I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  A good thing to do
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A good thing to do  (Read 4268 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: December 05, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »

EDITED: Topic moved to Proper section. "Other Severe Medical Conditions" - Epoman, Admin/Owner

My good friend and boss has been ill with stage 4 colon cancer for almost a year.  If you are 50 or over and haven't had a full colonoscopy please go and do it.  Colon cancer has a 95% cure rate when caught in its early stages.

My friend's problem inspired me to make an appointment for the test.  It was done this morning and quite frankly was a piece of cake.  Not eating for a day and a half wasn't so much fun but we made up for it at the Elephant Bar shortly after walking out of the hospital.

Anyway the results were good which is a large load off of my mind.  Again if you are 50 or over just go and have it done.  It could save your life.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:43:57 PM by Epoman » Logged
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 07:32:59 PM »

Good advice. Thanks for the heads up livecam :beer1;
sandman

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 09:56:20 PM »

An old friend of mine had that done a few years ago when she hit 50.  Sad thing is, she had to go in for it twice as the first time, the doctor said that she was not clean enough so the second time around, they told her not to eat for 3 days and had to take laxatives.  :o
gizmar

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 08:21:33 PM »

That really is good advice.  I actually did the colonoscopy and they took out 6 polyps that could have potentially been problematic.  Now I make a point of redoing the procedure every year.  There is history of colon cancer in my family and you're right - it's preventable.  The worst part of the whole thing is the prep.  The test itself is a breeze and if you ask for meds, it's actually kinda fun - yaaahooooo

Giz
nextnoel

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 06:47:36 AM »

Seriously, do have a colonoscopy if you're 50 or above, or have any symptoms.  Colon cancer runs in my family, and due to regular checks, that's one less thing I have to worry about.  Peace of mind is priceless!

The preparation isn't fun, but it isn't so bad, either, and the test is so easy that it's totally not worth a moment's worry!  Last time, my doctor let me watch on the TV monitor thingy, and it was interesting, but I was disappointed that there were no cartoons afterward.  Oh, well, it isn't a perfect world.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 01:24:07 PM »

No one likes people looking up there you know what but it has to be done.
sandman

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »

The preparation isn't fun, but it isn't so bad, either, and the test is so easy that it's totally not worth a moment's worry!

How long did you have to go without eating before the test?
nextnoel

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »

First time around, I was supposed to have soft foods (scrambled eggs, cream soups, for instance) for 2 days, then only liquids the day before the test, and then take Industrial Strength Prescription Laxatives the evening before, so I would be clean as a whistle for the test.  I cheated and ignored the soft foods part, and the result was that the laxatives nearly blew my innards out!  Then for subsequent times, I was scrupulous in following the dietary restrictions, and it was no problem at all.  Then I got diabetes and couldn't do that day with only liquids, so I increased the number of soft food days I do, and try to minimize what I eat the day before the test.  The laxatives still finish cleaning me out, but more days on soft food help prevent the dreaded "explosive effect", so the process is easy. 

I can't believe how scared so many people are of the test, because it's actually such a non-problem to have it!

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 06:44:04 PM »

The test really is no big thing at all.  I heard about the not remembering anything all day and not being allowed to drive after and was a bit worried about that.  My wife drove but amazingly my memory wasn't affected.  I didn't remember anything happening after they started the IV sedation but after the test I woke right up and started talking and wanting to leave.  When we left I was supposed to take a wheelchair but told them to forget it and just walked out to the car three stories up on a parking structure.  After a very welcome lunch I was out in the garage the rest of the afternoon working on fun stuff. 
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »

How big is the scope?  The idea of that test scares me (but not as much as the mammogram!).

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
nextnoel

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 11:30:32 AM »

Really, Sara, don't worry!  After each of my first 5 tests, my daughter would meet me at the doctor's office (they won't let you leave alone), and we would walk to the local all-you-can-eat buffet (they lost money on those days, for sure!), then walked the rest of the way home (about 5 blocks, and because of disk problems, I have trouble walking!).  I could easily have gone to work for the rest of the day, but I always indulged myself instead.

Then I moved to the suburbs (I miss the city a lot, but the 'burbs are certainly quieter).  Now after the test, my daughter and I go down to the Chinese restaurant in the same building as my doctor's office, then drive home.  Last time, while we were eating, in came the doctor & several of his colleagues! 

With IV sedation or with nothing, I have never even had any discomfort!  I'm amazed every time!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »