I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  taking pain killers during treatment?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: taking pain killers during treatment?  (Read 2680 times)
lorna

« on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »

I was just wondering if any one else takes pain medication while on a  hemo run?  is it uncommon? any info would be greatly appreciated!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:55:38 PM by lorna » Logged
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »

If the needles or the crappy chair causes pain, by all means, take something.  I never took anything stronger than tylenol for minor aches and pains, but I never had any issue with it from the nurses.  (I did bring my own, though, so I didn't have to ask for it.)  Dialysis did make it less effective for me, though - I assume the pain meds got filtered out faster than they normally would have.  I do know that I stayed groggy after any surgical procedure that involved anesthetic until I had a D session, too.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:18:29 AM »

What sort of pain? I did pd for 6 yrs , but havent had pain killers on hemo

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »

Yes, I'd be concerned if you are experiencing constant pain during treatment to find out what is causing it rather than taking medication to control it - apart from HD needles going in and the (hopefully infrequent!!) cramp, there shouldn't be any pain during hemo. Even once the needles are in they don't hurt. Have the nurses not tried to investigate what the cause of your pain is? What do you feel? Where is it? Is it in the fistula site(unless you're using a catheter, then that's irrelevant of course). Is it somewhere else?

needing pain relief during HD seems odd to me and that would concern me.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Phil

What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »

I agree with RichardMel.....on dialysis you should feel NO pain....if you do talk to the doc asap

1993 - Diagnosed with Alport Sindrome
April 2010 - Fistula surgery on right forearm
May 2010 - Started HD
Still waiting for the call!!!!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »

The only pain i get is in my  :sir ken; and thats from sitting on it for too long !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »

I'm sure McDonalds would be happy to help you develop your  :sir ken; into a natural cushion KS.  ;D

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »

That is something I have been wondering about too.  I have intense back pain if I have to lie on my back for oh, longer than 15 minutes. So, I usually take a vicodin before I go to bed. Weill they let me take it at dialyisis?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »

I should think so Jean . I get neck spasms because of how i have to recline ..ish in the chair/bed, so my doctor gave me some relaxants. I take it an hour before i go in , to give it chance to start working.

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

I can't believe how lucky many of you are.  I have pain EVERY time I have treatment.  The needles, especially the arterial, burn the entire time I'm on Dialysis.  The mantra at my clinic is "as long as your labs are fine, we don't really care." 

I have access to Vicodin, which I occasionally take 1500-2000mg of just to get through treatment.  Not every time mind you, but often enough that I need a new prescription every couple of months.

Maybe I'm just being punished for being me.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:26 PM »

Stacy mate that really sucks and the unit attitude is even worse I think - D is bad enough, but normal dialysis should be pain free(and thus bloody boring). Is there nothing you can follow up with your neph?

I'm glad you have some drug relief, but that still seems wrong.

I do count myself as lucky in this instance.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
brandi1leigh

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »

I have a lot of pain as well. My center is sympathetic, but basically says that's the way it goes.

I also have a lot of back pain, which I hear is pretty normal with PKD. I'm wary of complaining too much, because my neph says the only solution is to remove my kidneys. I'm really hesitant to do this because I still get a little production out of them...

Luckily I have a great general practitioner who gives me a vicodin prescription.
lorna

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

My runs have been much better now im into the swing of things
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:54:31 PM by lorna » Logged
Mike3723

Hello Everyone

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 01:21:07 AM »

I am almost positive even though people are taking pain killers either before or during treatment they are not going to feel that much relief from them because the machine actually dialyzes the pain medicine out of the bloodstream..... the only reason i no this is because i busted my knee up jetskiing out in the ocean had to get surgery to fix the tendon i ripped and i was in the most pain through out my whole time recovering after the first hour into treatment.

Kidney prombs since i was born
Jan 31 2001 - First Transplant (Dad gave)
2006 - Started dialysis for the first time
Currenty Still ON !!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »