I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:51:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  PCT's that donate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PCT's that donate  (Read 4126 times)
ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« on: August 26, 2010, 01:53:35 AM »

9 years ago when I started D at my first clinic I started noticing how everything going on around my chair and machine. I see that all the techs replacing the empty bicarb jugs all except for one tech. The other tech around her got her jugs and placed it on the machine. One day I asked her why do the other techs do her part of the jobs. She told me that she donated her kidney to a family member several years back. We talked a while about the transplant and she showed me her scar. That scar was long. She told me because they had to through some muscle it would hurt now when she bend her back for any length of time. After that day I respected her more than any other worker at the clinic. She left the clinic after a few years and moved to a southern state. I have yet to meet another tech who has given that kind of commitment. I am pretty sure they are out there but they are far and few between. Thank you Esther for showing the compassionate side of being a tech.

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Dianejt

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »

The dialysis nurses at the hospital where Frank goes are so wonderful to him , all the other patients & me. I realize it is not a "for profit clinic" as most dialysis people go to. There are 6 nurses, a social worker and doctors. Our Dr is in at least twice a week & according to Jane, one of the nurses, he will call for info on one of his patients even on his scheduled Saturday off.  I have felt true compassion from these people who take care of the people we love. They always have a smile & gentle hand. They have the rolled up towel Frank likes to use for a pillow along with 3 blanket ready for him, placed one at a time whenever he needs. I cannot imagine anyone having to deal with someone with an attitude, I'm so sorry some have to deal with that.

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:48 AM »

I have often thought if a person can live a normal life with only one kidney......  how can these people who see us suffer day in and day out still be walking around with 2 kidneys?  How can a nephrologist watch a child suffer and die and not be tested?  I don't know.  At least if they gave one kidney and it was gone then they could not give again and they would have tried.  But all the techs and nephrologists I know have 2 fully functioning kidneys.

Maybe they know something we don't.    ???   Maybe they can't be down for 3 weeks?   ???

ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

This is why I respect Esther more than any other pcts that I've been around. There are very few other pcts that are compassionate and caring but doing that ultimate deed of donating a kidney(or liver, bone marrow) makes them the top of my list of best pcts.

Rerun you are right that they all have 2 working kidneys and there should be a little more donations from them. I am hoping that there is higher incident with those working with children on dialysis.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:42:45 AM by ChickenLittle56 » Logged

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:20:55 AM »

I heard the other night that my neph's mom is on dialysis, he is not giving her his kidney (don't want to know why not, he just said no,"I am not getting tested") and he knows MORE on what we go through than anyone else.
Most of them are scared that they might loose the function of the "remaining" kidney.... I know this because I asked a few of them if they have ever thought of donating.

I can't even get family to donate so I really can't ask a relative stanger to donate. Let's face it "We" are just a job to them. They get paid to look after us. No strings attached..

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »