I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Dialysis patient's 20-year anniversary a rare event
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis patient's 20-year anniversary a rare event  (Read 2642 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 21, 2010, 01:03:34 AM »

Published: July 20, 2010

Home / lifestyles /
Dialysis patient's 20-year anniversary a rare event
By Peggy Ussery

Long-term dialysis patients often become overwhelmed with medical treatments.

Her 13 grandchildren keep Debra Reynolds going.

There have been times when she didn’t want to keep going. After 20 years on dialysis, not too many people would blame her. Reynolds, now 50, hit her 20-year mark a few weeks ago at Dialysis Clinic Inc. in Dothan.

“Of course, there have been days where I wanted to die,” Reynolds said. “I got tired of coming here.”

It’s a rare anniversary. Most dialysis patients do not remain on the treatment nearly that long. Dialysis treatments are done three times a week, and each treatment can take about four hours.

“Good news is if you take very good care of yourself you’ll live longer ...,” said Dr. Les Spry, a spokesperson for the National Kidney Foundation. “It is distinctly unusual to have a 20-year dialysis patient in-center.”

Reynolds is currently on a transplant waiting list with UAB. Her kidney disease is hereditary — a cousin and an uncle both died of the illness. Reynolds was 30 and had just delivered her second set of twins at UAB when she was diagnosed.

The Dothan woman’s illness is known as chronic glomerulonephritis — part of a group of disorders that cause inflammation and injury to the part of the kidney that filters blood, according to the National Kidney Foundation. The disorders are the third most common cause of chronic kidney disease after diabetes and high blood pressure.

Dialysis filters a patient’s blood when their kidneys no longer can. Patients with acute kidney failure may only need dialysis for a short while until the kidneys heal. But patients with chronic or end stage kidney failure, such as Reynolds, will need dialysis the rest of their lives unless they get a kidney transplant.

Annie Maddox with Dialysis Clinic Inc. said the number of patients on dialysis as long as Reynolds is low. Compliance with treatment, diet and other medical recommendations are all key to how long a patient can live on dialysis, Maddox said. But, she said, after years on dialysis, patients grow weary of the treatments.

“It just gets overwhelming,” Maddox said.

Even Reynolds has stopped dialysis in the past. But she returned to treatment after others encouraged her to keep fighting.

Spry with the kidney foundation said it’s more common for patients to remain on dialysis for years if they do home dialysis. Life expectancy with end stage kidney failure is longer for those who have a genetic kidney disease or receive a transplant.

Along with her five living children and her many grandchildren, Reynolds said her faith helps her keep going.

“God is good,” she said. “And he’s been good to me.”
-------------
Did you know?
- More than 520,000 Americans were being treated for kidney failure by the end of 2007.
- Also, nearly 370,000 residents with kidney failure received dialysis with the vast majority of those in dialysis centers around the country.
- There were 17,513 kidney transplants done in 2007 with more than 11,446 of those from deceased donors. The rest were from living donors.
- Only 10 percent of patients are likely to survive on dialysis for 10 years. Survival rates are much higher for patients who receive a kidney transplant.
Source: National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/lifestyles/2010/jul/20/dialysis-patients-20-year-anniversary-a-rare-event-ar-603275/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:06:46 AM »

Sorry but I do not like this article. It seems to have a message (specially with the subject line) that is overly negative. If I was starting dialysis and looking at it as a possibly long term situation this article would get me down. Yes, it has to be factual, but it definitely seems a bit biased to me. We know plenty of folks who have gone longer on D and been fine. If I read this when I was just starting I might think to myself "Well what's the point of even starting if it's just going to mean hassle after hassle and I'll be dead soon anyway?"

just my three cents worth.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:05:57 AM »

Annie Maddox with Dialysis Clinic Inc. said the number of patients on dialysis as long as Reynolds is low. Compliance with treatment, diet and other medical recommendations are all key to how long a patient can live on dialysis, Maddox said. But, she said, after years on dialysis, patients grow weary of the treatments.

“It just gets overwhelming,” Maddox said.

Talk about low expectations!
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »