I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  nocturnal dialysis and hospital stays?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nocturnal dialysis and hospital stays?  (Read 4938 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

for those on nocturnal dialysis, I have a question. If you were admited to the hospital that only had day dialysis like most hospitals I know do, would they just have you go on a 4 hour dialysis for the time you were in the hospital or how would they
 handle someone that is on that program, wouldn't it mess with the body? or is there a way they could give you your nocturnal treatment while in the hospital?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »

Usually the hospital can't do nocturnal and you have to fit into there schedule.  You just have to watch your diet and fluids a lot more closely.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
M3Riddler

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

for those on nocturnal dialysis, I have a question. If you were admited to the hospital that only had day dialysis like most hospitals I know do, would they just have you go on a 4 hour dialysis for the time you were in the hospital or how would they
 handle someone that is on that program, wouldn't it mess with the body? or is there a way they could give you your nocturnal treatment while in the hospital?
Troy

Normally, when someone is in the hosptial, they will put you back on the 3x per week schedule. There are many reasons for this including billing, lack of availability as many need to dialyze in the hospital and they will not tie up a machine for somoene to do 8 hours while they could put 2 people on in the same time period and be paid for 2 treatments instead of 1. Also a staffing issue at times.
This is very unfortunate. If you do daily treaments, they should be able to provide daily treatments as this is what was perscribed for you just as medication is. If you were admitted for chest pain, would they treat you for hemroids? 
Unfortunately, it comes down to $ as they will only get paid for 3tx per week in the hospital so why would they want anyone to get quality better the inadequate 3x per week dialysis.

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »

My mother has been on dialysis for 5 years.  She has been in ICU for the past 2 weeks with a blood infection.  On top of that, she has ESRD, lung damage (from smoking for decades) and congestive heart failure.  Normally, she does 3x in clinic, but while she has been in the hospital, she has been dialyzed each day for a short period.  Each day they evaluate her needs, and sometimes she has been dialyzed per her normal schedule.  Point being they assess her dialysis needs each day and proceed accordingly.  If she was not in ICU but was instead in a regular room, perhaps they would not be so flexible.  I would imagine that most hospitals would work in much the same way.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »

My experience; The hospital puts me back on four hours every other day. They also sometimes will run you more if your blood work says you need it.  Most of the nurses and docs I talk to do not know what nocturnal dialysis is when I say I do eight hours they are aghast!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »