I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What next?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What next?  (Read 2414 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: August 25, 2010, 09:04:28 AM »

Well i went on monday for what i thought was to finally get some treatment for my COPD. I had the tests done in May ! As you know its interfering with my dialysis, i cough constantly and its making the tunnel line in my neck hurt , plus i start throwing up from all the coughing and all i get is lecture after lecture off the staff because i have to come off early (eg half hour or so early) because im hurting so much. Anyway  when i finally got to see the doctor (2 hour clinic start delay) he decided it isnt COPD and wants more tests and a scan . So back to square one , no treatment , mad nurses and feel like crap because i cant remember the last time i had a full nights sleep because of all the coughing.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
greg10

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

I am sorry to hear that.  I am a total newbie caregiver, just here trying to learn, so I won't be much help.  Anyway I looked up some of the acronyms and this paper may be of some use:
"Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD ) may not be tolerated by patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) because of increased abdominal pressure in the standing position after instillation ofperitonealfluid, We report, here, a patient with COPD who had marked distress while on CAPD but was more comfortable with supine intermittent peritoneal dialysis."

http://www.advancesinpd.com/adv94/27low94.html

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »

While i appreciate you posting , i dont understand why you are referring to CAPD?  I am on Hemo !  I did do CAPD for 6 years though without any problems ! and as i said they now dont think its COPD but something else ..thanks anyway  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but, have you ever tried having a cough drop in your mouth while you sleep? I do that often, and itjust kind of sticks to the inside of your cheek. Of course, if you drool, it could become sticky.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »

Sorry Jean but its not the sort of thing a cough drop will ease. They have a feeling its either something to do with my lungs ..hence the scan or to do with oxygen being carried round my body.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »

I hate waiting for doctors and hospitals.  Just do the tests now and make you feel better!   You must be miserable right now.  I am so sorry.  You deserve a huge break.    When will they do the scan?  Keep us updated.  You know I worry!!    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »

Gah!!!!!  :grouphug;  This sucks!  I'm coughing like a smoker all the time at present too, can't laugh or I cough, woke up this morning coughing, but that's just asthma.  They tell me.  But it hurts, and I don't have a catheter. 

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:14 AM »

I've been coughing a lot too lately. even my mom has noticed.  I don't think it's anything serious, though.. This may be TMI for some, but my nose runs a lot, so I"m thinking it's just post nasal drip that I'm trying to cough up

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »