I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 02:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bi-lateral Nephrectomy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bi-lateral Nephrectomy  (Read 2989 times)
cloud393

« on: August 28, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »

I am scheduled to have both native kidneys removed 10/1/10. I am both scared and excited as I have really large PKD kidneys and always have alot of pain and sometimes trouble breathing.  It'll be nice to have relief from the pain & stuff but it's scary to think about not having any kidneys at all.  I am finally on the transplant list but who knows how long that will take. 
Has abnyone had this procedure?  I'm sure someone has.  How long was surgery?  How long to recover?  how much pain & for how long?  How long of a hospital stay?  Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lorie

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:45:24 AM »

I don't want to scare you... please keep in mind that it differs from person to person.

I had only one PKD kidney removed in Jan and it was hell. I was in ICU for 6 days and was off work for 7 weeks. The sudden drop in kidney function was very dramatic and I felt at deaths door because I only started Dialysis 3 months later. You should start immediately so you should not feel like this. I was very very sore and I got so week from not moving in ICU that it took months for me to just walk short distances. Oh, they cut me right in the middle of my abdomen because they must remove the urether from the bladder. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink for about 5 days and when I did I had gastro for the next four days..... bad really bad. I could not walk to the loo, they brought me a "portable" wheelchair toilet to my bed.

My experience was a nightmare and I would think twice before I have the other one removed.

Good luck with yours. I know it will be much better than mine. 

I really wish you well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:49:34 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
romanyscarlett

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »

I had my right PKD kidney removed at the end of April this year and I'm due to have the left one taken out on 6th October.

I am quite fortunate in that I have a high pain threshold however I was not prepared for how much the operation would hurt. I have a 13 inch incision which runs from the middle of my rib cage and continues along the line of my bottom rib and into my hip area. Once again, I was totally unprepared to how I would react seeing my body with such a big scar. The first glimpse is obviously the worst and I broke down when I first saw myself in the mirror. It looked terrible because of all the metal staples holding it together but once they were removed I found it a lot easier to look at.

I know it sounds like a silly idea but I really think you may benefit from drawing a red line down the centre of your body and looking at yourself in the mirror so you can prepare yourself for what you will look like with a real scar. I wish I had done that in the run up to my operation and I will definitely be doing it in the run up to my next operation in October.

Like Des said, it takes a long time to be able to walk properly again. I found myself only able to shuffle short distances and getting in and out of bed was agony. I wasn't able to stand up straight for at least a month and my sleep pattern was erratic as I kept waking myself up by moving in the night and causing myself a lot of pain.

Having said all that, I don't want it to sound like the operation is horrific and doomed. The peace of mind I now have far outweighs all the pain and hassle. I love knowing that I will never have another cyst burst. I will never again be laid up in bed trying to fight of an infection in one of the cysts. My other organs all have more room to breathe and having a transplant will be easier because there is more space. I have lost count of the amount of social events I have had to renege on because I had a cyst burst or because I've come down with some kind of fever courtesy of my PKD kidneys. Once I've recovered from the second round of surgery these issues will no longer be the bane of my life.
huldafolk

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »

I first got into trouble in the summer of 2002 when I suddenly developed a pulmonary embolism and nearly died . I survived after a stay in hospital with anticoagulants and O2 treatments.  I was discharged without a full investigation as to why I had the embolism. I was put on Coumadin and followed for INR only.I believe the clot was released from my IVC which required opening and clot removal during the bilateral nephrectomy operation to follow in Dec. of 2002. I also believe that my surgical outcome would have been better if the investigation was done then and not waiting until I showed up in life threatening critical condition in Dec. of 2002.
          As Dec.2002 approached ,I had multiple episodes of cold spells with full body shivers. and passing blood in my urine(visible). I continued working thru all this. Finally I got to a point where I could not take a full breath and was attempted to have intubation placed at a rural hospital. I vomited. My wife insisted that they transfer me immediately to Winnipeg,HSC by ambulance(about 1 hour away). I made it by minutes as there was no way to treat me on the ambulance if my breathing failed. I got into the ER and crashed. They wanted to intubate but I refused due to the last attempt, They used a pressure mask and stabilized me with that. At that time they place a catheter and blood was the only thing that came out,and lots of it.  With investigation over the next few hours ,it was determined that my IVC was blocked with clot and my kidneys were bleeding and not able to stop other than Bi-lateral Nephrectomies STAT.  I went to surg. that night and wasn't out of anesthesia for 2 entire days. I was placed into ICU still under anesthesia with my abdomen packed due to unstoppable bleeding, but other vessels were clotting( my pre-surg. wrist fistula was used once prior to the surg. then clotted during the surg.).
             When they brought me back into surg. to close the incision from breastbone to pubic bone, they found that my large bowel had been perforated during the first phase of the surg. and I required a right side ileostomie with the removal of my ascending right large intestine.  It was now 2 days since I went into surg. when I awoke in the ICU intubated with no way to ask WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED??. I had central lines coming out of both sides of my neck and eventually had the central line wire tracked to come out of my chest. I was also on constant dialysis in the ICU and heavy narcotics for the pain(fentanyl) I found out after that they told my wife when I went into the ICU the first time after the first phase of kidney removals and IVC clot removal/ right groin fistula formation/clotting and excessive bleeding/transfusions etc. that" we have had people like him survive in the past".
        I am now into my 7th year of heamodialysis with a second fistula that was placed in my right arm bicep area during my stay in the hospital for recovery from the major operation (I was in and out for a full year due to various complications from the intestinal injury and eventual reversal with abscess formation /drainage procedures/CT scans/venous feeding tube. )  It took me about a month of therapy to be able to walk again after the long bed rest position I was put into due to the surg. I still have very weak muscle capabilities and tire very easily.  I have had a second intestinal injury when my dog jumped on me in the middle of the night and ruptured my left colon. I had emergent surg. and had a left side colostomy formed. I live with the bag to this day with only one surgeon in Winnipeg willing to talk about a possible reversal after I have a successful transplant.
            I am going into surg. in the next couple of weeks for a tie off of the fistula in my right groin. It has been there to increase flow through my IVC (have a stent in the IVC from a separate procedure after the clot was removed at the time of the bilateral nephrectomies) so that I would have vessels to transplant to on the right side(the required vessels on the left side clotted off during the bilateral nephrectomies). The groin fistula has caused a back flow of fluids into my right leg , and it always gets very enlarged between dialysis treatments.(twice the size of my left leg). By tieing off this fistula they hope the flow will correct and the leg will be of a more normal size.  My list of drugs is long. Parathyroids intact due to taking Sensipar for years. Nearly deaf in left ear associated with fluid changes (Miniere's somewhat controlled by Betahistine> Cerc, sometimes vomit for hours in a cold full body sweat).
             I am still alive> they haven't managed to kill me yet!!! :sarcasm;

1980 diagnosed with ADPKD
2003 EMERG. Bi-lateral nephrectomies IVC STENT
2003-now 3x/week 4hours each hemo at clinic
2003-2004 multiple complications /ileostomy
2004 reversal of ileostomy
2010 colostomy
2003 to now ,on transplant list(on and off due to complications)
8 years on list> said to be at top of list for transplant.
2010 RCA Heart STENT
2011 Restent RCA with Drug Eluting (70% closed in 3 months)
LAD stent with drug eluting (66mm long stent)
On transplant list again!!2011/3
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »

My husband lost one kidney in a motorcycle accident, then 20 years later lost his other one to cancer (nephrectomy) he went from 100% function to 0% overnight. The recovery from surgury was fairly quick-four days in the hospital. .. his body getting used to the abrupt change.... tnot so quick. Took about a year for him to stop being sick (throwing up), he spent most of that year in the hospital. His doctors said his reaction was abnormal. I wish you well.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
cloud393

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »

Thank you for your replies.  It certaninly gives me alot to think about.  I'm sorry you all have had to go thru all that you have. 

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »