expecting.  My husband actually preferred HD over PD, he did CAPD for a year and then went to in centre haemo for four more years.  Maybe you'll be like him?  I really hope that it works out not too bad for you...   :grouphug;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
tito

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »

Don't switch yet!!!

I am the world's slowest transporter, but working with my nephrologist and the PD nurses, we got my kt/v up to 2.02 this last time, after about a year of experimenting.

I do two dwells in 9 hours on the cycler, and one exchange during the day. The night time dwells average about 4 hours, and the day time about 6. That seems to do it for me.

Ideally, I should be on manual exchanges - whenever I travel and use manual, my clearance goes up. But I work during the day as a teacher, and have no time or place to do the exchanges. My one day time exchange is done when I get home at 3 pm.

I was just in the hospital and rehab for a hip replacement. They started doing exchanges six times a day and my clearance fell. There was a big, mean nephrologist who insisted on getting me ready for hemo. I fought back tooth and nail, alerting social workers, all hospital personnel that I did not want to be touched. He eventually backed off, and my clearance began to go up - they switched to four echanges a day with 6 hour dwells.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »