I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I was in the hospital again
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I was in the hospital again  (Read 2060 times)
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« on: August 25, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »

Well it was a couple weeks ago but it feels like it was yesterday. I went to the emergency room because I was having trouble breathing, they took and x-ray and saw a build up of fluid around my right lung so they decided to drain it, they drained 750ccs of fluid. I was fine that night but the next day I was having trouble again, I was in the middle of dialysis when it got really bad so they called an ambulance. An x-ray revealed that I had a partial lung collapse which can be a side effect of draining fluid from that area. I still had a lot of fluid left in the lining of my lungs which has been putting a lot of stress on my heart so I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, the course of action is to lower my dry weight to get the fluid off. Problem is, since then I have been having trouble getting it off, I gained it right back, so its been like one step forward and two steps back. We tried something new the other day, instead of my usual three hour run and barely getting 2 off and cramping like crazy, we did four hours and got 3 off. I did a fluid removal session for an hour and then the rest was filtration. I hardly cramped and it seemed to go a lot smoother. I'm hoping that if this continues to work out I will be able to get down to the dry weight they want me at and I can finally shake the use of oxygen.

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

Wow! Keep us informed.  I hope the next few sessions are better for you.
FindingNeverland

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »

Thanks, I hope so too.  :pray;

silverhead

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:29:04 PM »

We had 3 years of swollen ankles and fluid problems, between the 2 of us we figured she released fluids very slowly and decided to slow the NxStage machine from 450 to 400 blood flow rate, it adds almost a half hour to the treatment time, but since we started this her ankles have returned to normal size, no more almost daily cramps, her appetite has improved and she is actually gaining muscle weight. I really kick myself for not trying this sooner, but the Neph is really pleased with her condition now, and no longer questions our treatment options. Hope you have similar results.
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
casper2636

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »

I'm so sorry you have to go through that kind of pain. Not getting enough air is so scary!
I, to, am in the the hospital often - once a month! I'm allergic to the epogen, so I'm extremely low on blood. By the end of the month, I can hardly get myself out of bed...I'm only 44! Oxygen is something I cherish. I wish there was a magic wand that could both you and me!
Casper2636
FindingNeverland

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »

It really is a scary thing and I notice the more fluid I take on, the worse it gets. Hospital stays are no fun, I've had three since my kidney rejected in Jan. All three revolved around some type of breathing trouble. Adema was how we found out the kidney was failing when my doctor thought it was Pneumonia. The second time I had to be intubated because they put me under to do my fistula and had trouble waking me up because of all the fluid I had built up. And then there was this last time. The good news is that I'm going to be re-evaluated for another transplant and I have four possible donors. I had one lined up until we found out she had high blood pressure, which is a no-no for donating. So I'm hoping to get a transplant soon so I can put this all behind me, dialysis just doesn't seem to be my thing, plus I'm only 27.   

casper2636

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »

Findingneverland, God Bless you have another kidney lined up! I've found it's the waitting that is the worst. I so wish that a match will come for me, but the more transfusions I get the harder the match. I'm wishing you more than good luck on your next one!
Casper2636
FindingNeverland

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »

Thank you Casper2636, and I hope all that waiting is rewarded and you find a match. Well I had another one lined up, but they developed high blood pressure in the last nine years since my original transplant and now they can't donate. I do have four possible matches, we know they have the same blood type at least and they've called in to be further tested, so I got all my fingers crossed.

casper2636

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

My fingers are crossed for you too, and my prayers are with you! Keep us posted!
Casper2636
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »