I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:19:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Diabetics on hemo - what does a session do to your blood sugar?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diabetics on hemo - what does a session do to your blood sugar?  (Read 16335 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« on: December 07, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »

Mine can be pretty brittle - I've got more ups and downs than a roller coaster some days.  I've been looking for old posts about this, but all I've found is this . ..

I have diabetes 1 and the hemo-dialysis machine does lower your sugar when you are connected. Some people donīt take insulin before dialysis. Talk to your doctor. I know my diabetes is lower now than before - on and off the machine. Also, as we have diet changes with kidney failure and we sometimes suffer from nausea, that would also account for a possible lower sugar level. At least itīs that way with me.

. . .but there's a big difference between lowering my sugar and bottoming out.  How often do you check it during dialysis?  Does it just drop a little or do you have to have glucose tabs or something sweet while you are hooked up?  I start Monday, and I'm just wondering how prepared I need to be for the sugar rush.

On the other hand, stress makes my sugar go up - so this may not be a problem at all the first few times. . .  :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »

Just make sure you tell the nurse or tech that you may need your bloodsugar tested during your run. They usually have that tester thingy. Also should bring something if allowed.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:40:47 AM »

I don't know if they test Joe's BG during hemo, but I can say that overall, his levels have never been this good!  It's weird.  He usually takes insulin twice a day, but sometimes he doesn't have to take any, and sometimes a very reduced amount. 

The one good thing that's happened because of dialysis.   :lol;  (Well, besides letting him live a little longer!)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »

The kidneys help metabolize insulin, so when your renal function is inadequate, as it is on dialysis, which only provides 10% of normal renal function, the insulin is used up in the body less quickly than it wold with two healthy kidneys.  The result is that circulating levels of insulin remain higher for a longer time, which tends to improve blood sugar control.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

I am not diabetic.

However once I did contact Baxter about the glucose in the dialysate solution.  I was told that during hemo some is removed from the body but with what is in the solution is should all equal out.

Maybe someone knows more on this???
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »

What happens to your blood sugar during a dialysis session is a function of how much background insulin you are taking, how much rapidly-acting insulin you have taken and how soon before dialysis you took it, how soon before dialysis you last ate, how active you have been, and how much you have eaten, whether you have an infection or not, etc.  All the normal factors that continue to influence blood sugar fluctuations throughout the day will continue to be operative during dialysis.  Also, not all dialysate manufacturers seem to have the same opinon of what represents a physiological blood sugar level, so some add more, some less to the mixture.  Generally, my experience has been that blood sugar drifts upward during a four-to-five hour treatment by about 50% of what it was to start.
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »

I'm on an insulin pump and i have noticed my sugars to slightly go up, So the doctor has me set my pump to deliver 120% while i do my treatments. That seems to work pretty good.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:18:56 PM »

Oooh, flashback post.  I put this up before I started - I've been on over a year now.  After worrying about it, I've found that my sugars don't do much of anything when I'm on dialysis.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:28:57 PM »

I always ate at my dialysis session, so I knew my blood sugar wuld go up. I kept a diary of my reading before starting and after. The problems I had where on the days I didn't have dialysis., which usually meant an ER visit 1 to 3 times a week most times for a severe hypo episode or while with someone. Diabetes became harder to control while on dialysis, but the insulin pump helped. Hard part was not feeling a low come on, or I wake up with one (before pump). That was very hard and  disorientating to get around when that happened. I couldn't walk, barely move, couldn't see right, didn't know exactly where I was or what day or time, but knew the number for my mom's work, but not 911 ??? :urcrazy;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Wallyz

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »

NX stage has  a100 mg/dl of glucose, so if I have any insulin in me, it goes low and I have  a glycogen release.  If it happens early enough, I go back down before I wake up.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »