I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  High Arterial Pressure.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Arterial Pressure.  (Read 4765 times)
vcarmody

« on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »

My husband and I are still new to this whole Nxstage thing.  We had a problem today they I could not seem to fix and I am hoping someone here can help me if it happens again.  We just stated using new cartridges lot #0047707 and so far we have had a problem every treatment. The first one we used we got alarm code 86 after following all the instruction in the book we got it again and had to replace the cartridge.  Every other one so far we have had high arterial pressure, not to high but high enough to alarm and make us lower our blood flow which we normally do at 450, we have had to stay at 440. Today we were able to get to 450 no problem and his arterial pressure was under 200, then about 45 minutes into treatment it went up to about 230. I repositioned the needle a few times even flipped it but we still were getting high pressure.  Then I reset the pressure pod (my first time doing this)  his pressure was still high, but I realized I did it wrong and attached to monitoring line before I hit treatment, so I did it again, this time correctly.  then his pressure was only like 30 and the access pressure pod was full of saline and not blood, I am not sure what I did wrong, but I knew something was not right so I reset it again.  Pressure pod was full of blood but his pressure was still high so I just did a manual rinse back.  I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there was anything else I could have done, or if you have any suggestions?  Any input would be appreciated.   

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
silverhead

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »

I would definitely talk to the NxStage techs about this cartridge lot problem, they may be aware of this and can send you a new different lot, I've never run into a 86 code, but looked it up and it sounds like  a cart problem, not something you are doing wrong.  Slowing down to 440 is really insignificant if it cures the pressure problem, heck going down to 400 is fine if it means you can finish the session......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
vcarmody

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:00:28 AM »

We got an answer to the high pressure.  It seems that my husbands vein has either decided to bend or narrow per the vascular surgeon, he is going to have a fistula gram next week.   I have started a new button hole and so far no more pressure problems.  It was so weird because we would run at say 400 for a while then get and alarm for high pressure, then I would lower it and we would be good for a little while and then the pressure would skyrocket again and again I would lower the pressure and so it went for a whole treatment,  It was almost like his  vein was saying get this damn needle out of here.. LOL
I did call NxStage, the second day I had the problem and they told me it sounded like an access problem to them (the tech from NxStage was shocked that we have been home for 6 months and have never called them for any problems).  The Tech was very helpful which is big relief sense I am still not all that confident when we have a problem.   

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
M3Riddler

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »

My husband and I are still new to this whole Nxstage thing.  We had a problem today they I could not seem to fix and I am hoping someone here can help me if it happens again.  We just stated using new cartridges lot #0047707 and so far we have had a problem every treatment. The first one we used we got alarm code 86 after following all the instruction in the book we got it again and had to replace the cartridge.  Every other one so far we have had high arterial pressure, not to high but high enough to alarm and make us lower our blood flow which we normally do at 450, we have had to stay at 440. Today we were able to get to 450 no problem and his arterial pressure was under 200, then about 45 minutes into treatment it went up to about 230. I repositioned the needle a few times even flipped it but we still were getting high pressure.  Then I reset the pressure pod (my first time doing this)  his pressure was still high, but I realized I did it wrong and attached to monitoring line before I hit treatment, so I did it again, this time correctly.  then his pressure was only like 30 and the access pressure pod was full of saline and not blood, I am not sure what I did wrong, but I knew something was not right so I reset it again.  Pressure pod was full of blood but his pressure was still high so I just did a manual rinse back.  I'm hoping someone here can tell me if there was anything else I could have done, or if you have any suggestions?  Any input would be appreciated.

VCarmody,

We have recieved the 86 alarm a few times. If you receive this alarm at the beginning of prime, just power cycler off and back on.
Also, the cartridge may not be seated correctly in the cycler. Usually the power off/back on works. If you still get alarm, then replace with new cartridge.

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »

Hope the fistulagram went well.  We had those issues and my wife ended up with 4 stents in that kinked cephalic vein before it scarred shut.  She had a basilic vein transposition in June (which is about as rough as fistula surgeries get) and it is working well now.  Hope your fix is simple.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »

VC...we also had arterial pressure problems with lot 47707.  I actually returned a couple of used cartridges to NxStage for them to look at. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »