I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Nausea and vomiting
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nausea and vomiting  (Read 36205 times)
dialysismomma

« on: July 20, 2010, 04:26:32 AM »

Ok here is my question.. is random nausea normal? This morning he woke up at 430 am and he was very nauseated. He sat on the side of the bed burping for several mins and then ran to the bathroom to vomit and all he vomits up is bile. That disgusting yellow green stuff that smells horriable and taste even worse. I just dont know what to do to help him. We have phenagin but if he wakes up with nausea and vomits 5 mins later there is not enough time for it to work. I just worry about him so much when he get sick randomly and no one can give us answers to why it happens. So now he is back in bed asleep and here I am 3 hours later still awake because I cant sleep when I worry about him. OH this is going to be a long day.
Dianejt

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:32:01 AM »

Frank also get random nausea & the nurses said it is part of kidney failure. It is scary I know.

caregiver to husband Frank

bladder cancer 1994
renal failure April 2009 due to blocked right ureter. Left kidney 20% function
November 18 2009 surgery to remove right ureter.
April 3, 2010 removal bladder, prostrate, left kidney.
June 11, 2010 started Hemo @ hospital
July 2, 2010 Embolized right Kidney due to hemoraging of tumor
September 11, 2010 RIP my love
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:52 AM »

dialysismomma, being a carer is so scary, as you say when they are ill it is a worry.You do not say what kind of dialysis your man is on, is he on dialysis? Being sick and nauseous is a part of kidney failure your best bet is to have a word with your neph or doctor, there are things they can give you. Are all his bloods all right? I also lay in bed at night worrying, its a kin to listening to a new born baby, if my husband coughs which is regular,  another thing with kidney failure, I am awake. If he moves or sits out of bed because he can not breath, I am awake, you would not be human if  you did not worry.
dialysismomma

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »

Billybags he is on home hemo. He has phenagrin for the nausea but most of the time it hits him so fast he has no time to take his pill. So I guess we have to deal with it
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »

It seems so. We, too, have seen this lovely yellow green stuff. Frequently the phenergan is unnecessary because, after throwing up, the nausea is gone.

Some identifiable causes for my brother are rapidly dropping bp such as at the beginning of dialysis, an empty stomach after sleeping, diabetes (gastroparesis), dirty blood (noticeable after the "three day weekend"), and the biggie - coughing until he throws up.

But, I cannot attribute all cases of nausea to one of these causes. Sometimes, for no obvious reason  :puke; Random... we carry 1 gallon ziplock bags with us wherever we go.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »

sounds about right, I vomit all the time when i was on hemo. I havent nearly as much since i started pd.
The bile vomits, i see mostly with bp issues. Random vomits from coughing too much, not getting good treatments, missing treatments, etc. Sometimes just happened too. Id sit there and be like WOAH vomit.
between the headaches and vomitting, i asked the dr, he said sometimes it happens and there is nothing to do .

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »

Hmm, sometimes Mike will randomly feel sick.. for 30 mins or so, then will dissapear. He never vomits though, but he has come close to.
He's on PD even  :waiting;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
coorsbob

I dont live for dialysis, I do dialysis to live.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »

I too have this problem. However it comes on so suddenly and with no warning. I do notice that with movment it gets worce and all i can do is try to get ovr it and lay down until it goes away.Was not sure of the reason for it but im thinking it may have to do with meds im on too.  Its just another part of living with kidney failure and has come part of the norm for me.

Diabetic 1990
Discovered Bladder defect 1995
Bladder Surgery 1995
Retinal Hemorrhage 2005
Eye surgery 2005
ESRD February 2008
Perm-Cath installed March 2008
In-center Hemo March 2008
PD Cath installed July 2008
CA PD June 2008
CC PD November 2008
Fistula placed Sept 2009
Training for Home Dialysis on the NxStage System One January 2010
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »

Well, I am really glad this thread was started. I have had a couple of episodes of vomiting, even tho I am not on D yet. Mentioned it to my neph and he says there must be something else wrong, as vomiting is not part of the kidney disease. So, he told me to take Prilosec, which I did and two or three days later, saw the ad on Plavix on TV, which says, do not take Prilosec if you take Plavix. I am rapidly losing confidence in this Dr. and may have to change soon.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »

jean, idk why he would say that, seeing u havent started D yet, thats when I was the worst. all the toxins are building up, thats probably why ur throwing up. When u start D u will probably stop doing it as much, unless ur not getting good treatments (which seems to be my problem) or from coughing so much i throw up, theres a few reasons we throw up due to dialysis lol

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »

My husband vomited  the whole time he was on dialysis- and we had countless doctors tell us it had nothing to do with kidney failure, this is the only place we ever received validation that it seemed to be just part of the disease of kidney failure. I printed of some old threads about this subject and gave them to his neph. Jack was hospitalized for vomiting over 20 times the first year, after that it settled down and he only vomited once or twice a day. He actually got used to dealing with it.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:03 AM »

Hubby had significant vomiting of bile when he was on in-center hemo but it has lessened with home hemo.  He still does but it seems more like it's when his BP is out of whack. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 06:18:21 AM »

its "funny" to me that all these nephs seem to say its not related to kf... I think the doctors are really... daft.

HemoDialysis since 2007
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:23:31 AM »

My husband vomits often too. from having kidney failure and I think sometimes right after he takes  his morning meds. Bile is usually thrown up after there is nothing left in your system to digest. It's really gross, but not necessarily meaning there is a complication from vomiting bile. Bile is stored in the Gall Bladder. Be sure to let the Dr. know all this though as they know your husband's medical history best. Seems though, vomiting & kidney failure go to together. I think it may have to due withthe factthat vomiting is often our bodies response to ridding something. Too much alcohol, a "bad" food, etc.. In your case, unwanted toxins in the blood. It is not pleasent and I certainly hope you can find a way to deal with this. Check all your pills and see if any of them have to taken on a full stomach. That may be the culprit.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
silverhead

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »

TS's last line is an important one, it reminded me that my bottle of Levothroid (thyroid hormone) states quite clearly on the label "take on empty stomach". I believe that food acts as a binder and it won't be absorbed into the system if taken with food or a not empty stomach......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »

I've never vomited, but I do have nauzea. I take zofran because in my oppinion it's better then phenergan as far as zofran doesn't make you feel loopy and stuff like phenergan does.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »

phenogrin is terrible, it makes me uber tired, and gives me the WORST case of rls known to man. Id rather vomit than have RLS!

HemoDialysis since 2007
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »

What are all these meds you guys are talking about?

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »

Have to love this site.  I do not usually throw up.  Today I have not been feeling well.  I threw up a bunch of bile and it concerned me so I googled kidney failure and throwing up bile and it took me right to this thread.  I knew I should have just checked here first. 
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:59:25 AM »

YLGuy, I love it . Fancy googling when you can have your pick of " budding nephs and nurses" on here. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bandance;
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »

:oops;
murf

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »

Sorry to be the prophet of doom. Sound about right.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 06:32:09 PM »

See this is strange - I've thrown up exactly once since starting D in 2006 - and that was in 2007 and I am almost certain it was something dodgy I ate. Sometimes I feel a bit sick in the stomach, but I've been lucky that I've never been that sick while on the machine (I threw up at home) or anything like that. I have to say also on my shft in the unit it's pretty rare for anyone to throw up, though it has happened - usually with acute/new patients.

Does that mean that throwing up is related to KD? I think it might well be that some forms of kidney failure, linked with specific medications, perhaps cause the vomtiing. I too have never heard of some of these meds you guys are on - because I'm just not on them - and that may definitely relate to what you're going through.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 11:51:45 PM »

I posted on another thread and was referred to this one. Its good to know that my sporadic vomiting puts me in good company. I have had the dry heaves and/or vomiting on both PD and in center D. It seems some what related to indigestion. I tried prilosec but that was useless. FYI my acupuncturist says that my digestion issues are directly related to my kidney failure. According to Chinese medicine the "middle burner" which is responsible for metabolizing fluids gets over loaded and the digestion gets overwhelmed and reverses. I do notice that I am more likely to up chuck after drinking something cold - like ice tea - which goes with the Chinese medicine view that cold is counter productive as this also suppresses the middle burner. I cant say i am a professional on this topic but it all makes sense - certainly more than what your average neph would say....

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
Sue

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:57 AM »

I always feel nauseated in the mornings, it's like morning sickness when you're pregnant !!  It wears off tho - I am pre-dialysis. My neph always asks me if I have started vomiting yet!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »