I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  restless legs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: restless legs  (Read 15521 times)
fireguy

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

Pets  are a blessing :D
susie q

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 04:15:41 PM »

I know my 2 dogs cheer me up some days when nothing else can...

I think we have quite a few doglovers here.. :) ;D
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2006, 08:34:13 PM »

I know my 2 dogs cheer me up some days when nothing else can...

I think we have quite a few doglovers here.. :) ;D

Yes, we do.  We have 4 Shih Tzu and 1 Shih Tzu mix.  My husband had never before bonded w/ a dog -- he and our 11 year old Shih Tzu are now inseparable.  She was an anniversary gift to me, from him, but she decided from the first day that he belonged to her -- it took her a few years but she won him over!  He has taught her to stay on the bed while he is in his chair watching TV, or on his computer, so that will be a way to keep her from getting in the way during dialysis.  She is so jealous and possessive she watches me very closely if I even touch him, so when I start assisting him w/ dialysis it may get interesting!

Actually, my only worry is him being very upset and depressed when she dies.  I suggested she be cremated when she dies and her ashes saved until they are put in his casket -- that seemed to please him.  God, how he loves that dog!!  His heart will be broken. :'(

BTW, we discussed RLS on our last visit w/ the Neph.  He said there are three different kinds of meds he could prescribe but said that unless it was really a problem he'd rather not give any meds, because of probable side effects.  Hubby said it's not that bad yet and he can handle it at the current level -- not severe nor often.  Oh, the joys of kidney failure. :-[

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Panda_9

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 04:45:27 AM »

I used to have rls really badly and was started on clonazepam. Helped for about a month but after that did bugger all so I stopped it. I also get alot of pain in my feet, and yucky numb tingling sort of feelings. I started on gabapentin about 4 months ago and it has worked really quite good. It helps me sleep, my feet are alot less painful/tingly, and the restless legs is only very minimal, and sometimes none at all. I sleep alot better now, and so does my fiance!
romeokdg

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 09:36:08 AM »

I have had RLS forever even before I was diagnosed with ESRD. My DR told me to take 400 IU vitiman E once a day.
It worked for me. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:39:17 AM by romeokdg » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »

I have had RLS forever even before I was diagnosed with ESRD. My DR told me to take 400 IU vitiman E once a day.
I was told not to take vit E when you have no kidney function :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
romeokdg

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »

I have had RLS forever even before I was diagnosed with ESRD. My DR told me to take 400 IU vitamin E once a day.
   I haven't heard that but will look in to it. Also another thing that helped me was an old remedy that my Grandmother used to use was Rubbing alcohol. Just rub your legs down before bed with the alcohol . Hope this helps
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »

I have had RLS forever even before I was diagnosed with ESRD. My DR told me to take 400 IU vitamin E once a day.
   I haven't heard that but will look in to it. Also another thing that helped me was an old remedy that my Grandmother used to use was Rubbing alcohol. Just rub your legs down before bed with the alcohol . Hope this helps
Wouldn't that dry out your skin a lot?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
romeokdg

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »

just put lotion on after you get out of the shower. It hasn't dried my skin out and I have been doing it for years.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 08:12:23 AM »

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/1999/03_99/evidente.htm

This is from March of 1999 but I think it has some very good general information on RLS.  It goes into a good bit of detail on causes and treatments -- I was surprised how many alternatives there are to try.  I also found it interesting that 10% to 15% of the general population is affected. :o

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Panda_9

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2006, 03:37:55 AM »

My doc said there are alot of options for treating RLS. I now know that the gabapentin is what has stopped my restless legs. I went without it all weekend, as I couldnt get to the pharmacy, and OH MY GOD they came back soooo bad and it felt like needles were jabbing in all over my feet. Ask your doctor about gabapentin, cant recommend it enough.
billable

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2006, 05:52:15 AM »

I have researched this problem in depth for quite some time. The gabapentin has helped Denise a lot. Also uses Tylenol#3 at night.
The Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is one problem, but she developed a related problem where she would jerk or twitch (myoclonus), especially at night when she would try to sleep. If you are interested in the technical aspects, you will get better information if you search the technical terms than if you use layman's terms.
Google "nocturnal myoclonus secondary to ESRD" and different variations of those terms. Here is a site that you may want to print and take to your physician if you are having problems getting someone to help you. The site requires registration and is really for doctors, so some of it may be hard to understand. It isn't for you to treat yourself, but to provide information to your physician to see if it might apply to you
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/543705
If you want the short version, RLS in people with kidney failure seems to be related to anemia, iron deficiency and uremia. Clonazepam, neurontin (gabapentin), sinemet and narcotics are all medicines that are options for your physician to consider according to the best information available.

Remember that this isn't medical advice. This is a tool to help you discuss your care with your physician.

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
Panda_9

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 03:16:06 AM »

I found the clonazepam wasnt all that effective and just left me feeling like a zombie the next day. The gabapentin has greatly reduced the pain, tingling, and restlessness in my legs and feet. It also helps me have a good nights sleep, without feeling too zonked out in the morning. I have found it is better to take it mid morning, so by bedtime it is well and truely kicked. I am on nocturnal Dx though, so times would change if you were on conventional, as gabapentin dialyses out which is the only thing I dont like about it. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 09:54:15 PM »

Haha Rerun... I tried the bar of soap... didn't work worth a damn... but my bed sure smelled nice!!!   ;)

I was talking with a friend tonight (non-kidney related discussion) and she mentioned she had terrible leg cramps and got no relief, no matter what she tried. It would wake her out a dead sleep with intense pain. So she was told to put a bar of soap under the sheet, and has slept well the last 4 nights with no problem. I wonder if it will last.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »

When I had RLS the doc gave my Sinemet and it's worked great.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
RobinM

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2008, 05:25:09 PM »

I've had rest leg syndrome in the past couple years, usually in the evening when I'm tired and when I've been sitting in the same position for awhile.  I've also found that certain meds trigger it for me:  Benadryl, Atarax (Benadryl's big brother) and Tylenol PM. 

Stretching excercises and walking help get rid of it for me.  When I have to take Atarax (for the Lupus rashes I get sometimes) and it triggers the rls, I take a valium in the evening.  Between the Atarax and the valium, it knocks me out.

Robin

devon

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »

For what it's worth, I did my own little informal experiment and found that drinking 8 ounces of Tonic Water really did seem to help with the restless legs problem.  I get relief within 10 minutes.  Perhaps it was the getting up and walking to the kitchen, I don't know.  But, the relief came quickly thereafter.

-Devon
Lilu323

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »

Ive been having this problem. It has happened 3 times now and its scaring me now. I start feeling my legs start getting very tight. Then it spreads to my arms and the rest of my body. All of a sudden I feel like I just came back from 10 hours at the gym. Then the scary part happens. I try to get up and my legs become wobbly and brittle and I cant walk. I see that I am shaking and feeling like I am losing control of my body. I get help to start moving around and a couple of minutes later I am fine. I am either always laying down or sitting when it hits me. My last episode my feet felt like thousand of needles where going into them. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
devon

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2008, 06:21:02 AM »

Lilu,  I don't think that's the same as "restless leg syndrome".  You should confer with a physician about this.  It could be a chemical imbalance.

RLS is more limited to the legs.  What I get is a painful sort of aching in my leg muscles and the urge to move my legs even though I am lying prone.  It's like I have to "walk" while I am in bed.  Very uncomfortable but not anything as severe as what you describe.  It doesn't go to other parts of my body, like arms and torso.

I hope you find some relief.  It sounds very distressing.

-Devon
Lilu323

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »

Devon, thanks for the response. I go to the sauna and my sister things its from that. Im going to my doctor next week. Its very distressing. Very sacry.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »

Did you know that anemia can cause restless leg sydrome?
I'm sure there are many reasons for RLS, but consider checking your hemo levels to rule it out.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Lilu323

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »

Hey sunny,
yeah i checked those levels and there were fine. I use to be anemic but not anymore.thanks for the advice though
devon

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2008, 07:47:37 AM »

Lilu?  Any news?  Are you still having this problem?

-Devon
Lilu323

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2008, 05:28:36 PM »

I am going to see the doctor tomorrow. I started working yesterday and at work I got that tight shaky feeling in my legs for a little bit. I got up and started walking and it always makes it better. I was all wobbly when I walked my co worker was like please dont fall. After a few min. of walking back and fourth it was better.Thanks for asking Devon. I just wish I knew why I get this.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2008, 05:43:34 PM »

Are you diabetic Lilu?  Could this be peripheral neuropathy?
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »