I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:37:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Film-buff-question.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film-buff-question.  (Read 1524 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: July 23, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »

Has anyone studied the film “Lost Horizon” (1937) by Frank Capra?

It is said to be a Classic and in recent years a huge amount of money and effort went into its restoration and re-issue.
I find this film very odd and I wonder if anyone can explain it?
For example: it seemed to be a mixture of great film-making and excruciatingly embarrassing scenes.
The history of the scene with the old priest was extensively thought out and it is obviously a classic scene.
Yet there is a much longer sequence where Ronald Colman chases on horse-back Jane Wyatt on a white horse no less, and she bathes naked in a pool by a waterfall whilst Ronald Colman, discovering her discarded clothes proceeds to assemble them in a scare-crow-like manner using a flower for her face (crinch, crinch...)
Thw schizophrenic character of this film is most unlike the classic films of the 1930’s which are consistent in their character and substance.
The film does not seem to be greatly entertaining and the dialogue is hardly thought-provoking.
So, why is there such a fuss over this strange film?
Can anyone explain why Frank Capra directed such an odd film? It is said that it is an anti-war-film, but the material does not warrant it to be called that.
Frank Capra also directed “Mr. Deeds goes to town” which may not be a classic, but the story-line and the directing of it is consistent throughout.

In comparison I can appreciate the money and effort spent on both making, and restoring the films by Murnau because they are indeed great classics.
But I cannot understand the fuss made of “Lost Horizon”. Am I missing something?
Thanks, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »