I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  I am shocked at what they are charging our Insurance company
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am shocked at what they are charging our Insurance company  (Read 6123 times)
vcarmody

« on: July 29, 2010, 10:23:18 PM »

I was floored when I seen that our center is charging my husbands insurance company $720.00 a treatment.  When he was in center it was only $360.00 a treatment 3x's a week.  Now that we are home with NxStage they are charging $4320.00 a week and 440.00 once a week for his Epo shot, that is not including charges for his Neph and lab work.  His insurance company pays 100% of the charges so they are dishing out more then $5,000.00 a week just for ME to do my husbands treatments, and to top it off they made me buy my own chair and blood pressure machine.  I questioned the charges and they kinda got huffy about it, said that that's what Blue Cross Blue Shield told them they can charge.  When we seen how much they were charging we decided that we wanted to cut down to 5 treatments a week in the hopes to save the insurance company some money, but they gave him a hard time and told him he signed a contact stating he would do 6 treatments a week and if it was to much he was gonna have to go back in center.  He don't want to go back in center, but we are concerned that his insurance company will find a way to cancel him because of his medical bills (he averages about 50,000 a month or more with his on going foot issue).  I know people will say they can't cancel him, but my husband went out on disability from his company in April 2009, his company closed up 5 months later in Sept 09 and luckily he is still collecting disability from them and still has his medical insurance.   Does anyone else know what there center charges them a treatment?  Does $720.00 seem a little steep for one treatment?

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »

So much for being able to make your own personal medical decisions.  Someone is making a lot of money out of your husband's illness.  And your post illustrates the fallacy behind having employers pay for workers' medical insurance.  I don't understand why we tolerate this system.  I always thought that America was supposed to be pro-business, but burdening companies with this black-holish expense is crippling to business, and in this economy, companies are trying to trim their costs, so I am not surprised that you are worried about your situation.

I don't have any answers for you, only righteous indignation!!!! >:(

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »

In a way it doesn't surprise me. In Australia the govt spends around $83,000/year on hemo dialysis/patient. That includes epo, iron etc. I've seen somewhere the actual cost to the govt per epo shot, and it's absolutely in the hundreds of dollars. I'm so glad to pay my taxes in this country that provide all of that for very little out of pocket.

:ausflag;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:11:36 AM »

Davita LOVED Otto's private ins, charged them 60,000 a MONTH. What a F#$%^&* joke................

silverhead

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »

Davita has been moving into our area the past couple of years, and they will welcome you with open arms if you have private insurance, if you are on Medicare only they suddenly have no room for you.......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:40:48 AM »

Private insurance policies do pay more for dialysis treatment than Medicare, sometimes a lot more.

That being said, what the dialysis center charges and what an insurance policy pays can be very different, depending on their negotiated rate.  Medicare pays 80% --but only on the Medicare rate.  My center charges Medicare $1,000 per treatment, but Medicare's rate is around $140.00 per treatment (not including drugs).

On my "Explanation of Benefits" form, Medicare was charged $16,240.06 for one month of dialysis including drugs and supplies.  But near the end of the statement in the "Notes" section, it reads the amount Medicare paid the provider for this claim is $2,059.15

Always look for "we paid ..." to know for sure the final amount.

8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:42:03 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
rocker

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:54:49 AM »

So much for being able to make your own personal medical decisions.  Someone is making a lot of money out of your husband's illness.

I wonder who!  In 2004, the CEO of United Healthcare was paid $125 million.  $125,000,000.00.  Over a TENTH OF A BILLION DOLLARS.  For one year.

Someone broke that down into his hourly rate.  $65,100.00/hr.

I wonder what the CEO of DaVita makes.  Probably a salary that's simply ludicrous, instead of completely surreal.

There are a lot of ways for insurance and medical companies to become more efficient that don't involve endangering your health, as someone else suggested.

And your post illustrates the fallacy behind having employers pay for workers' medical insurance.  I don't understand why we tolerate this system.  I always thought that America was supposed to be pro-business, but burdening companies with this black-holish expense is crippling to business, and in this economy, companies are trying to trim their costs, so I am not surprised that you are worried about your situation.

You don't seem to be aware that no company in the US is forced to provide insurance to employees.  Those that do so, do so at their own discretion.  And given that few states have must-sell or must-carry laws, in some states it is nearly impossible for a small business to buy a policy for one or two employees.  And of course, no small policy will take you if you have a pre-existing condition....like, say, kidney disease.

And businesses don't pay taxes on the money they spend on health insurance - but you do.

I don't have any answers for you, only righteous indignation!!!! >:(

Righteous indignation is fine - just direct it where it is deserved.
rocker

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »

Ok, I got interested and looked it up.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/12/IPFN.html

A relative pauper, at  compensation of $27,880,000.00 last year.

Wonder how many treatments that would pay for.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:11 AM »

rocker, I am indeed very cognizant of the fact that employers are not forced to carry their workers' insurance, which illustrates my point that this hodgepodge of benefit allocation is daft.  I don't understand why businesses have to be in the business (lol!) of providing insurance in the first place.  It's a holdover from earlier days when there were ceilings on wages, and providing medical insurance was a perk and nothing more.  But now that medical insurance is essential, well, that changes the dynamic entirely.  It narrows the opportunities for small businesses to employ good people, and it hampers choice of employment for workers.  How many people are trapped in jobs they don't like because they can't afford to risk their family's insurance coverage by making a move that could be a better career choice?  This country is supposed to be about freedom, but our current medical insurance system traps us all.

It's goverment by corporation.  We've long ceased to be a democracy. Money rules.  If you have it, you have power.  If you have it, you get elected.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
johnwoon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »

RAI was charging me around $32,000.00 per month for in-center dialysis and when I started Home hemo on the Nxstage machine with a pureflow they billed my insurance company around $35,000.00 per month.  This was for a average of 5-6 treatment per week, I am on 3 days and then 1 day off.  I think they billed my insurance company that much to cover all the people on dialysis that do not have insurance.
vcarmody

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »

Zach my husbands insurance pays 100% of what ever they bill. For example they billed his insurance company $14,098.00 for June 7th to June 30th, this was for 13 NxStage treatments, 2 in center so he could get his 2 iron infusion and 4 epo shots.  His insurance paid all $14,098.00, they have always paid 100% of what ever is billed.  Now his Neph charged 500.00 for his one monthly visit, but they only pay him $249.00 which is considered payment in full because he offers a discount rate to Blue Cross Blue Shield.  I think even when my husbands Medicare kicks in in 2012 and becomes primary they will still get the full amount because they will bill what ever Medicare don't pay to his BC/BS.  Just seems like an outrageous amount of money to me.   

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
rocker

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »

rocker, I am indeed very cognizant of the fact that employers are not forced to carry their workers' insurance, which illustrates my point that this hodgepodge of benefit allocation is daft.

Then I misinterpreted what you were saying.  And I couldn't agree more.

I don't understand why businesses have to be in the business (lol!) of providing insurance in the first place.  It's a holdover from earlier days when there were ceilings on wages, and providing medical insurance was a perk and nothing more.  But now that medical insurance is essential, well, that changes the dynamic entirely.  It narrows the opportunities for small businesses to employ good people, and it hampers choice of employment for workers.  How many people are trapped in jobs they don't like because they can't afford to risk their family's insurance coverage by making a move that could be a better career choice?  This country is supposed to be about freedom, but our current medical insurance system traps us all.

It's goverment by corporation.  We've long ceased to be a democracy. Money rules.  If you have it, you have power.  If you have it, you get elected.

I agree - and with so many people getting filthy rich off denying care in the current system, there's little incentive for those at the top to change it.

- rocker
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

Here's and old lawsuit about the topic:

Thursday, January 17, 2008
National Renal Alliance sues Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
ATLANTA BUSINESS CHRONICLE - BY Urvaksh Karkaria STAFF WRITER
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2008/01/14/daily30.html

Bill also wrote about this on his blog, "Dialysis from the Sharp End of the Needle" (DSEN):
Dialysis lawsuit reveals prices
http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2008/01/law-suit-reveal.html

Bill makes this recent request on his blog:

" ... I think it would be a good project for DSEN to have dialyzors send in their Explanation of Benefits. You'd strip off, black out, redact any personal info e.g. name, SS #, but leave the amount charged, the amount paid, and service location.

I'd then republish the info - if a couple hundred dialyzors participated it would be a pretty interesting data base."

Let's help Bill get this data base started!

8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:50:36 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

RainingRoses

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:13:56 PM »

Not unusual for me to see a $35,000 per month charge for home dialysis with PD.

Finally Diagnosed 6/2001 Alport's Syndrome
CAPD 10/ 2006
Listed on UNOS 7/2007
CCPD  10/2007
Peritonitis & Hemo 10/2009
CCPD 2/2010
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »

I've heard about $10,000 + a treatment being paid - over a million a year.

It would cause a few waves if we did put together a data base. What people are being charged/what the companies are being paid, is suppose to be secrete information.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »

It's like play money, what is charged and what is paid - it's a joke.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:55 PM »

Of course the problem with the data base would be that vcarmody's provider would realize they could charge 10 times more than their already inflated prices.  I think a lot of providers - those charging just $700/treatment - would realize they're leaving money on the table.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »

Of course the problem with the data base would be that vcarmody's provider would realize they could charge 10 times more than their already inflated prices.  I think a lot of providers - those charging just $700/treatment - would realize they're leaving money on the table.

But perhaps the insurance companies might decide to reimburse say at Medicare plus 20% or Medicare plus 10%, and save themselves a ton of money.

8)

I make films.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »