I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 11:16:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Had Good Laugh Last Night
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had Good Laugh Last Night  (Read 4913 times)
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« on: August 15, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »

Was watching "Star Trek IV:; The Voyage Home" last night. It was the one where they went back in time to 20th century Earth to get 2 humpback whales.
When they went to the hospital to find Checkov, Dr. McCoy walks past an elderly moaning woman on a gurney in the hall. He asks "What's your problem?" She answers "Kidney dialysis."
LOL Like dialysis was the disease. Shows what the general public knows of kidney disease.  Doc says "Dialysis? What is this? The Dark Ages?" and gives her a pill from his bag.
Later, as they  make their escape from the hospital, the pass the old lady...docs are wheeling her out in a wheelchair. Apparently she is being discharged. The docs are waving charts in front of each other murmuring "...complete recovery...fully functioning...unbelievable etc" The old lady is yelling "I'm cured!"

LOL. If only it were that easy in real life, huh?

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:27:04 AM »

I loved those scenes!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Dianejt

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »

gotta love sci-fi

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »

Was watching "Star Trek IV:; The Voyage Home" last night. It was the one where they went back in time to 20th century Earth to get 2 humpback whales.
When they went to the hospital to find Checkov, Dr. McCoy walks past an elderly moaning woman on a gurney in the hall. He asks "What's your problem?" She answers "Kidney dialysis."
LOL Like dialysis was the disease. Shows what the general public knows of kidney disease.  Doc says "Dialysis? What is this? The Dark Ages?" and gives her a pill from his bag....The old lady is yelling "I'm cured!"

It will be--someday.  I'm sure of that.

I'm sure that maybe 50 or 100 years from now, folks will consider dialysis to be a terribly primitive way to fight kidney failure.  Just as we now consider iron lungs to be a horribly primitive way to fight polio.

Remember, prior to 1954, poliomyelitis also had no cure and no prevention.  Many who caught the disease had to spend the rest of their lives in iron lungs--mechanical ventilators to breathe for them:

http://tinyurl.com/rkggp

Then in 1954, along came the polio vaccine--and the iron lungs mostly disappeared.

Dialysis is for ESRD what iron lungs were for polio.

RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

It will be--someday.  I'm sure of that.

I'm sure that maybe 50 or 100 years from now, folks will consider dialysis to be a terribly primitive way to fight kidney failure.  Just as we now consider iron lungs to be a horribly primitive way to fight polio.

I'm sure too. All we really need is a way to filter blood more on a cellular level with filters as small as in a real kidney. I believe nanotechnology will lead to this. Imagine an implantable mechanical kidney the same size as a real kidney yet more efficient. Or if we could clone live kidneys from our own cells that would not require the use of anti-rejection drugs.

Phil

What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »

I think there is a great potential in regenerative medicine....if you havent seen it check out this speech on TED...pretty amazing....

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/alan_russell_on_regenerating_our_bodies.html

1993 - Diagnosed with Alport Sindrome
April 2010 - Fistula surgery on right forearm
May 2010 - Started HD
Still waiting for the call!!!!!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »

When dialysis is no longer a profitable business, then maybe we will find a "cure" or a new, better treatment.  I hope so for the next generations.   :2thumbsup;      Wish we all could have one of those magic pills!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »

I'd be happy if I could regenerate my teeth  :laugh:

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:09:30 AM »

Didnt one of our members say ..nothing much had changed during the last 35 years !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Red from Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »

Interesting video.  One of the side bars was on Dean Kamen, who is my all-time hero!  He invented the PD dialysis machine that keeps me alive, the I-Bot, a wheel chair that can go upstairs, and now a functional robotic arm for those who have lost limbs or had them totally blown off.  What a guy!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »

Interesting video.  One of the side bars was on Dean Kamen, who is my all-time hero!  He invented the PD dialysis machine that keeps me alive, the I-Bot, a wheel chair that can go upstairs, and now a functional robotic arm for those who have lost limbs or had them totally blown off.  What a guy!

Also a water filtration system for third world countries. I love Dean Kamen, and see him as one of my heroes as well.  The Home Choice kept me alive for nearly 5 years.  His name was Luther.  He traveled with me to NYC twice.  Unfortunately, Air Canada killed him on my return home in May 2008.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »

His name was Luther.  He traveled with me to NYC twice.  Unfortunately, Air Canada killed him on my return home in May 2008.

Now, THAT begs for a story. What do you mean, Riki? Did an AC flight crash with him on it?

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »

His name was Luther.  He traveled with me to NYC twice.  Unfortunately, Air Canada killed him on my return home in May 2008.

Now, THAT begs for a story. What do you mean, Riki? Did an AC flight crash with him on it?

No.  They wouldn't allow me to keep him with me as carry on.  Somehow, when loading him on the plane, they turned the case upside down, and then put something really heavy on top.  I think the big, red fragile stickers made sure that something heavy was put on top of him too.  Anyway, they broke the case he was in, and broke the door off that holds the cassette in.  I was able to get a replacement the next day, female this time, named LB.  She never traveled with me, but served me well until I had to start hemo in December.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:33 AM »

There was another episode of Star Trek that now reminds me of ESRD.

In one episode of Star Trek (Original Series), the crew contracts this strange disease whose symptoms are rapid aging.  Like Captain Kirk starts having difficulty walking, he has bone pains, he has trouble thinking and remembering, just as if he were 75 years old.  So does Mr. Spock and others.

Sound familiar?

In a sense, we ESRD patients have also contracted a strange disease whose symptoms resemble aging:  Bone pains of course, some of us need canes or walkers to get around.  Our thinking and ability to concentrate may be clouded.  Our memories may be impaired.  We may get heart trouble.  And our lifespans are shortened.

Maybe the strange disease that Captain Kirk caught was ESRD.   :-)
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »

My other favorite Dialysis scene is during the first season of "Scrubs" where an elderly woman decides not to go on Dialysis because she's already had a full life.  J.D. can't accept this, so he comes up with a list of things she should do before she dies, and it turns out she's done them all.  The whole storyline involving their interaction in that episode is written quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn--7WFOlx8

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

LOL Like dialysis was the disease. Shows what the general public knows of kidney disease.  Doc says "Dialysis? What is this? The Dark Ages?" and gives her a pill from his bag.
Later, as they  make their escape from the hospital, the pass the old lady...docs are wheeling her out in a wheelchair. Apparently she is being discharged. The docs are waving charts in front of each other murmuring "...complete recovery...fully functioning...unbelievable etc" The old lady is yelling "I'm cured!"

I'd  like  one  of those  magic  pills!!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:49:15 PM by Marina » Logged

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
calypso

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »

I'd  like  one  of those  magic  pills!!!!!!!!! :2thumbsup;

I'll take several million pls. There are some ppl I wanna share with. Everyone.

It's party time! lol

On the topic of Sci fi. Look back in the original series their handheld communicators were science fiction, now we have cell phones....heck mini computers with internet access even, handheld.

They had handheld lasers. We now have handheld lasers that can burn you, or blind you. The military has lasers that can kill by burning a hole through the retina of the eye and into the brain. They also have that laser on a 747 that can kill from afar. So yeah Sci-Fi can become Sci-Real before you know it so yeah I think we will lick this disease someday as well.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »

The mp3 player was created by someone who watched an episode of ST:TNG where Data is listening to several different musical pieces, and had a huge database from which to choose on his computer.

There's a lot of stuff that came about because of Star Trek... There was a documentary about it on Discovery, called How William Shatner Changed the World.  It's actually a good documentary, even if it's hosted by Bill, he can be very funny sometimes.

I kinda forgot about that scene.  I really need to watch those movies again.  The pill that cures kidney disease makes 2 things I want from Star Trek.  The other is a transporter. I hate being 1000kms away and in a different country than my best friend.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
casper2636

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »

God, do I want one of those magic pills, and the transporter! I want to go back and live my life  :)healthier, and keep in condition and not take what I have been given for granted. Thats what I love about science fiction - it always gives us hope
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 07:17:59 PM »

God, do I want one of those magic pills, and the transporter! I want to go back and live my life  :)healthier, and keep in condition and not take what I have been given for granted. Thats what I love about science fiction - it always gives us hope
I've got primary FSGS.  My nephs never did figure out just what caused my FSGS.

Even if I could step into a time machine and go back in time and live my life over again, I wouldn't know what I should do any differently.  Maybe I was just fated to get FSGS no matter what I did.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »